• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

New Car

24seven

I've turned away from 205s for now, and gone to the 309 dark side. Swapped my 205 Mi16 for a 100% standard, full service history black 309 GTi with 79k on the clocks, and I'm a very happy boy!

The 205 was in good shape, just had a fresh MOT and drove exceptionally well for it's 126k miles (at some point it was rallied and I suspect had undergone a suspension overhaul since passing 100k). This 309 just feels superior! Though I already hate the clattery 1.9 8v over the Mi16's I've had in the 205, it just feels and handles in a far more refined manner. Little details like the numbers on the clocks so you're not guessing temperatures and pressures, the levers that open the rear windows from between the seats (I'd never seen that before, how cool is that!!), the power steering which I didn't have in the 205 actually feels a hell of a lot more responsive than I expected (the net result being as weighty as the non PAS 205, but with a shorter throw from lock to lock) and round the bends it feels more stable and comfortable than both the 205 and 306 felt.

It does need a bit of bodywork TLC though, lacquer peel on the roof and bonnet plus a little rust along the bottom of the driver's door as well as the usual faded trim. Otherwise I'm chuffed to bits with it. The engine has got to go though. Anyone want a strong healthy 1.9 8v with verifiable 79k mileage? :D

Pug_Power_Dave

Nice one! I went to the dark side for a while :D they're good cars! Shame they dont look quite as cool as the 205! even the rear window levers dont quite make up for it though they are a nice touch!

I remeber seeing a kitted 309 on a mag cover ages back now! that did look sweeet! :)

hexhamstu
309GTIkitDimmaIlfaitbienressorirlab.jpg

24seven

I do like dimma 309's - there was a red one pictured with a red 205 dimma posted some time ago that search isn't bringing up for me. Bodykits aren't my thing though, I prefer my cars to be more understated, so THIS is how I want it to look.

happygoron
postpics.gif Edited by happygoron

Pug_Power_Dave

Thats the one stu!!

Very niiiiiice! :D

muddatrucker

That Dimma looks evil, love it! Went off the 309 when a friend told me it looked like a Rover...

jord294

look forward to some pics :D

i've got an excellent black bonnet here for sale if your interested ?

lemmingzappa
I remeber seeing a kitted 309 on a mag cover ages back now! that did look sweeet! B)

As far as I know that car no longer exists. Was last owned in Ireland I think.

MerlinGTI

I'm in love with that dimma!

24seven
look forward to some pics B)

i've got an excellent black bonnet here for sale if your interested ?

May well take you up on that bonnet. Cleaning it today I got a proper look at just how bad this one is... It's bad!

This is as I got it. Faded bumpers and that red stripe hiding the swage line in the bodywork was doing my head in.

p1010986t.th.jpg

After a few hours with a heat gun, glue remover, back to black, turtle wax and some elbow grease...

p1010985s.th.jpg

Richie

Looks tidy. I'd like a miami blue/goodwood green gti myself. The rot puts me off.

24seven

There's a little showing through in places on this, bottom of the drivers door and just blow the lower rear corner of the bootlid, plus a teeny spot of surface rust on the roofrack rail (is that what it's called?) so it's not too bad.

blue_haddock

i too fell in love with the twiddly knobs between the seats to open the rear windows on my old goodwood!

Richie
i too fell in love with the twiddly knobs between the seats to open the rear windows on my old goodwood!

That sounds cool, the simple things ey.

Anthony

I do like 3dr Phase 2 309's, but have you checked the usual hot-spots for rust? The bits you can see are normally rot-free, so the fact yours has rust creeping through doesn't bode well for the sills and around the fuel tank.... :huh:

carbers205

Guy you arse, I know the exact pic you mean but I cant find it either. Spent ages looking too!

What I do know is that they were owned by Dave Baker (Big D) but I cant even find them under his old posts.

Someone must have an idea how to track them down.

Daviewonder
I've turned away from 205s for now, and gone to the 309 dark side.

Close the door on your way out ;)

But seriously it looks like a really nice example. I'd love to get a tidy 309 and gti6 it :)

Edited by Daviewonder

CosKev
But seriously it looks like a really nice example. I'd love to get a tidy 309 and gti6 it B)

;)

100_5164.jpg

100_5166.jpg

100_5330.jpg

:o

Cloverleaf

Haha. Any excuse Kev!

Good work on the 309 purchase, like Anthony said tho, I'd be checking around the tank for rust.

The Arch Bishop
100_5330.jpg

:o

Insert choice of dribbly, drooling noises here...

Very nice indeed!

24seven

Looks nice TAB! Have you kept the 6 speed box with the engine? I'm thinking about engine options and kinda lime the idea of an 8v turbo, anyone know if there's much to be gained from using the 8v n/a head & inlet on the turbo bottom end?

Looking through the history it's had the tank dropped for some welding already, but I'll keep an eye out for any more. There's a slight clunking from what I suspect is the front left lower ball joint nd the power steering pump groans a bit at extreme locks, but otherwise it's in really good shape.

Having done a few more miles in it I'm even more impressed! I still hate the 8v, but the handling far surpasses any pug I've driven before. I ned to go for a proper drive with no gear in the back to get a proper feel for it.

[edit] just spotted those thumbnails are backwards, the top one is post-cleanup.

Edited by 24seven