• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam-barker

Just Bought An Xs Need Gearbox/clutch Advice

sam-barker

Hi, just bought an 88 1.4 XS but it has a 4 speed gearbox. The clutch has gone and i was wondering whether or not the 4 speed box would be worth leaving on?

The car is going to be an autotester so long first and second gears would be an advantage, however i would like it to do 70mph plus on the motorway as it will be a road car as well

sam-barker

Anyone any opinions/knowledge Just ordered a Valeo clutch, seems to be same clutch for 1.0/1.1/1/4 engines

Nickmatthewsrallying

The XS that we have got is a 5 speed box, the best thing to do is considering you have got the 4 speed box just try that, and if you find a cheap 5 speed box give that a go if you are not happy with the 4 :)

johnnyboy666

i assume it's a tu3s engine not xy8? only ask as i've never seen a 4 speed box on an xs, unless somebody swapped it over. If it is a tu3s you shouldnt have any issues swapping to a 5speed box (other than trying to find one!) but other tu boxes can be fitted with a bit of fettling i believe

M_R_205

as above, the tu3 XS never came with a 4 speed box, so mush have been changed at some point... the 106 boxes are a direct fit i believe but you will have to change the spedo drive to a mechanical drive... im sure everything else is the same or transferable from your current box.

Paul

sam-barker

Yeah the lad has put the 4 speed box on as it was the only one he could get a short notice. I think it will work in my favour as i need longer 1st and second gears.

The problem is that the speedo is not working. Im assuming that is to do with the gearbox change. what can i do to get it working? cheers

sam-barker

Anyone know how i could get my speedo working? rev gauge working ok

swordfish210

The speedo is mechanical, so it will either be the cable or the driver.