• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Anyone In Poole?

MrG

red 1.9

This takes my eye, a bit more than I'd want to pay mind but it looks very straight and true, even down to the 185 tyres. i'd like to know more so will give them a call early in the week to see what the gen is.

Pugleyrich

That does look nice, and just up the road from where I am at the moment. Wish I had the time to go and have a look at it

treesimon
red 1.9

This takes my eye, a bit more than I'd want to pay mind but it looks very straight and true, even down to the 185 tyres. i'd like to know more so will give them a call early in the week to see what the gen is.

I had a quick look at this last wednesday night when my girlfriend spotted this, negative bits i noticed where;

Colour fade on panels- common on cherry red cars nothing to worry about, a good polish can sort this out.

Drivers front wheel tyre had worn on the outer edge. Indicating that the tracking could be out.

Rear drivers side inner arch had been rubbing on something at some point.

Slight corrosion starting on the front inner arches.

Im sure that they would have covered up the rear arch and front tyre by now.

Id also like to go up there pointing out i previously noticed these issues and see what they say and also see the car start from cold making sure it is a true cold start.

It does catch your eye from the road if they'd drop the price i think it could be a good buy.

davey sprocket
Colour fade on panels- common on cherry red cars nothing to worry about, a good polish can sort this out.

The cherry red is laquered (when you T-cut it it doesn't come off red), so unless you polish right through the laquer... it stays faded.... hence my cherry orange one!! Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :blush:

I spotted the ad yesterday.... must admit I haven't been up to look at it despite it being only a mile away... I daren't park mine next to it!

Does look nice.

djc

I noticed this on monday night, spoke to someone tuesday morning who was very vague about it, put me off slightly. Interest again got the better of me on friday & I spoke to the chap who owns it - he's the valeter at the car lot its for sale at. The pictures look very good with quite a deep shine so I would imagine its had some heavy duty polishing on a regular basis, with that in mind maybe the colour fade is past restoring now. We all know Cherry Red drops quite quickly. If I remember correctly he is the 8th or 9th owner, the car has stamped history up to 80k then receipts for oils/filters etc up to the 135k where it is now. He also mentioned he previously lived in London & had used it there. The car will be supplied with 12 months test but it sounded as if it had failed its original test. When questioned about the beam & whether it had been rebuilt recently he claimed it was having new seals yesterday (1/5) when I questioned about the bearings he went a bit vague turning my attention to the fact it had had a new water pump (it may have had wishbones too) I cant remember!

Bearing in mind its more like a private sale from a car pitch as its an employees car I would try £1600 ish with no warrentee, looking at their website it only covers engine & box anyway & is probably less than useless.

treesimon
The cherry red is laquered (when you T-cut it it doesn't come off red), so unless you polish right through the laquer... it stays faded.... hence my cherry orange one!! Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :blush:

I spotted the ad yesterday.... must admit I haven't been up to look at it despite it being only a mile away... I daren't park mine next to it!

Does look nice.

Take a look at it Dave, its very close to yours, its nice but i was slightly concerned about the things i mentioned.

My mistake about the colour fade. Seem strange now you said that as the panels have variation in shades of red.

djc

Colour fade could be down to either a bad colour match /poor quality paintwork after body repairs.

richsmells

They had a Graphite 1.9 in there a few months ago at a similar price. I think someone had PX'd it.

Edited by richsmells

alfer

im glad i wasnt the only one taking a look at it :huh:

hexhamstu

The rubbing on the rear arch will have been due to a fubar'd beam.

MrG

I quite fancy this, a latish red 1.9 is on my ever growing list. Interesting stuff though guys. But unless I was 100% committed to travelling down and buying/driving back I think I'd best wait a while.

However it looks very well kept, although it does appear to have been given a detailing for sale (if he's a valater then I'd expect that) it is 20 years old now and parts will show the age.

davey sprocket

Well, having been up for a gander this evening I'd say its been resprayed at some point.

Its very red, I know not all of them go as orange as mine but this is just a bit too red to be original. THe other clue I didn't work out until I looked at a couple of photos I'd taken once I got home....

This is the driver's door...

th_SDC10425-1.jpg

I thought the paint had some sags or runs or something (as well as the touched-up chips) but of course there's something missing isn't there..... the door locks!!

So what I could see is the filler showing through.

It does however look like a nice example all the same, but that rubbing in the rear arch is right through to the metal, wouldn't be happy about that, surprised he hasn't covered it up tbh.

Someone's sat on the bonnet at some stage... not sure if you can make it out in this pic. Its a bit crinkly in the middle behind the grille.

th_SDC10421.jpg

And the alloys look nice from a distance but one of them at least doesn't live up to closer inspection:

th_SDC10424-1.jpg

Crap photo because of the low light but it and mine were an interesting comparison only being a few months apart in age but that one being phase 2 all the interior and exterior trim is black.

th_SDC10426.jpg

Looks like a very usable car but no show-winner. Price probably not too far off I'd say if its OK mechanically.

Edited by davey sprocket

TaffyTim

Ive heard a couple of stories about the dealers on old wareham rd so i'd stay away. Maybe just hearsay but thats my 2 pence worth.