• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timb1046

3 Point Harness Fitting

timb1046

i have done a search and read many many 'project' threads to try and find the answer

how do you fit 3 point harnesses? what is there to attatch the side bits to? i'm sorted with knowing where the rear section will go to, but i cant figure out the side bits atall. could i just pop attatch them to the floor when i bolt the seat down? is this acceptable?

hengti

use the tapping for the belt rail in the sill for the outer and either the tapping in the std seat frame for the inner (not ideal), or weld a plate into the exhaust tunnel

if you use plates either side, you can obv put more thought into it

timb1046

hadnt thought of that belt rail bolt hole! its obvious now! i dont get what you mean for the inner one though. i'm not using seat frames.

timb1046

ok, i'll have to install a plate then.

theres no way of securing them under the bolts that attatch the seat to the floor?

Regards

thanks for all the help

Tim

Edited by timb1046

hengti

others'd be best placed to comment, but can't see that being ideal as you'd have a very short belt run that side and it'd be tight against the seat (although was 'ok' on mine with the std subframe). have you got mounting instructions with the harness? all of the preferred angles/etc are usually explained in there

Edited by hengti

timb1046

no, no mounting instructions.

Silky

You will need 3 eye bolts and 1 eye bolt mounting plate per seat

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/advanced_sear...sbtir8rs5ba77d0

Put 1 eye bolt in the rear seat belt point, 1 eye in the inner seal belt rail hole, and then you will need to weld a mounting plate to the side of the exhaust tunnel opposite the belt rail hole and put an eye bolt in there though remember to drill a hole in the tunnel beforehand so the eye bolt can go all the way into the mounting plate.

Alex (boombang) done mine at the weekend for me, can grab a pic tonight if you need

I think I have a couple of eyes and mounting plates left if you need

timb1046

a pic would be fantastic please Silkey, my mate has already offererd me some plates so im sorted on that, do GSF/Halfords sell plates/ eylets, just in case i need to get a few more? or is it only online retailers that do them?

Silky

Not sure mate, I knew that Rallye Design did so I ordered straight from there rather than ring about.

Will get a picture tonight

hengti

Merlin up at Castle Coombe keep them; may be others closer town (Hoopers/Hanham have gone now, but Motaman keep buckets - might be worth trying them, although seems unlikely)

timb1046

i'll just get some off t'internet. much easier

Silky

Tim,

Here's some pics, they are still in etchweld primer so not the prettiest of pics but you get the idea

The rear fitting eye bolt

P1000827.jpg

The seat belt loop eye bolt

P1000828.jpg

The welded in mount to the exhaust tunnel (this is the passenger side)

P1000829.jpg

Hope they help

welshpug

on the exhaust tunnel, they should be on the underneath, and they don't need to be welded.

zebedy101

I bought one of the mounting plates, drilled a hole in the floor and bolted it up with the plate underneath. Simples

Jrod
on the exhaust tunnel, they should be on the underneath, and they don't need to be welded.

I bought one of the mounting plates, drilled a hole in the floor and bolted it up with the plate underneath. Simples

What they said.

pugpete1108

yep mine are on the ouside of the car and not welded in. just drill a hole through and bolt the eylet to the plate schimples

Anton green

Also what I did. Plus I used some 'decorators caulk' between the plate and the underside to stop any possible rubbing between the rust-protected surfaces and a split pin through the handy hole to stop any rotation as I screwed in the eye bolt from the topside.

Edited by Anton green

hengti

i'd be seam welding it on from underneath personally. preference, clearly

boombang
i'd be seam welding it on from underneath personally. preference, clearly

I would have ideally done this too, means cannot be pulled through & spreads load best.

In the case of Silky's car, it was a decision made purely on a time basis so we can get car driveable as quick as possible, without removing exhaust or loads of underseal from the underside of the car. At the end of the day it's certainly not going anywhere how it is now.

Seems foolish NOT to weld in IMHO, bolting only onto outside is asking for trouble. From experience, bolts do come loose, especially eye bolts when you pulling on harnesses.

timb1046

i have some of them on order along with the eylet things. so all should be ok. B)

boombang
Not if you have the proper plates, they can't come loose as most have little tabs that dig into the underseal etc when tightened.

Sorry but to rely on a little tab to dig into underseal when you can just weld them on, seems nuts to me.

Baz

Some don't have the tab either.

Meh, if they're done up, they're done up, like i said, never had a problem and they don't loosen.

And tbh, although yes it's ultimately better, it's not like it's 'just' welding them on is it, for starters you need to prep etc, and then be capable of welding and have all the gear, then re-treat & paint the area after you've done it, and then there's a point of leaving the car so you can return it to standard if wanted.

Makes a small job suddenly a lot larger.