• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

Advice As To What Engine To Put In 205

danny56712

I love my 205s and have night navigationed a 205 mi16, never did well but that was not due to the car.

Now i am going starting autocross and need advice.

Car has to be 1400or less or 1600 or less, not sure which class im taking yet so my options

8v tu

16v tu but is weight balance as big an issue realistically as iv read

8v xu 1.6 gti.

By the way i have aftermarket management so this can be taken into account but modifying besides this will be limited this year due to finances but i have room for essentials alright....

also i know ma gearbox is fairly poor so i would be looking at fitting a be conversion and obtaining an lsd no matter which way i go..

compare the two 1.6s against each other but also lads try take note i am competing against civics with vtec in both classes 1.6 160bhp standard form and 1.3 sohc with vtec heads on the engines so not easy starting point but where can i be most competitive in your opinions.

i have read up all my history on this but its a specific racing type on quarry loose surface so differs to track day and road cars totally.

any advice greatly apreciated.

cheers and thanks

Joe-Tait

I would start with something basic/easy to replace like a 8 Tu and see how you get on

danny56712

workload etc is no problem like i am quite experienced and dad is mechanic dont worry about this area only area i wouldn be very good yet is fabricating

danny56712

this vtec has me interested big time i must say, but is it really this easy lol

Lan

alloy 8v tu, 106 xsi or s1 106 rallye engine both <1400, both 100bhp

danny56712
alloy 8v tu, 106 xsi or s1 106 rallye engine both <1400, both 100bhp

and is it easy to gain more with these like and am i better using a 205 to a 106 ya?

Baz

I've autocrossed 205's on and off for years, and looked after a few too, a good 1.6 XU will always be better than a 1.3-1.4 TU. I couldn't help but think that the Rallye we ran would've been much better off converted to XS spec, it wasn't slow really, just would've been quicker with the more powerful, lighter alloy block engine.

n500992458_129091_1192.jpg

Lan
and is it easy to gain more with these like and am i better using a 205 to a 106 ya?

if you can afford to with any engine there are plenty of gains to be had, decent exhaust manifold and then throttle bodies are always a good start only real issue are the gearboxes if you can get hold of a xsara picasso be4 type you will have no problems, there a lightweight engine so they make the car feel very balanced, and yes 205 easily :D

danny56712

well the way i look at xu is it stands no chance against the likes of ballys machine above. I do want an engine winning its class like but it seems huge work but the correct way to go. and rallye engine seems the correct decision as regard <1400cc. Now to get bell housing modified is my text task to see costs of it and availability of these k20 lumps

SPGTi

Look at building a 1.4 Tu 16v. I think there are a few threads in the TU section. Quite a few of these running in rally cars now, some with a reputed 190bhp.

Steve

welshpug

I'd be inclined to go down the 8 valve XU engine, as its lighter than the 16v TU and sits further back, it also has a standard gearbox you can use rather than spending more money on converting a TU engine to run with a BE box.

if regs allow, I'd have a crack at building a 16v XU5, or try a B16B conversion.

danny56712
I'd be inclined to go down the 8 valve XU engine, as its lighter than the 16v TU and sits further back, it also has a standard gearbox you can use rather than spending more money on converting a TU engine to run with a BE box.

if regs allow, I'd have a crack at building a 16v XU5, or try a B16B conversion.

by 16v xu5 do you mean 1.6xu 8v gti engine with mi head or what....and does this not need custom pistons or rods no??

welshpug

yes, exactly that :) either an MI16 head, or a 1.8 16v head nicely worked over, or a gti6 head, or an XU10J4R head.

danny56712

has someone got the info on whats required to fit one of these heads on the 1.6 engine

Batfink

The head is the easy bit if you use a late model block, but you need custom pistons and rods...

danny56712

been researching and 1600 rods will do the job with custom pistons i think, anyone have a price on custom pistons?

Batfink

They would need to be taller pistons by I think off the top of my head 4 or 5 mm

welshpug

they need to be the same height as 405 1.9 SRI pistons, i.e flat top, but have some valve cutouts, an intruder on the top of the piston may be needed if you want higher compression to work with cams.

danny56712
they need to be the same height as 405 1.9 SRI pistons, i.e flat top, but have some valve cutouts, an intruder on the top of the piston may be needed if you want higher compression to work with cams.

Taking everything into consideration and having talken to guys today i am entering the lower class sorry to say lads, this is the 1400cc class so now from research i have seen the rallye 1.3 engines and the 1.4 xsi or is a combination possible?

good induction and exhaust will be put on as well as a kms ecu so mixing parts from different engines is fine once thee cc is kept to 1400. any advise and help is greatly appreciated guys.

danny56712
Taking everything into consideration and having talken to guys today i am entering the lower class sorry to say lads, this is the 1400cc class so now from research i have seen the rallye 1.3 engines and the 1.4 xsi or is a combination possible?

good induction and exhaust will be put on as well as a kms ecu so mixing parts from different engines is fine once thee cc is kept to 1400. any advise and help is greatly appreciated guys.

this thread can be closed and will re open in tu engine area as i know this is what i need