• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eldoro

How Can I Get A Bit More?

eldoro

So i have owned this Gentry for about a year now and i love it to death! :)

Me and him have gone through so mouch in this time and its become some kind of a buddy of mine. :)

But after some drag races here and there i really want a little more out of my 1.9. I dont know how much bhp its giving me now but it has gotten a complet rebuild and should give me about 105 originaly. but i just really want to leave thos arogant Civic 1.6 VTIs, its close, in 3rd gear the civic started to go past me, well it was the 4 dore civic so it could have been the 1.8 version, but i want just a tad bit more out of my Gentry, what can i do?

The Gentry is here to stay.

And yes, after my studies i will be getting an mi 16 or a GTI 6 motor.

hexhamstu

So your asking a question then answering it?

What should I have for tea?

And yes I will be having chicken jalfrezi and rice.

stutto
So your asking a question then answering it?

What should I have for tea?

And yes I will be having chicken jalfrezi and rice.

I think that you misunderstand, I believe him to be saying that longer term he'll be doing a transplant but for now he wants some suggestions for a smaller improvement.

lfallgti

fold the seats down

Henry Yorke

This is a Euro Gentry isn't it, so it is manual? I don't think you can do much to the engine to take on Civics, so I would not really worry about it engine wise if you are planning a GTI6 conversion. However, you would benefit from a quick shift and decent gear rods from Miles etc as these will improve your 0-60 times marginally (and probably reduce chances of missing a gear) and are also transferable to your new GTI6 conversion.

Daft as it sounds, I would make sure your air filter is clean with all that volcanic ash in the air (or is that just an export item?)!!!

If you engine has been rebuilt, you can turbo it pretty easily with parts from a 406 SRI / Citroen XM / Xantia 2.0 Turbo. I did on the same engine with no internal mods and have 165 bhp at 0.5 bar with the cat still on.

Jemehan

Ill be using that one then Henry!! lol. I would have said do a simplw high lift cam, that would give you quite an edge.

Richy_cti

twin 45 carbs will give you a good few hourses extra

Tesstuff

If you have plans like Mi or Gti6 for the future i would just make it lighter for now and gain the acceleration that way.

You could easily lose kg off the car which would be making it faster.

shalmaneser

the compression ratio is quite low on those isn't it? could you take a nice big chunk off the head to get some more compression on her then drop in a gti cam? would be cheap if it's doable, although I guess the valves are smaller than a gti.

maybe putting on a gti head would help, can be picked up very cheap indeed.

failing that just put in a 1.9 gti lump, it's plug and play pretty much and can be bought for £100 (or they can be over here...)

kyepan

is the lower compression ratio due to a different combustion chamber shape / head design, rod length, or different pistons?

this will determine how much you could up the compression ratio through skimming the head.

Personally i would not bother, but if you must make it quicker, running high octane fuel, advancing the timing to match and reducing weight is the cheapest and simplest way to make your car faster. That and pumping up the tyres slightly.

loose 100kgs, and your power to weight ratio increases more than 10% and consequently you have free power increase.

Miles

It's all in the head, this engine is cambelt safe (Snaped belt = no bent valves to give you an idea on how deep the chambers are in the head) and uses flat top pistons and I mean flat top unlike even the 1.6 one's which are dish'd.

You can add the GTi head which is what I have done, Mind you'll need to sort the ECU out as the std one will pink big time,

donkeymatt

Another Gentry owner - feeling exactly the same way! I have decided to go down the route of weight reduction, get the suspension sorted, and then put away the pennies for an Mi-16 conversion!

eldoro

Thanx for the replys guys, and thanx for some ideas.