• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wracing

Wishbones

wracing

Guys im getting rather fed up of the fact that the only replacement wishbones available to us are either unsafe, due to incorrect rodend loading or pattern part copy rubbish!

Im thinking that the only solution may be to make an non-adjustable wishbone that will take nylon bushes on the inboard and the 306 lower ball joint, allowing replacement of all bushings and bearings.

31360_389840876838_700946838_3762195_1768735_n.jpg

Very simple direct replacement maybe available in 205 std and 309 std and alittle bit more sizes!! :)

I forgot to add, TIG welded tubular CDS.

At around 80 pounds a pair

Tell me what you think!!

Thanks

James

Edited by wracing

welshpug

sounds VERY cheap, Phillip (rippthrough) has done a set using that outer joint to work on the 306's with rose jointed inners, as far as I know all he needs for a 205 setup is his workshop to be back up and running and a 205 subframe and ARB to make a jig from.

price was about £500 odd.

I'd be more interested in wishbones capable of using the original bushes, given their longevity and low cost.

All Praise The GTI

id definately buy a set at that price mate :)

pugpete1108

i would deffo be interested in a set of these mate, after changing both my balljonts on my vts i wondered how difficult it would be to fab something up for the 205?

as long as they could take either poly or std bushes that is.

Pete

wracing

Having just looked at a 205 wishbone :) i think you have a very good point, using the standard inners would work well, allowing both standard and after market parts to be used!

Bloody hell 500 pounds!

Obviously the manufacture of the jig is the expensive part, i've been chatting to a friend, a three tube design similar to what you would find on a Westfield but with a tube between inboard mounts and a dog leg in one of the tubes to avoid the arb.

Ive been also thinking of a laser cut steel design similar to....

CMB0323.jpg

but with std inners and 306 outer.

Thanks

James

BusEngineer

Id be interested at this price fella, in 309 width though :)

pugpete1108

can the std wishbone not be modded to accept the 306 balljoint? can a std wishbone be welded good enough?

alphacharlie

Defo interested as "bones and shafts" are on list for replacement this summer

Cheers

AC

whizzer71

Ill be up for that that due to get through two sets in two years that "representation" looks awesome !

:)

welshpug

you obviously dont value your time and skills particularly highly if you think £80 is a fair price James!

£500 is about 30-35% of the price I have seen from some french rally part suppliers/manufacturers....

All Praise The GTI

maybe james is just very kind and loves us fellow 205 drivers so he wants to help us out by sharing his impressive skills and knowledge ;)

do i get a further discount now? :):D

B)

wracing

I always work on, 40 hour would do me :)

I really hate and is the reason why I try and make everything, that you put the word motorsport anywhere and that instantly means 10000% profit margins :D;)

I'm having a little dabble on Solidworks it looks like the laser cut will be the cheapest to manufacture with a single bend on a brake press. We used to work to .1mm so I will have to read up on acceptable manufacturing tolerances on automotive parts. Then 4 welds.

Very quick and labour free as most of the process can be automated (laser cutting). Jigging would be a simple bolt through affair.

Pete Im not sure what they are made of but its doesn't look to weldable....

haha rubbish B)

Edited by wracing

Peetypug

i'd be very interested in a pair as well!

does it get cheaper the more people that want them?

if so i will wait till there are 100 people and we can have them for £2.50 per set

:)

Liquid_106

Preemptive :)

1. Liquid_106 - 309 bones

wracing

haha, no chance there isn't really much to get cheaper, apart from laser cutting by a few pounds, fabrication stays the same unfortunately!!

If I can make this work it would be nice if I could find someone who competes or constantly drive like they stole it (over curbs through trees and at police cars....) to test them again before they get released to the general population. :)

Thanks

James

Peetypug

99-

100- sorrentopete, 205 wbones

:):D

pugpete1108
Pete Im not sure what they are made of but its doesn't look to weldable....

ok dude, its only i have seen these types before and they look std and welded?

205_wishbone.jpg

Peetypug

i can test them for you :) will be using the pug for my main motor for at least 6 months

Edited by sorrentopete

pugpete1108
haha, no chance there isn't really much to get cheaper, apart from laser cutting by a few pounds, fabrication stays the same unfortunately!!

If I can make this work it would be nice if I could find someone who competes or constantly drive like they stole it (over curbs through trees and at police cars....) to test them again before they get released to the general population. ;)

Thanks

James

i am that person :) i dont compete but the roads round my way are sh*te and if i let the wife drive it. well that would be a good test :D

wracing

I stand corrected, I know people run that design with no issues, but the design is all wrong, I wouldn't be happy running them especially with such a small rod end.

It probably works well, but not a high enough safety factor for my liking :)

James

pugpete1108
I stand corrected, I know people run that design with no issues, but the design is all wrong, I wouldn't be happy running them especially with such a small rod end.

It probably works well, but not a high enough safety factor for my liking :)

James

cool cool they do look a bit wussy.plus you know much more about this sort of thing than me.

still if you can make the ones like you have pictured for that price i'm sure you will make a killing also the std 306 joints are real cheap to replace as are the bushes.

they will last the life of the car too, apart from accident damage of course.

pete

All Praise The GTI

im local so you could do regular saftey checks ;)

and im sure you saw how bad my local roads are :)

and will be planning on using the 205 over the summer and it will be driven hard :D

B)

Edited by All Praise The GTI

wracing

Hand well and truly bitten off!! :D

Im thinking (i have yet to run any fea) around 15mm mild steel with the necessary weight reductions, the reason I like the look of a mild steel rather than a stronger alloy, is that they will bend and bend and bend, rather then bend then bang, it extreme circumstances like British roads!! :) I have yet to run the math so I may be talking out of my arse!!

Rippthrough if you read have you got any advice, you seem to be a wealth of knowledge when in comes to suspension??

thanks

James

Paul_13

Deffinately interested!

My 309 bones are fudged

Rippthrough
Hand well and truly bitten off!! :D

Im thinking (i have yet to run any fea) around 15mm mild steel with the necessary weight reductions, the reason I like the look of a mild steel rather than a stronger alloy, is that they will bend and bend and bend, rather then bend then bang, it extreme circumstances like British roads!! :) I have yet to run the math so I may be talking out of my arse!!

Rippthrough if you read have you got any advice, you seem to be a wealth of knowledge when in comes to suspension??

thanks

James

You'll find most of the stronger chro-moly/maganese alloys won't even have started bending by the time the mild steel has bust, but mild steel will suffice if there's enough of it.

Mine are all certified T45 tube with proper pressed ends to accept the balljoint, similar to a normal 306 wishbone, full 3-link design and rose jointed with seals, hence the price, certainly couldn't make them as cheap as you, it costs me that for the tube B)

But then, I designed mine to cope with rallying or whacking a banking side on - they've got a shear pin that'll bend/break before the tube or subframe buckles to take the energy out.

More than happy to help though if you post ideas up.

Edited by Rippthrough