• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peakrevs

Distributor Advice Please

peakrevs

Before I get slated over the Search, I have looked and cannot find what I need.

Following on from my ignition module problem, I've decided to go for a new distributor for the 1.9 standard engine that is being assembled at the moment. I understand that they are not available anymore from GSF and only one, the Bosch 0237 00 90 66 from Peugeot at the astronomic price of £336.

So, what are my alternatives? I believe this firm might supply one: http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/peu.../peugoedist.htm but has anyone experience of them. The other thing I wondered, is there a distributor from another Peugeot model that might be more readily available and do the job?

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thank you in advance.

John

peakrevs
Before I get slated over the Search, I have looked and cannot find what I need.

Following on from my ignition module problem, I've decided to go for a new distributor for the 1.9 standard engine that is being assembled at the moment. I understand that they are not available anymore from GSF and only one, the Bosch 0237 00 90 66 from Peugeot at the astronomic price of £336.

So, what are my alternatives? I believe this firm might supply one: http://www.h-h-ignitionsolutions.co.uk/peu.../peugoedist.htm but has anyone experience of them. The other thing I wondered, is there a distributor from another Peugeot model that might be more readily available and do the job?

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thank you in advance.

John

Can nobody help?

DamirGTI

Why would you want a new one ? :mellow: they're really expensive (as you've found out ..)

Buy a second hand one (but it'll need to be same dizzy with same code/part No.) , if you're afraid of breaking buy two spare ones .. although , they're pretty trouble free part on a 205 .. except the dizzy signal cable , but as a unit they're solid ..

The pick up coil can break , or the springs might stretch a bit now after all this years (easy fix thou ..) or fall off the stop peg (rarely) but i haven't yet experienced any of those problems on Bosch distributors for 205 apart from partly stretched springs which we all have on this , now quite a bit old cars ..

However , been repairing one base model with TU engine , on this one the dizzy shaft snapped in two pieces .. but it's different type and make of dizzy ..

And it's been just a few forum members which had pick up coil breakdown problems with GTi distributors (nowhere as near compared on some other car brands equipped with mechanical dist. ignition system ..)

As for the H&H boys , can say all the best from my experience with them , highly recommended :wacko:

Damir :lol:

peakrevs
Why would you want a new one ? :mellow: they're really expensive (as you've found out ..)

Buy a second hand one (but it'll need to be same dizzy with same code/part No.) , if you're afraid of breaking buy two spare ones .. although , they're pretty trouble free part on a 205 .. except the dizzy signal cable , but as a unit they're solid ..

The pick up coil can break , or the springs might stretch a bit now after all this years (easy fix thou ..) or fall off the stop peg (rarely) but i haven't yet experienced any of those problems on Bosch distributors for 205 apart from partly stretched springs which we all have on this , now quite a bit old cars ..

However , been repairing one base model with TU engine , on this one the dizzy shaft snapped in two pieces .. but it's different type and make of dizzy ..

And it's been just a few forum members which had pick up coil breakdown problems with GTi distributors (nowhere as near compared on some other car brands equipped with mechanical dist. ignition system ..)

As for the H&H boys , can say all the best from my experience with them , highly recommended :wacko:

Damir :lol:

Thanks once again Damir. I suppose I am looking for a new one because of the trouble with the ignition module and the faulty spares that I had. I think it has shaken my confidence in the reliability of the parts which are over 20 years old.

As there are two different part numbers for 1.6 and 1.9 distributors I assume that they are not interchangable.

I have just seen this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-205-1-9-GTI-...=item335bfd0a83

which seems good value on the face of it.

John

DamirGTI
As there are two different part numbers for 1.6 and 1.9 distributors I assume that they are not interchangable.

I have just seen this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-205-1-9-GTI-...=item335bfd0a83

which seems good value on the face of it.

John

Yes , they're different 1.6 vs 1.9 item :mellow: they look the same from the outside but have different rates of springs and bob weights inside which gives different ignition advance curve .. so 1.6 dizzy won't suite 1.9 engine , it'll work but not good ..

This one form the Ebay link looks fine , for 1.9 D6B engine you need dizzy with last three No.'s - 066 , and there was a few more types of the distributors in both 1.6 and 1.9 range (from 205 , 309 and 405 cars..) depending on the engine code , so , shop carefully ..

If , for a peace of mind , you want to buy new one contact H&H boys (but via phone , they wont reply back on emails cos they're too busy ...) and ask them how much they want for fully overhauled Bosch 066 dizzy ..

Damir :wacko:

MerlinGTI

I've had a Bosch dizzy die on me on my 205.

When removed the shaft had loads of play on it and I could see swarf inside it.

I put a seccy hand one on for £20 , but h&h will see you right :mellow:

peakrevs
I've had a Bosch dizzy die on me on my 205.

When removed the shaft had loads of play on it and I could see swarf inside it.

I put a seccy hand one on for £20 , but h&h will see you right :ph34r:

Thank you Damir and MerlinGTI for your advice. H & H it is on Monday. Have a good weekend

John

Sign in to follow this