• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
powermandan

2 Or 3 Problems?

powermandan

Ok, got a 1.6 gti which is a new car to me.

Anyway since i put it on the road a week ago.

-The stop light has been flickering dimly (from stone cold), the red quadrent of the coolent temperture gauge is also lit.

- The coolant gauge does not appear to work.

- it appears i have been driving around with my thermostat stuck shut.... as the stop light came fully on tonight and i felt the radiator and the top was warm but the bottom hose was stone cold.

Anyway my plan is to remove the thermostat which will hopefully aleviate the fully on stop light and stop me destroying my engine.

- Where is the temperture stop light switch located as i guess its a different sensor to the temp gauge

- i thought the temp sensor was mounted to the thermostat housing im begining to think its mounted in the lower half of the radiator?

anyone care to spare some insight?

thanks

Dan

Anthony
Where is the temperture stop light switch located as i guess its a different sensor to the temp gauge

i thought the temp sensor was mounted to the thermostat housing im begining to think its mounted in the lower half of the radiator?

Both the temperature gauge and warning light senders are on the thermostat housing - they both have a single spade terminal, with the gauge being the shorter bodied, and the switch the taller bodied of the two.

The sensor on the radiator is the thermoswitch for the radiator cooling fan.

powermandan

well im pretty much stumped...

Am i right in thinking that the picture attached is the thermostat housing.

You may also notice that i sheared one of the bolts trying to get to the thermostat :lol:

Anyway, i cant see any sensors bolted to the thermostat housing?

from squeezing various pipes around the engine i think there may be a blockage somewhere else in the engine, any ideas to where might be the common places.

also did a compression test 165psi accross all cyclinder.

post-13977-1273836206_thumb.jpg

Anthony

That's the thermostat housing takeoff.

The thermostat housing is the part behind that which the takeoff is bolted to, and that now has the remains of the snapped bolt in.

The sensors are on the back of the thermostat housing, facing towards the bulkhead next to the exhaust manifold.

powermandan

thanks anthony, so just to clarify, the thermostat is under the cover i have attempted to remove?

Anthony

Yes, the thermostat itself is underneath that cover :lol:

powermandan

ok, well ive got a bit of cold sweat on the go at the moment....

Tommorow im going to have to tackle at least one sheared bolt.

I have NEVER had any sucess removing a sheared bolt, it has always ended in disaster.

Im am going to try and weld a bolt to the top, but im not going to hold my breath.

do you think i should just go for it and drill it and tap it larger and open up the holes in the take off slightly to accomodate the bigger bolt?

davey sprocket
ok, well ive got a bit of cold sweat on the go at the moment....

Tommorow im going to have to tackle at least one sheared bolt.

I have NEVER had any sucess removing a sheared bolt, it has always ended in disaster.

Im am going to try and weld a bolt to the top, but im not going to hold my breath.

do you think i should just go for it and drill it and tap it larger and open up the holes in the take off slightly to accomodate the bigger bolt?

Have you tried easyouts (sp?) before??

You drill a hole in the middle of the broken bolt and wind the easyout tool (come in a range of sizes) anticlockwise into the hole and hopefully it grips and winds the broken bit out so you can re-use the original hole and thread.

Anthony

.... or as more usually happens, the easy out snaps and then you're got a right mission to drill it out!

Might be easier just getting hold of another thermostat housing if you can't get the snapped bolt out - there's bound to be plenty clogging up peoples garages I'd imagine!

davey sprocket
.... or as more usually happens, the easy out snaps and then you're got a right mission to drill it out!

Maybe I've just been lucky then! :D Always got on OK with mine.

Like Anthony says, you might actually be as well off replacing the whole lot.

Just pray to god you don't snap any bolts holding the thermostat housing to the block or you'll be back to square one!

powermandan
Maybe I've just been lucky then! :D Always got on OK with mine.

Like Anthony says, you might actually be as well off replacing the whole lot.

Just pray to god you don't snap any bolts holding the thermostat housing to the block or you'll be back to square one!

lol, ive snapped several easyouts.

think im just going to drill it out and retap it slighly bigger, if it doesnt work ive only wasted an hour. tolerences dont look that tight.

powermandan

as expected, the job turned into a nightmare... ended up drilling right through and using m6 nut and bolt. fingers crossed it holds ok.

As for the coolant gauge not working, think im going to solder the brown multiplug....

anyone got a part no for the coolant switch and coolant temp probe?

Sign in to follow this