• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Iain-gti

Engine Steam Cleaning

Iain-gti

Does anyone know the best company or place to take your car to get the engine steam cleaned?? idealy near london unless they are mobile.

Thanks Iain

Paul_13

Water/steam + french electrics = not a good idea

Get the gunk and brush out

lagonda

I had my V12 steam cleaned by a firm near Wimbledon in 1983, just before I took it off the road. Sorry can't be more precise or give you their details as I'm in France & everything else is in storage in the UK. Seem to recall going along Durnsford Rd to get there.

I had the whole car done, ie engine gearbox rear axle & chassis. They were very thorough & even got me under the car to check if there was any more I wanted done, or they'd missed. Despite having thoroughly done the centre of the "V", where the plugs & leads sit (& against the guy's advice for that reason), she started up fine. Very pleased with the result, money well spent. Only downside was, as I laid the car up immediately afterwards to do the engine rebuild (that is only happening now!), water that got into the starter didn't dry out, so over the years, the insides got pretty rusty. Hugely annoying as the starter had been like new internally, & they're rare as hen's teeth, being a Bosch axial starter of a type made only for these cars. Grrr!

welshpug

most larger garages will have a steam cleaner, find a bus or haulage depot and they'll definitely have one.

timb1046

i suppose that as long as you leave it long enough to dry off then steam cleaning near electrics will not be a problem. but endure that its dry before turning the key at all.

Iain-gti

cheers for all the replies i might be dropping the engine anyway so i might buy degreaser and jet wash empty engine bay and clean engine by hand :) fun fun!

timb1046

thats a much better idea, and as you'll be able to clean more of both engine and engine bay will create a better end result! and it'll be much cheaper.

Tom Fenton

I've jet washed plenty of 205 engine bays, get the engine up to hot temp and leave it running. Spray plenty of your preferred de greaser, Gunk, Jizer etc on, then let rip with the jet wash. Try not to point it at electrical bits too much.

Then afterwards I get the air line out and blow as much as possible away. Sorted.

Bigtimmy

I did my 205 with the engine out, makes life a lot easier, I even did all the electrics and plugs as well, and because I wasn't in a rush they had a good while (2 months) to dry out. Admittedly I then stripped and resprayed the bay and the engine was like new anyway so all was good.

I also did the engine on the new golf on Saturday, took off the nice cover, and with the car running set the steam cleaner to "stun" and got on with it. Like others have said try and avoid pointing the lance at the electrics and all should be well. I left it running for about 20mins afterwards and hey presto job jobbed!

HERMAN

Most valeters will have a steam cleaner, I use Traffic film remover it is what they use to clean truck chasis. It is very good it will even remove old dried out wax oil ect.

BusEngineer
find a bus or haulage depot and they'll definitely have one.

I work in a bus garage and i know we wouldnt allow any non employee on site let alone near the steam cleaner we have

Health and Safety world remember! :)

Bigtimmy
I work in a bus garage and i know we wouldnt allow any non employee on site let alone near the steam cleaner we have

Health and Safety world remember! :D

Health and what now? :)

kennygti
Most valeters will have a steam cleaner, I use Traffic film remover it is what they use to clean truck chasis. It is very good it will even remove old dried out wax oil ect.

TFR is a big no no with me. Gunk/Jizer for engine bays and avoid dizzy and plugs etc. I'm a valeter by trade. Most valeters will only have a high pressure system and not a steam cleaner.

GilesW

You have to be carefull when steam cleaning so as not to get rid of all the grease from the areas that grease should be.

Also with pressure washing - be carefull ltoo.

I killed on of my pico injectors that way. 100+psi is far more pressure than your average seals exect to see under the bonnet.

HERMAN

Whats wrong TFR? If you dont mind me asking.

TFR is a big no no with me. Gunk/Jizer for engine bays and avoid dizzy and plugs etc. I'm a valeter by trade. Most valeters will only have a high pressure system and not a steam cleaner.