• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BusEngineer

Primera Gt

BusEngineer

A while ago now i posted about a Primera i was going to buy and it being Cat B, since then i have bought a house and had some other financial issues

But im now in the position to buy again

I have about 800 quid to spend and considering thier current value i should get a half decent one :lol: hopefully

I have heard a few good things about them but im after more info from my learned friends on here please

Or if you like other suggestions for the same money or less, it has to be big enough to go camping in as the whole reason for buying one is so we dont have to cram everything in a 206 for a week away and secondly so i dont just go out and buy another 205 :(

All opinions welcome

boombang

Xsara VTS is another option, although only ever heard good things about the Primeras. Both suffer from massive image issues mind.

Paul_13

There's a VTS for sale in Marlow near me, £1500 67k on clock. Light blue looks mint, probably owned by a granma.

If you go through Marlow and head towards Stokenchurch it's on the left before you go up the big hill.

blue_haddock

if you get a primera you can go out mini-cabbing!

Paul_13

What reg you looking at?

My grandad has a Primera 51 plate, been good apart from window mechanism braking (but look at 306's!) and a constant knocking/flapping noise from front suspension which he has tried to get fixed many times but no luck. Been like it since he got it.

Been faultless otherwise.

Did have an annoying problem with the rear seat uprights, they kept shuffling to the side and making a clonking noise.

blue_haddock

and if you are looking for a project the SR20DET from the 200sx drops in very easily......

BusEngineer

Yeah because im really good at getting engine transplants done kev!! :( beer, barbecue and Mi remember

Alastairh

Good cars. I have owned a couple. I sold my second to a very good mate of mine and still clocks up 35+ mpg on a daily basis and i still own my original.

Just like any cars, there are down points / weak areas. The Primera being the gear box (typical Nissan..). But good second hand / rebuilt gear boxes are plenty available. Keep an eye out for rust being Jap also. They are fairly capable cars though. A well balanced chassis and once the engine is wound up you can expect to hastle modern warm/hot hatches.

Opt for the hatchback over the saloon. Not only do they look better but they are a million times more practical!

n504130334_3714214_8994.jpg

n504130334_6274148_6553665.jpg

Al

Edited by Alastairh

BusEngineer

Good to hear

Im looking at P11 GTs and im yet to see a saloon one but i have seen plenty of rust!

Should i be worried about mileages above 120K?

Anthony

Yup, very underrated cars - it was me that suggested Al looked at one, and I don't think that he's looked back since :wacko:

Comfortable, quick, handle well, largely reliable and pretty well equiped (for their age)

BusEngineer

The things ive heard are nothing but positive

Good reliablity, good handling, punchy engine

I suppose the only negatives ive heard are rust on bootlid and rear arches, bad for stonechips and ABS faults

Anything else i should be looking out for?

mickie

yeah!!

btcc bits..

DaveW

I wish i got one rather than my mk2 mondeo now

Edited by DaveW

BusEngineer

Thats my thinking, i could buy an ST24 for similar money but the Q car aspect of the Nissan is pulling me towards it

If i could get an ST24 estate without a squillion miles on for the money though id probably be swung!

DaveW

ST24 is good car but when they go wrong its a nightmare to work on...

BusEngineer

Im sure they are, too many stories of head gasket failure for my liking!

A primera that looks and goes like the one below will do ;):P

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...a_BTCC_1999.jpg

For 800 quid!!! haha

Edited by BusEngineer

feb

I haven't driven one but I remember reading in car magazines back in the mid 90's, they were one of the best in their class.

Edited by feb

KRISKARRERA

Out of all the road going versions of the BTCC cars from that era only one came close to having the handling of the BTTC car. The 405 Mi16. Well, according to Top Gear anyway.

Popshot

I had a Mk1 eGT. Excellent handling for a FWD and a nice revvy motor. Given it was 8 years old when owned I was surprised to see everything worked including the ABS which to that point was a novelty for me as almost every other 8 YO car I'd owned had at least something not functioning correctly. They often sound like a bag of spanners for a couple of seconds from a cold start. It's not at all unusual or anything to worry about so long as it's just a couple of seconds until the hydraulic tappets pump up. I never got more than 25mpg out of mine on local running though I regularly used the performance.