• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lankylad78

Have I Passed Up A Perfectly Good Car?

Lankylad78

Hi Gents,

I am looking for my first 205 GTi, and went to view a 1.9 this morning. I would like you opinions on whether I am a complete lunatic or not for walking away. I appreciate it is difficult without not seeing the car (don't have any pics sorry), but I will try and discribe it as concisely and accurately as possible.

1992 on a "J". White with peugeot bodykit (is stamped on sideskirt under front wheelarch). Standard except Koni shocks all-round and white speedline alloys (x5).

138k miles with 6 owners from new. MOT till Sept '10. No tax. Only covered about 20 miles since last MOT in Sept '09, and last MOT before that was '03-'04 where it had about 127k miles on. Dry stored from '04 to '09, and I am confident about this as there are no major rust problems. Absolutely loads of SH up to 2004, all the old MOT's and even the original handbooks.

Running wise is fine. Idles well, didn't stall. All readings (oil pressure, temp etc) are as they should be. No blue smoke on start up, no leaks anywhere that I could see. Pulls well in all the gears. Tracks straight. Brakes straight, although they aren't brilliant, but it has been stood for a while. Steering felt tight and precise. Sunroof looked good, no rust, and made the obligatory hiss upon closing.

That is all the good stuff, now the things that started niggling me. I understand that most of these are only small things in their own right, but cumulatively they started to put doubts into my mind:

Ride height at front higher than the rear. Surely it should sit level. Note; the rear camber didn't look too bad. Tricky to tell with the bodykit in the way, but didn't cause me any major concern.

Both front seats ripped (I know these can be replaced) and severely loose. I don't know how this car passed the last MOT, especially the passenger seat. If I could have braked hard enough my dear old da, along with the seat would have gone through the windscreen! I couldn't figure out though if it was just the seats loose on the runners, or the runners themselves.

Direcetion dial for heater not working, but heater itself fine.

Stereo not working, but it is the original and not that bothered about this, but thought it might help you get an idea.

Passenger door dented under trim, and also not flush with the seal along the top of the frame. Think you could probably pull the dent out, and pull the door back into shape to create proper fit. In fact, not sure if it had anything to do with the bodykit, but the shut lines on both doors didn't look perfect.

Paint work was in pretty good order for a car of 18-years old. No peeling, or stand-out problems. There was some paint cracking along the crease above the rear side windows on both sides (don't know if this is common?). And cracking on both inner sills of the doors (in either corners bottom of A and B pillars), and a small amount of rust where the A pillar meets the wing on the passenger side.

Both headlights craked, and the front valance and rear bumper could do with a touch-up.

The guy said he'd had the cam belt replaced not long ago, but had no receipt as he paid cash. But he let slip that he had a s/steel pipe (some sort of water pipe I think) replaced at the same time and I found a receipt for that. So I am treating it as needing the cam belt replacing as well.

Apart from the dent on the passenger door, the car looking straight, with no rust in the boot or engine bay.

I know that loads of you will tell that all of these things can be fixed, and what did I expect from a car nearly 20-years old. But as I'm not particularly knowledgable about these cars, I was thinking it could cost me close to a grand to sort all these little problems out. Maybe I'm way out either way, but that was what the little calculator in my head was doing all the way round.

That is the car in a nutshell. Sorry if I seemed to have droaned on for ever and a day, but I wanted to try and paint as clear a picture as possible. I was in 2 minds whether to walk away or buy, and I still am now.

Now this is the part you really want to know. The price. This is where you either agree with me for walking away, or called me a complete d*ck! Either way I would like your comments as I've been called worse and have thick skin.

Started off last month at £2000. This month down to £1500. Got him down to £1250 before walking away. Iknow, I know. I suspect most of the comments will involve the word d*ck somewhere. But I just had this feeling in my gut. My offer to him was £1000, and I would have bought it for that.

So please tell me. Have a made a major Faux Pas?!

Cheers

Sean

Batfink

Nope.

I think once you have seen a few 205's you can buy easily on your gutt feeling.

If i find issues that worry me I walk away. I bought my last one knowing the engine was dead, and the rear suspension knackered. I knew what needs to be done to make it good again. The rest 'felt' right so I got it. I've had no surprises yet. I have replaced more than I was initially going to but i've not really cut any corners and done more than i neccessarily had to.

