• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maturin23

Mi16 Coil

maturin23

As above really - my 1.9 Mi16 decided to die as I drove into my work carpark.

AA man (I pay for the service, thought I'd use it for once) did a test - no spark to plugs, no spark to dissy cap, no kick from the rev counter needle when turning over.

He wasn't sure whether the ignition amp was sending a signal, got a reading but felt it was a little low, so decided it was an ignition amp problem. I've just switched out the amp for a known working one (thanks DrSarty) but the bleedin' thing won't fire.

I renewed the coil 4 years ago and it's only done about 15k miles, but I'm thinking it's the next obvious thing to check.

So... Does anyone have a spare working Mi16 coil I can borrow/buy? If it's to 'borrow' I'll pick up any postal charges and chuck in some beer money too.

cheers

Ian

timb1046

they're the same as the normal 1.9GTI coil are they not?

welshpug

not quite, but a PH2 8 valve coil will plug in fine to test, they have a different bracket IIRC.

Anthony

As above, you can use a Phase 2 205/309 GTi coil if you've got one laying around for testing purposes, just there's no bracket to attach it.

Otherwise, I've got a spare 1.9 Mi16 coil that you're welcome to borrow if you don't get offer one local to you :wacko:

maturin23

Thanks chaps. I don't have a phase 2 1.0 coil unfortunately...

Anthony - your's is the best offer so far... :wacko:

timb1046

so they are the same coil as Ph2 BUT they have different brackets, is that it?

GLPoomobile
So... Does anyone have a spare working Mi16 coil I can borrow/buy? If it's to 'borrow' I'll pick up any postal charges and chuck in some beer money too.

Duh, helloooooo! :wacko:

maturin23

<belm> I should have called you, Steve - not thinking straight.. Are you still driving through this neck of the woods?! :wacko:

This is the little puppy I'm after...

Mi16%20Coil.JPG

DrSarty

£15 from eGay Ian. Or even a motor factors should have them, as it's the same as a Vauxhall item. Take your old one to double check it.

maturin23

You're right, I suppose, Rich. I should just buy a new one. Just didn't want to make an offering at the Goddess of Start-Chasing-the-Problem, though.

I'm pretty sure it must be the coil, unless it's the wiring, or the dodgy substitute ignition amp :lol:

Ian

24seven

If it's not the coil it could be the crank angle sensor. They tend to be an all-or-nothing type failure when they go. I had trouble with the wiring to the CAS on a previous engine loom which would mean the engine randomly cutting out momentarily with a loss of feed to the tachometer.

GLPoomobile
Are you still driving through this neck of the woods?! :angry:

Driving? Fancy yourself as a bit of a funny f***er, do you? :lol:

( :ph34r: )

I think I've got a spare 8v coil in the flat, but I need to pull the inlet off the Mi so I might as well grab the coil off of that at the same time. Want me to pop up at the weekend? I could take a look at the fan loom while I'm there and get an idea of what's needed to make a new one.

DrSarty
or the dodgy substitute ignition amp :P

I did make a disclaimer whilst we were drunk, standing in your kitchen. Don't you remember? :D

If you're still having probs around 16th May I can have a look when I'm back, even bringing a spare CAS. I appreciate though that it's a busy weekend for you.

maturin23

Thanks for the offer, Steve - greatly appreciated. I've actually ordered one from the factors up the road for £30 quid or near enough. I'll fit it tomorrow and see what happens.

I'll whip off the fan loom at the same time, maybe post it to you? Wouldn't want you to waste your weekend schlepping up here for it. Plus I'm pretty much heads-down working on the flat this weekend as this is the last chance before the wedding.

Rich - I vaguely remember, but only now you mention it :blink:

James_m

If the coil doesn't work I have a crank sensor you can try, and if that doesn't work! I can bring my 205 round and start swopping bits over to see what the problem is. Only down the road in highgate