• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harryskid

Ford Sierra Xr4

harryskid

Hi guys, anyone on line know any thing about the structure of the body work on one of these. My mate brought his over to me to do some welding on the floor pan but after striping it down it looks bad. Both front foot wells have rust right across and back along the sills, including the bottom of the sills inside. Also on one side it extends up the wheel arch on the front. There is also a big hole under the seat belt mounting by one of the rear sills. Looking at the make up of this chassis i the think the floor pan and sills are the main strength as there seems to be no chassis rails, am i right? I'am thinking the extent of this rust makes it unrepairable or its going to be a megga job. The daft thing is when he bought it it had a new mot and one year later its failed. Things don't rust that bad in a year so it was covered up, i would think. What worries me is if he had a shunt in it, i could see the thing folding up and even if i try to weld it, there seems to be nothing solid to weld to. ;)

brumster

I stripped a 5-door C-reg Sierra once as a donor car for a kit; I don't recall it having any 'chassis rails' as such, either.

harryskid
I stripped a 5-door C-reg Sierra once as a donor car for a kit; I don't recall it having any 'chassis rails' as such, either.

This ones a b reg and is or should i say was quite tidy. He may now have to strip it and sell the parts as i think they will be worth more than the complete car. I've patched up a few cars in my time but the only other thing i've seen this bad was an old cortina .

Baz

They don't have chassis rails as such no, box section in the sills provide the main strength.

Sounds like it needs major work...

harryskid
They don't have chassis rails as such no, box section in the sills provide the main strength.

Sounds like it needs major work...

Thanks Baz, i think i'll advise him to go the other way and strip it as hes had a price of £600 from some one else and they did'nt look as close as i did. The cars only worth £1200 but in parts alot more.