• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sergio205

Failed Fitting Driveshaft Back(+)

Sergio205

Hello!

I've changed CV boot on my drive shafts. I easily installed the short drive shaft back but I failed putting back the long one. It gets into diff, splines mate and it slides a bit inside and then it stops. It looks like I need extra 7-10 mm to put it in place but it doesn't go further inside. Is there any trick which I am not aware of on how to install it?????

steve@cornwall
Hello!

I've changed CV boot on my drive shafts. I easily installed the short drive shaft back but I failed putting back the long one. It gets into diff, splines mate and it slides a bit inside and then it stops. It looks like I need extra 7-10 mm to put it in place but it doesn't go further inside. Is there any trick which I am not aware of on how to install it?????

Have you got the hockey stick bolts in the intermediate bearing out of the way?

Sergio205
Have you got the hockey stick bolts in the intermediate bearing out of the way?

Yep. Bearing sits in place and tight in the mount. Hockey stick bolts are in place and tightened well. It looks like something inside the box doesn't let the shaft to get in place.

Baz

There's always a small gap!

Sergio205
There's always a small gap!

I have intermediate mount sitting on the drive shaft now and the gap I have doesn't let me align engine mount holes with the holes on the engine block.

Guest spinners
I have intermediate mount sitting on the drive shaft now and the gap I have doesn't let me align engine mount holes with the holes on the engine block.

When ive done shafts in the past i always check the inner spline (dirt or obstructions), then if its tight turn the shaft and tap it with a rubber mallet.

Sergio205
When ive done shafts in the past i always check the inner spline (dirt or obstructions), then if its tight turn the shaft and tap it with a rubber mallet.

Spinner!

Thanks - cleanning of splines and rubber mallet worked perfect together.

ilovemypug
Spinner!

Thanks - cleanning of splines and rubber mallet worked perfect together.

i hade this same problem last week.. and what i did wrong was that i didn´t push the shaft into the diff enough..

what i did, was hammer the shaft in (with care) until it sat properly in its housing.

now it works fine =) (but it scared the crap out of me... as i did´nt want to spend any more money)

welshpug

you should not need to hammer anything.

most likely cause is corrosion build-up in the intermediate bearing carrier preventing the bearing from seating fully, even tightening the hockey stick bolts to the point of bending and damaging the threads often does not seat them fully.

Tom Fenton

If I'm reading it right, I think the OP has removed the shaft and alloy housing together, e.g. unbolted the mount from the engine.

Sergio205
If I'm reading it right, I think the OP has removed the shaft and alloy housing together, e.g. unbolted the mount from the engine.

It's exactly what I did. I managed to put the driveshaft in place. After it got mated with differential I hit the alloy housing with mallet and succeeded in placing it full way in. I bolted the intermediate bracket back afterwards.

Thanks to all for your help