• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
muddatrucker

Dvla Offence

muddatrucker

My old car was written off in Jan/Feb, the insurance took it away and as far as I'm aware that was it.

Just received a £55 fine for not confirming it had been scrapped (I don't know what they did with it!) which I'm told was an offense...I wasn't made aware that I had to do anything once it was taken. Do I have grounds of appeal? If not, why have I been fined, who suffered as a result of the scrappage? It says the fine is an out of court settlement...

The letter is written in a way that's like "this is actually an offense" as if they knew most would be unaware.

Edit: I previously received a notification telling me someone had applied for the v5 and to ignore if I didn't wanna challenge.

Edited by muddatrucker

djc

Surely whoever applied for the V5 is technically the new keeper, if they then scrapped the car then its upto them to provide details. Years ago I had a motorbike stolen & never recovered - the insurance classed it as a total loss & requested the logbook, keys etc before paying out, upon paying out did the insurance companies not become the new owners/keepers in both cases?

I also bought a car 5 or 6 years ago & never received the logbook from the DVLA nor did I receive a reminder to tax/sorn the car (at the time of the tax expiry it was at a friends bodyshop as a long term resident) but did receive a fine of £80 if I remember correctly for not re-taxing or declaring sorn. Upon challenging this I was offered the fine at a reduced rate of £40 if paid within a certain period of time & the paperwork to apply for a logbook at a cost to myself. Needless to say it seemed easier to pay the £40 than argue with the DVLA. Another case of easy prey for a government body?

steve@cornwall

Which section of the vehicle licencing act (or whatever) do the DVLA say you have contravened?

Do you have proof of total loss of vehicle.

(you are still supposed to "notify" DVLA but there may be a cunning plan)

muddatrucker
Which section of the vehicle licencing act (or whatever) do the DVLA say you have contravened?

Do you have proof of total loss of vehicle.

(you are still supposed to "notify" DVLA but there may be a cunning plan)

I've since thrown out my old insurance documentation (since it expired about 3 days after making a claim), but I was paid via cheque which will be evident on bank statements and I'm sure the insurance will confirm it was written off.

steve@cornwall

muddatrucker

I've only been read the letter over the phone (I'm living away from where the car was originally registered) so I don't know as of yet.

SurGie

I got pulled over for a number plate being wrong in 2005 and a week after that it got wrote off. I got a court letter saying i never sorted it out so i tried to tell the court the situation but no luck, so i went court to be told the case is dismissed.

This is what will happen with you if it goes that far i believe.

Edited by SurGie