• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpaul

Think My Car Has A Dodgy Mot?!

pugpaul

I bought a 95 106 Diesel the other day. What made me want the car was it was local, 12 months MOT, advertised on Ebay, (Ebayer only had 4 feedback) Cheap to run and it's a Pug!

Now it came with 12 months MOT. The prev MOT had an advisory for a worn CV boot and some other little bits. The CV boot is well and truly gone and has been for some time looking at the build up and state of the mess it's made. Also the manifold has a bad leak. This car was advertised in Milton Keynes where I live and the chap who sold it to me works in Milton Keynes yet the MOT was carried out nearly 40 miles away.

Chap who owned it said it has a cambelt fitted at 90k aswell as a full service. Well I have owned heaps of Pugs over the years and this cambelt is old and I have never seen an air filter so dirty in all my years aswell as the oil filter which has got rust on it.......this in 2,198 miles......think not......maybe 30,000 miles ago!

Question is....... Where do I stand with the MOT? Shall I call the MOT station and say i'm not happy or will they just say 'It was fine when we tested it'

Any help would be great on this.

Paul.

jackherer

Call the MOT centre and make it clear you will contact VOSA if they don't resolve your issues. Mention that you will request an 'inverted appeal' and they will know you are serious. If they don't help you out get in touch with VOSA, but give them a chance to resolve it first, their livelihood is potentially at stake so you can't act rashly. I've had to report a test station in MK years ago when I lived there, out of interest which garage was it?

BTW, you only have 30 days from the test to make an appeal so don't let them string you along.

muddatrucker

You can probably contact an authority and mention they have passed a possible fail, but if its a mate doing someone a favour a spot check will come back with nothing.

Other than making you get another at cost, don't see what you'll achieve unfortunately.

Edited by muddatrucker

pugpaul
Call the MOT centre and make it clear you will contact VOSA if they don't resolve your issues. Mention that you will request an 'inverted appeal' and they will know you are serious. If they don't help you out get in touch with VOSA, but give them a chance to resolve it first, their livelihood is potentially at stake so you can't act rashly. I've had to report a test station in MK years ago when I lived there, out of interest which garage was it?

BTW, you only have 30 days from the test to make an appeal so don't let them string you along.

Thank you mate :rolleyes:

I live just outside of Stony Stratford and the lad who owned the car lives in Central MK. The car was tested just outside Oxford........some tiny back street garage.

pugpaul

MOT expires on the 25th April 2011

hothatch

I once bought a feista with a 12month mot which was carried out by BRIDGEND FORD !

2 weeks later I was driveing down a hill from college and nealy shat my self when I pushed the brake and nothing happend ! Went straight to the floor !!!being a new driver this was very scary ! What had happend is this.

I drove to college over a few speedbumps and what have you and then parked the car in college car park for around 5 hours before leaving. Of course the new brake pipes that had also been fitted by BRIDGEND FORD had been routed around moving parts of the suspension!!!!! So as you can imagine the speed bumps had split one of the pipes, I parked up for several hours over which the fluid leaked out and then I set off, the worst thing was is that I hadn't need use the brakes until I came to the hill, lucky enough I or anyone else was not hurt. Just a very shakey boy.

This gives you an idea of how SERIOUS dodgy mots are and should be addressed in the appropiote manner just as jackherer explained. But like he said vosa will come down on them lilke a ton of bricks so give them a chance first.

This is also why I hate maindealers. I checked over a mates car today, a 56plate skoda vrs which recently had a service done by skoda and I was appauled. With various screws missing and an oil leak from the filter and also a boost pipe that required some attention and was turned a blind eye to. A bit of topic I know but this is the reason you need to be carful who you trust.

Ben

jeremy

I would contact the seller and advise he needs to come a collect the car with 100% refund in cash. Clearly explaing the situation to him. He/she may rather just give you the money back as opposed to what could turn out to be an expensive lesson for them.

zebedy101

It could be very costly mistake for the garage... I.E prison sentence for the tester and a silly big fine. I personally would ask for your money back and send a letter to the garage threatening VOSA action, but don't actually send the letter a threat will be enough to worry them.

Paul_13

We know a bloke who does dodgy MOT's, a mate of a mate had a Fiesta (which was a death trap) MOT'd and the bloke didn't even need to see the car.

He sold the car a few days later, the Fiesta nearly killed the bloke and went back to garage that MOT'd it and said WHY THE F*CK DID YOU PASS THIS?

Reported him and the MOT station had his license revoked for 3-6months.

I think it's more the previous owners fault than garage.

Normally it's the MOT man who's doing a mate a favour and doesn't realise they will sell the car straight away after.

Edited by Paul_13