• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danny56712

Welder Advice Mig? Tig? Amps? Brand?

danny56712

Not sure i am in right section here but did my best..

Right lads im looking for an affordable weldor which will be good at welding stuff like car bodywork, floor etc for mounting seats, welding roll cage piping, seam welding, welding exhausts.

Now from what iv seen i need a mig weldor but my knowledge after this is poor, iv tried look at them but am unsure on makes and ampage needs so i would appreciate any bits of advice any of you lot can offer me. i Think the large gas bottlwe is not an option as the renty is too much for the use i need so maybe im thinking one with small bottle of gas?? please advise on makes and ampage and where to buy online also

M@tt

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

all depends on your budget.

For home/diy stuff Clarke welders are pretty good. I have Clarke 160TM and its fine for car stuff and stuff up to about 8mm thick

BOC were doing a massive bottle (size Y) of argoshield light for £60 for a year which was a very good deal as one of the little bottles is close to £10 but lasts no time at all.

djc

When I bought my mig a number of years ago Cebora were well rated. Snap-On welders were all rebadged Cebora at the time. If you can find a friendly publican there's your gas supply!

wracing

if your doing any proper welding dont use pure co2 or pure argon you need co2/argon mix!

Paul_13

I've got a SIP welder, does the job when you get it running, a few niggly bits with the design though. Same model int range that halfords stock.

I really wouldn't bother with piddly bottles of gas from Halfords they run out in no time, if you've got alot of welding to do get a BOC account and rent a bottle off them. Will last aaaaaggggggggeeeeeeees

welshpug

echoing previous comments, Argoshield is a must for a mig, its a BOC brand, other suppliers probably have their own name for it but it is jsut an Argon+CO2 mix.

check out the welding forum linked to above, theyre a really helpful bunch, theres quite a few pro welders as well as highly talented amateurs on there.

danny56712

clarke 160tm seems to be the one appealing to me can anyone tell me faults if any of this machine as it seems to be reviewed very well and quite good price brand new

M@tt

thats the one i have, only mini niggle is that the torch lead could do with being a bit longer but apart from that its pretty spot on! just hang on for a Machine Mart VAT free day ;)

danny56712
thats the one i have, only mini niggle is that the torch lead could do with being a bit longer but apart from that its pretty spot on! just hang on for a Machine Mart VAT free day :wacko:

just wondering would the 135te be too small??

danny56712

like i would wan to weld roll cages and stuff like sump guards etc

wracing

I don't want to sound like an arse, but if you want to weld a rollcage in you need to be looking a little bigger. i've just bought (500 pounds secondhand) kemppi 350 3 phase welder with matching wire feed unit. While welding my cage in I didnt rely on the higher current setting no more that 150 amps, what I used was the stable wire feed, current control, duty cycle and arc stability. I was halfway through welding my cage when my 245 murex shat it self.

Don't sump guards tend to be think alloy.

I'm not saying you cant do these things with a hobby welder, just knowing what I know now I would have saved and gone for a proper welder straight away (first welder wolf weld 150).

Thanks

James

timb1046

i agree with James, when welding in my cage we used a large welder, im not sure what ams etc. as it was so long ago. But for our welder we have a dedicated feed in the workshop as it draws too much for plugs to cope with. its worth saving a little extra and getting a slightly bigger one. even if it is one that you can plug into a domestic plug socket. just get the biggest that your budget will allow for.

roote

my clarke 100e lasted 5 years befor it was nicked, never missed a beat, and welded some 10mm brackets on an axle with a perfect result, the only problems were the liners dont last to long.

danny56712

ok guys like saying go bigger but what would i need this big stuff would be rarely done as i also have a really old arc welder which does work like would there be a big difference between this 130 and a 160amp

timb1046

i used to arc, and getting a mig was so much better, even at the same amps you can weld thicker, im not sure why, and the welding is much much more controlled.

Pug_Power_Dave

Has anyone tried welding Aluminium with a Mig? didnt know you could until recently! Just wondered on the realities of it!

Cheers

Dave

timb1046

no, as far as i was aware you have to Tig AU as Mig isn't hot enough. do you have to change the type of wire?

wracing

you can tig ALU with wire ad argon, but its only ment for the thick stuff i think.

James

lewthepimp

a cheapo gasless mig from aldi :blink: does the trick if your not too bothered about the looks/quality of the weld

Pug_Power_Dave

Found this on the tinternet!

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/aluminium-welding.htm

Doesnt look too bad, especially with the heat sink on! prob be ok for if your making ally sump guards etc, think tig'n would be best for pretty things like catch tanks and swirl pots etc!

Dave

lfallgti
Has anyone tried welding Aluminium with a Mig? didnt know you could until recently! Just wondered on the realities of it!

Cheers

Dave

yes, you can do it, you need argon and ally wire tho and an ac/dc welder. Being an ally/stainless tig welder, i'd say ally mig is f'n hard tho.

danny56712

correct me if im wrong but is it so that tig is best for car body work, exhausts etc etc and i be better off with arc for roll cage so maybe mig is wrong one to buy

wracing

IMO MIG is the best type of point and shoot welding, so if your looking to weld then Best to buy a mig welder. you have a friend with a mig, tig or mma ask them to give you a few tips! :)

Fia/msa rule out mma (ARC) welding for rollcages I think. you will find that it is not possble due to the space constraints to arc weld a cage.

Thanks

James