• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

New Car Dilemma

mainline

Hi, I am about to trade in the 147 JTDm for something newer (it keeps breaking down) and more reliable (it keeps breaking down). First off I was looking for another small diesel, but now i'm not so sure, perhaps something with a bit of fire in its belly! Got to be something the Mrs feels comfortable driving, so a 350z or a Z4 is probably ruled out, but with enough performance to keep me happy.

Basically got it down to four:

BMW 1 Series 118D M-Sport (the sensible choice, very economical, RWD!, just enough power, classy interior, residuals, sensible sensible sensible)

Mini Cooper S (drove one yesterday and it impressed me hugely, very pointy, lovely engine note, great feedback, thumping high end acceleration)

Focus ST (not driven yet - compromise between the BM and the S?)

Renaultsport 197 (new shape - got to have somthing french and hot in there eh?)

Unfortunately the brand new Clio 200 is just out of my budget, which is £10-14k preferrably nearer £10.

Please don't suggest crazy stuff like a ten year old 996 (yep, I have seen them) or a Skyline R33! I would obviously love a car like that, and I have lived that dream before, but this time need to get something new, low mileage and 'sensible' :huh:

Please help as I am already completely torn between the BM and the Cooper S. Not driven the ST or the Renner yet.

shalmaneser

STs are bloody thirsty aren't they. Bit of a chavvy image too. Beemer is pretty slow, have you driven one?

I'd be looking at the MCS or 197 if I were you. I guess you're referring to the mk1 MINI Cooper S, that supercharged engine is a beaut!

eldoro

When it comes to the clios theres allways one that stands out, thats the V6 one! :P

But the 197 looks good, but i dont know allot about them.

mainline

Cheers Shalmaneser, I was referring to the new MCS, with a turbo not a supercharger. Have driven the 1 Series and it seemed relatively quick, but not exactly lightning, probably about the same as my Alfa.

Should add that I would be using it for a mixture of commuting, some very long motorway drives, and a bit of B road blasting. Need something that's quite easy to live with and was thinking the Clio might be a bit thrashy and unrefined.

Clio V6 would be a right laugh, but don't think the Mrs could handle it! Would expect it to be backwards through a hedge within a couple of weeks :D

McDude

I used to own a Focus ST - very nice all round package. Cruises well on motorways, quick on B-roads, nice seats and the 5-pot makes a lovely sound. It will even manage trackdays if the track isn't too tight; great around the 'ring. Drinks fuel though, I was averaging 22MPG. If you can get round that then it's a great package.

I've driven the Cooper S with the Penatgon engine (Supercharged) and thought it was great fun. A very comprimised package though and not sure it'd be great on motorways.

Also driven the 118D and it really is a bit slow. Nice interior though - looks like a bread van

shalmaneser
I used to own a Focus ST - very nice all round package. Cruises well on motorways, quick on B-roads, nice seats and the 5-pot makes a lovely sound. It will even manage trackdays if the track isn't too tight; great around the 'ring. Drinks fuel though, I was averaging 22MPG. If you can get round that then it's a great package.

I've driven the Cooper S with the Penatgon engine (Supercharged) and thought it was great fun. A very comprimised package though and not sure it'd be great on motorways.

Also driven the 118D and it really is a bit slow. Nice interior though - looks like a bread van

I think the later 197s had a longer 6th gear so better for motorways. I haven't tried the new turbo MCS, I'm sure it's a great car but the supercharger whine on the mk1 was so much fun!

Guess it depends on what compromises you're willing to make, the ride is much firmer on the sports cars over the beemer.

andyjstone

I traded in my Alfa 147JTM (kept breaking down and falling apart) earlier this year for a Volvo S40 D5 R-Design (on the advice of someone on here) as I wanted something different and like you I do a lot of motorway drives.

I've had it remapped to silly torques and it's mental on the motorway, very comfortable and nice to be in, but not so good on the twisties - but I have the 205 for that!