• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Capn. Pugwash

8v Rally Engine Build

Capn. Pugwash

I recently discovered that my 8v 1.9 didn't really enjoy running in the inverted position and ran both #3 and 4 big end bearings :) Consequently, the time has come for a reuild but I'd like some opinions on what my best route will be. The DKZ head is still fine and will be going back on with a Peter T stage 2 cam. I'm stuck with 8 valves due to rally regulations.

I have on hand:

3x DFZ 8v 1.9L engines (2 high mileage, 1 low mileage)

1x DFW Mi16 alloy block, crank and pistons (minor bearing damage)

aforementioned DKZ.

My thinking is that picking the best of the DFZ bottom ends and mating it to the DKZ head will provide the easiest and cheapest solution. The DFW block is tempting though, with lighter pistons, ribbed liners and oil squirters; I could combine this with the DKZ head. Option three would use a lighter 8v crank in the Mi block.

I've had a look around, and all three look like viable options. Any thoughts??

Another question- what is the wear limit on the liners? Reboring and forged pistons isn't an option cash wise. Is it OK to hone them without clamping them down or will they oval out?

Sign in to follow this