• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lukie88

Misfiring 1.9 205

Guest Lukie88

Hey guys,

any help is greatly appreciated.

Basically, bought a 1988 205 gti fairly recently and did all the usual service bits, plugs, oil, dizzy etc.

its sat on the drive for 5/6 weeks being started ocassionally and warmed up.

got it on the road this weekend drove it for 5/10 mins and it was absolutely fine. So got it home and sorted the insurance out.

Went to drive it again and it was misfiring like a b*tch. Same again happened on sunday, took it out for 5/10 and it was fine, drove it about an hour later and misfiring.

It appears to misfire when it gets warm but 1st drive of the day its fine.

I've ordered some new HT leads as we didnt do those when servicing and they are a bit ropey.

If that doesn't work has anyone else got any ideas!!!

Found a second hand coil on ebay which I may need to purchase!

Cheers, Luke

Baz

Ignition amp, coil pack, distributor pick-up lead/connection etc, worth trying a few things, it's a case of just swapping things out until you find it. Do you know anyone locally with a working 205 that you could borrow a few things to try?

welshpug

does the rev counter do a merry dance when it misfires? this would indicate an ignition producing fault (coil or ignition amplifier) rather than a HT or plug issue.

Guest Lukie88

Still no joy,

have change coil and everything electrical except the ignition amp which I have on order.

Its now backfiring as well as misfiring.

The rev count works fine whilst and not doing a dance.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers guys

Alex G

Have a check that there is no water in the dizzy cap, even a small bit of moisture causes those exact problems.

Also check the connection to the AFM is secure, just in case.

dcc

test water for oil.

large

If you have a misfire when the car has warmed up I would have a look at the ecu temp sender.

Guest Lukie88

Right,

losing the plot now.

Had a look at plugs and they're all a bit black! 1 more so than the other so im thinking its ignition based but I really dont know anymore as I've changed everything in the ignition.

What ive done so far.

New distributor

New plugs

new ignition amp (with heat paste also)

new coil

New HT Leads

AFM seems to be fine...

It runs like a dream until oil temp gets 3/4 and it just develops horrible misfire.

Willing to try anything now

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

j_turnell

Try replacing the ecu temp sensor.

Masekwm

Oil temp gets to 3/4??? I've never seen that before

Guest Lukie88
Oil temp gets to 3/4??? I've never seen that before

So you think it could be a dodgy sensor?

Any clues on where to buy them from?

Cheers

matyasg
So you think it could be a dodgy sensor?

Any clues on where to buy them from?

Cheers

If it's faulty it doesn't matter for the ECU. ECU uses the water and air temperature sensors only for the calculation. You should check your water temp sensor.

AndyCrom

Please forgive me for resurrecting an old thread,

Ive been doing the rounds searching for help with a similar issue.

Ive got a 1991 1.9 130 D6B engine and recently Ive just rebuilt the top of the engine with full gaskets belts seals etc etc and before the stripdown it ran about as lumpy as a bowl of porridge, anyway, its all back together and running pretty well apart from missing a beat/misfiring under load, i'll try to explain better.

Idol is slightly up and down, but nothing that im worried about (SAD is working)

Whilst at, lets say 60mph, the engine struggles to get over 5,500rpm and seems to be misfiring probably every 50th stroke, yet if I knock it out of gear without slowing down or changing anything else except load on the engine and stamp a dose of revs on, the engine it belts right round well past 6800rpm without any hesitation or problems, but put it straight into gear and the issue returns?

before i changed the top end etc the rev gauge used to do a proper merry dance under load/in gear when it got past 3500rpm, alas it still does it now, but no where near as bad, before it used to stick at say 3750rpm but the engine note was still increasing then all of a sudden it would pop up to 4500rpm and do this upto about 6000rpm, but as before has no issues passing through the rev band when its out of gear.

other than this issue im very happy with my first 205 (after being a Nova convert).... so much so Ive just uploaded a 122 photo rebuild to my facebook, just a shame I cant show all on here yet (lack of posts!)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give!

