• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Xsara Vts Rack Vs Gti6 Rack

swordfish210

Hi guys, do any of you know if there is any difference in the amount of turns lock to lock between the GTI6 steering rack and the Xsara VTS rack. If there is, has anyone ever fitted a VTS rack to a 306? Thanks. Mark

Cameron

Yeah, there's about half a turn of difference. VTS is 2.5 turns and GTi6 is 3 and a bit.

Paul_13

Phase 1 VTS was 2.2 I thought. Sarty I think covered this recently or it's in Justin's thread..

If you get a VTS rack, source yourself a 205 square drive PAS lower column link and it will be a straight fit into a 205!

They do exist just really hard to find. Justin got his from my mates STDT 205 L reg

Edited by Paul_13

j_turnell
If you get a VTS rack, source yourself a 205 square drive PAS lower column link and it will be a straight fit.

You actually done that, as there was an ongoing topic about xsara rack fitment but there was no clear answer to whether that worked or not...

Anthony

Rememeber that a GTi-6 rack is lock-limited due to the 6 speed box (hence the pathetic turning circle turning right) - as far as I'm aware, the GTi-6 rack is no quicker than a standard 306 rack, but is less turns lock to lock because of the reduced lock (if that makes sense)

Paul_13
You actually done that, as there was an ongoing topic about xsara rack fitment but there was no clear answer to whether that worked or not...

All praise the gti found a square drive PAS link in his gaffe and it was a straight fit after I mention to him about it.

So yes it fits.

Does that make me pitcrew :)

Cameron

Anthony, does that lock limit come from the rack, ram or both?

Edited by Cameron

Anthony
Anthony, does that lock limit come from the rack, ram or both?

I've been told it's the ram (and the ram is a different part number to other 306's) but I've never verified for myself I'm afraid.

Cameron

Ok, well in that case the GTi6 rack will be less than the 3.4 or so turns I measured, as I did it without the ram. Steering rate will be the the same though!

swordfish210

Hmm, interesting. It's for a race car that i work on. It currently has a GTI6 rack (as far as i'm aware) but after having a ride in it at the weekend i can't help but feel it would really benefit from a shorter rack as he's having to work the wheel like he's driving a truck while cornering.

Cameron

Sounds about right.. has it got PAS?

swordfish210
Sounds about right.. has it got PAS?

Used to, not any more.

Cameron

Steering is going to be pretty heavy then!

James_m

So if the 306 racks are 3.x turns that would suggest they are the same as the normal 205 PAS racks anyway and not an upgrade

swordfish210
Steering is going to be pretty heavy then!

It's not bad really, it's just the amount of movement on the wheel required to get the car through the bends is huge. Also if the back steps out (as it can do because it's on quite a neutral setup slightly on the side of oversteer) it takes longer to catch it due to the amount of wheel movement.

All Praise The GTI

as paul said i found a square drive rack in the garden :lol:

and fitted the uj straight onto the xsara rack and its now on the car. no mods :) although i did cut down the track control arms to give more tracking adjustment as i wasnt sure how to change them when i did it :)

swordfish210

It would be going on a 306 anyway, not a 205. Sorry i thought i mentioned that in the OP :lol:

Matt Holley
It would be going on a 306 anyway, not a 205. Sorry i thought i mentioned that in the OP :(

You did, a few times :(

When he put a vid up from the llandow test years ago someone mentioned then that it would benifit from a differant rack and I think he said it wasn't allowed, could be wrong though.

swordfish210
When he put a vid up from the llandow test years ago someone mentioned then that it would benifit from a differant rack and I think he said it wasn't allowed, could be wrong though.

Well, rules are made to be broken :(

swordfish210

I just checked the regs and it states that the casing must be original but the internals are free.

Matt Holley
I just checked the regs and it states that the casing must be original but the internals are free.

Sounds like a win then.