Edited by Batfink

notamondayfan

sounds like a pretty average gti in all honesty, nothing to bad though as cam belts are relativley straight forward, as are many of the problems you mention. A good rolling shell alone is worth £600+, with a healthy engine, and not a lot else wrong, I think £1200 was an OK price.

I dont think white paint suffers nearly as badly as other colours, so just look for shine and waxing.

The only that would put me off is the seats. were the bolts just loose, or has the bottom of the car rusted badly and corroded where the seats are bolted down to? or were the seats just not connected properly to the rails?

i would doubt it cost any where near a grand to get it up to a good condition, especially if you do some work yourself and source 2nd hand parts.

There are plenty more fish in the sea though, and keep an eye out on the forsale section!!

oz.

Sounds about right. Initial price sounded a bit high but I'd be happy with the price you go it of.

Some of what you mentioned is what what I'd expect on a car that old when not owned but an anallist. The seats sound worrying but hopefully it's something simple

rescue dude

I echo what's been said about the seats. Could be nothing but could be really bad.

Has the beam been lowered? Is it not that the front is too high but the rear is too low?

I'd be worried about the rear beam.

If you can get someone who knows 205's to go with you it would be worth a second look, even if it's just to put your mind at rest.

MrG

personally I think you made the right decision, too much sounded like it needed sorting for the figures you mention.

omega

if it doesnt feel right then walk away as there will always be another car but...

you are looking at a old car so there are going to be faults it depends what you can live with/want to fix.but the more you look at the better idea you will get.

but if you think that you will just buy one jump in and drive it then you are in for a surprise there will always be jobs that need doing,bits WILL BREAK AND FAIL FOR NO REASON and there are always improvements to make.

Masekwm
Has the beam been lowered? Is it not that the front is too high but the rear is too low?

Don't they look like they sit slightly lower at the back? I know my standard 8v does.

Lankylad78

Re seats: I had a good poke around underneath, I couldn't see anything concerning. Think they probably weren't mounted right on the rails, but the MOT from 2004 mentioned it and I fail to see how it got through an MOT in 2009 with that problem.

Re ride height: You're probably right about the rear beam being lower rather than the front being higher, but there was a noticable difference. You didn't even have to stand side on to see it, I could tell walking up to it.

Re price: Agree on what you say. £2k was too high initially and £1250 is probably a fair price. If he'd come down a bit more then I probably would have bought it (still would have had those niggles in the back of my head though).

The problem I have is that I've always let my heart rule my head in the past when it came to car buying, and have always been lucky. That is until the last car I bought. It was bought on a whim and it was the first one I saw (major no no!). It ended up being a complete money pit. I loved the car (Jag x-type), but I have never regretted buying a car more in my life. So because of that I am now more inclined to listen to my head. Plus I have never bought a car that is more than 5-years old. I'm a novice when it comes to older cars. I know a car is a car and most of it is common sense, but never has the saying "Once bitten. Twice shy" been more applicable.

I'm off on hols tomorrow, so I'll sleep on it for a week. And if do decide I want it when I get back and it's gone then so be it. Plus, you never know I might find another one on the lovely Isle of Anglesey! :huh:

Thanks for the comments, muchly appreciated.

lemmingzappa

I still want that front valance :huh:

blue_haddock

If you want to get a feel for a 205 pop along to the staffs/cheshire meet this thurrsday coming - will be a few there ranging from pretty much standard to full on track slag with everything in between.

Its in Brereton Green just south of holmes chapel so only a stones throw from you.

Lankylad78

@ Lemmingzappa - B*llocks! I knew there was something I forgot! I'll let you have the address, it's not that hard too find and I never saw any big guard dogs :huh:

Mr Haddock, Thanks for the invite, that is literally walking distance for me. Though I am inherently lazy, so would probably drive. Unfortunately I am on my jolly's next week (a whole week with the in-laws, I must have upset someone!), so wont be able to make it. Do you have regular meets? Would love to come down to the next one.

lemmingzappa

heh, you dont happen to have an e-mail address for the guy do you ?

I wonder if I can persuade him into selling it to me seperately.

Lankylad78

No email I'm afraid. It's an old style alladins graveyard of cars (rooks of mx5's, a couple of integrale's and everything in between). Doubt he's even heard of email, it's just that sort of place. Not convinced he would sell it seperately, but if you don't ask, you don't get. Ask for Bob on 01564 779746.

blue_haddock

Yes we do have meets every month and we are getting more and more peeps coming along each month.

See my thread in the meets section entitled North Staffs/South Cheshire meet.