• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest samfowler

1.6gti Kent Cam Help

Guest samfowler

Hi guys,

I have a 1.6gti and I am thinking of putting a kent cam pulley in it to give it a bit more kick. I would appreciate some info on whether this is a good idea, would I need to upgrade other engine parts etc? Any info would be great!

Thanks, Sam

welshpug

a pulley on its own will not do one bit of difference really!

Guest samfowler

Ok thanks, so a full cam would? But would I need to replace anything else to cope with it?

pug_ham

If you fit a new Kent cam with a vernier pulley the head will need skimming to make the best from it but even then if you get the basic cams from Kent or Piper that can be used without isse on the injection system they give very little gain over a standard cam.

Have a read through Puma racing for a more indepth reasoning.

Graham.

DrSarty

I also think you would benefit from a little theory reading.

What I mean is, understanding - even at Wikipedia level - cam shafts, cylinder heads and pulleys; possibly even inlet and exhaust systems too - such that you don't get 'suckered in' by or rely on companies' claims about performance gains from fitting their parts.

As Graham (Pugtorque) has said, there's more work required to make a difference, and a lot of work to make a big (noticeable) difference.

To give your engine more kick, it needs to burn more fuel and air, and perhaps do it more efficiently; that's where the power comes from. Adding a pulley won't do this.

It'll give you the ability to adjust what you have, but that won't give you any more.

I would strongly advise making (servicing) the car as healthy as possible to ensure you have factory power, i.e. 115bhp on the standard (not very early) 1.6 GTI XU5JA engine. Refurbish your distributor; clean your injectors; new ECU coolant temp sensor; clean AFM, all tubes and pipes; new spark plugs and HT leads, and then see what you have. You may find this is plenty, as it really is a great engine in OE working condition.

Edited by DrSarty

Sign in to follow this