Andy

welshpug

I would replace or refurbish the AFM, the SAD is quite often blamed for this needlessly, as its a very simple heat operated valve that works very slowly, not like the active idle valves used on newer systems like the MI16.

Anthony

before i changed the top end etc the rev gauge used to do a proper merry dance under load/in gear when it got past 3500rpm, alas it still does it now, but no where near as bad, before it used to stick at say 3750rpm but the engine note was still increasing then all of a sudden it would pop up to 4500rpm and do this upto about 6000rpm, but as before has no issues passing through the rev band when its out of gear.

Ignition amp would be my first port of call with a circa 4000rpm misfire and the rev counter behaving oddly.

welshpug

ahh yes good point anthony, didn't think to ask what the rev counter was up to when it was messing about!

AndyCrom

is that built into the coil pack on mine? my coil is on top of the manifold

Anthony

No, it's a separate module that fires the coil, a little bigger than a match box with a 6/7 pin connector. It's probably on an alloy plate on the drivers side strut top next to the fuel filter, otherwise it'll be on the opposite side behind the battery.

AndyCrom

gotcha, i know what you mean now! doh!, do you think tho that the coil pack will be ok or just get a new one also?

thanks again

AndyCrom

just bin to have a look and its where you said on the drivers strut... on closer inspection for a part number i noticed the plug is only half in, possibly pin 7 on the connector wasnt connected properly, will have a look on the way home from work later to see, if not ive booked one from the motorfactors just in case.

Thanks all

AndyCrom

Ignition amp would be my first port of call with a circa 4000rpm misfire and the rev counter behaving oddly.

well i changed the ignition amp this weekend and most of the problem has now gone.

What ive now got is, i still get intermittent blips or misfires over 4k rpm and the rev gauge still sticks at random spots but not whilst in gear, but compared to before its probably only happening once every 1/2 mile or so.....

but now I have a new problem in that if i drive at 30 or 40 with low revs in either 4th or 5th gear with just enough throttle to keep the car at the low speed there seems to be an intermittent stutter or misfire, but goes as soon as i apply a little more throttle or remove my foot from the pedal completely, the misfire stops.

Could the two be in the same problem?

Anthony

Did you use some heat transfer paste between the amp and metal plate when you fitted it? Not saying that it's behind your remaining issues, but they really do need it to work correctly and to ensure longeivity.

Also, was it a proper Bosch item or a generic/pattern one? Some people have had issues with non-genuine (i.e. not Bosch) parts that have been rectified by replacing it with a Bosch item.

AndyCrom

Did you use some heat transfer paste between the amp and metal plate when you fitted it? Not saying that it's behind your remaining issues, but they really do need it to work correctly and to ensure longeivity.

Also, was it a proper Bosch item or a generic/pattern one? Some people have had issues with non-genuine (i.e. not Bosch) parts that have been rectified by replacing it with a Bosch item.

yeah it came with paste, so much so that when i put the heatsink back on I had to clean up the issuing mess afterwards, and no, I did ask my local pug dealer first but they couldnt get an original one so I got an intermotor one from the local factors for £35... also the last one was a Lucas and when I took it off it had a hairline crack across the back of it, which is why i thought the new symptoms would have been somthing else.

Edited by AndyCrom

Atreides

well i changed the ignition amp this weekend and most of the problem has now gone.

What ive now got is, i still get intermittent blips or misfires over 4k rpm and the rev gauge still sticks at random spots but not whilst in gear, but compared to before its probably only happening once every 1/2 mile or so.....

but now I have a new problem in that if i drive at 30 or 40 with low revs in either 4th or 5th gear with just enough throttle to keep the car at the low speed there seems to be an intermittent stutter or misfire, but goes as soon as i apply a little more throttle or remove my foot from the pedal completely, the misfire stops.

Could the two be in the same problem?

I had almost exactly the same problems as you last year, and changed everything ignition related, to no avail. The only thing I didn't bother changing was the HT leads, as they were relatively new, but I was at the end of my tether so got a new set....it instantly cured all my missfire problems.

On a side note, make sure you buy a decent set of leads, as these cars seem really sensitive to crappy/cheap leads.

Sign in to follow this