• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
one-lady-owner

K-seal....

harryskid
sod all chance if its lost compression.

I really do hate fixing cars when people have used this stuff, JUST FIX IT PROPERLY!!!!!

Like it, just what i think! :)

Batfink
But for how long? I admire your faith though. :huh:

I would bypass the heater matrix completely but I would have to remove the whole inlet manifold to get to the pipes. Stupidly small enginebay!

Its been going a few weeks so all good so far. The reality is the van is so cheap you dont want to spend any money on it.

lagonda

I see this K-seal stuff allegedly doesn't block water passages.

I used to run a Lancia Y10...there was a pin prick leak in the main metal pipe to the block....I found it stopped leaking if I ran without antifreeze, so I filled it with just water. A couple of years later, on holiday in France....spot water under the car. Core plug has rusted through. Put water in...it rushes out almost as quick as I put it in. Although I had tools, no way a proper repair viable there. Went to £ Shop (you know what I mean) next to the camp site...& they had tins of jollop for car radiator leaks. I really thought there was no way this was going to seal a leak that big....but, you know what, it did!

BUT! Ever after, the car ran hotter, not a problem, but as the rad fan didn't work, it meant worrying times in traffic jams. So that stuff certainly stopped the leak, but it certainly did also block coolant passages.

Also (strangely on another holiday) our 1964 Rover 2000 started misbehaving....turned out that despite antifreeze, the head had corroded through to one of the combustion chambers. Jollop used on that, & despite the compression pressure, it sealed that as well. Now that was a crap car. Despite the press eulogies about it when new, it was slow, heavy on petrol, handled like a barge, & was totally a pain in the *rse to work on. Oh, & it rusted quickly too.

Junosix
any chance you boiled it dry and carryed on till it stopped ?

Can't think it's anything else, really. Had trouble starting it up a few times (would turn but took ages to fire), but I didn't break down. When I went to use it next after parking it at home I got nothing. Out of curiosity, made sure the coolant was topped up then tried the "check for bubbles in header tank" trick and it gushed back out!

Not really all that sad, I've found it generally a pretty horrid car and it was quite knackered when I got it a couple of years ago and has always sounded like a tractor. Temperature gauge has always been quite undependable (I think the temperature sender in early 206's are prone to be s*ite?). Just thought if K-Seal could have even just got me to a scrapyard I'd be happy B)

brian j
But for how long? I admire your faith though. :unsure:

I bought a 170K mile 205 D Junior for £130 a couple of years back in an emergency. When fitting a new gearbox I noticed that the HG was weeping all across the rear of the engine. There was no way I was going to do an H/G change so I used K-seal to stop the leak. The car was sold to someone who hasn't cared for it at all, so no way they have done any serious work on the engine and I see it on the road all the time still... It can't be too bad a fix. I still wouldn't do it to the GTI though.

1 FAT PUG

someone told me that it was design`d for the rover k series engine, hence the name k seal :rolleyes:

Henry Yorke
someone told me that it was design`d for the rover k series engine, hence the name k seal :rolleyes:

Lol! That inlet manifold gasket that warps.

Wasn't the old organic method to drop an egg in the rad for the same effect?

I wouldn't like to use it on anything decent. It is a bit like those people who have a broken window on their car and tape it all up to the bodywork with tank tape and polythene. You know full well it will make a horrible mess of the paint when they fix the window