• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309andy

1.6 Valve Sizes

309andy

hi everyone,

am i right in thinking that some 1.6 heads have bigger valves than others?

and if so what are the different sizes please?

is there any noticeable performance increase by fitting the head with the bigger valves?

thanks to anyone who can help

pug_ham

The very early 105bhp (engine code 180A) 1.6 GTI's had smaller valves than the 115bhp (B6D) later ones but these were fitted from mid 1986 C reg so the 105bhp engine is rarer than you might think.

According to the Haynes manual the 180A's had 40mm inlet with either 32mm or 32.95mm exhaust valves.

The later B6D/E engines had 41.6mm inlet & 34.5mm exhaust valves.

Book performance figures between the 105 & 115bhp were near as identical iirc.

Graham.

309andy
The very early 105bhp (engine code 180A) 1.6 GTI's had smaller valves than the 115bhp (B6D) later ones but these were fitted from mid 1986 C reg so the 105bhp engine is rarer than you might think.

According to the Haynes manual the 180A's had 40mm inlet with either 32mm or 32.95mm exhaust valves.

The later B6D/E engines had 41.6mm inlet & 34.5mm exhaust valves.

Book performance figures between the 105 & 115bhp were near as identical iirc.

Graham.

thanks graham, ive got a 1.6 engine out of a 1990 205 so in theory it should have the bigger valves.......awesome

SorrentoED

thats pretty good to know. I always thought that mine was 105bhp because when i put the reg in the VRM lookup at work it brings up 105 bhp but the engine code is B6E. :)

pug_ham
thanks graham, ive got a 1.6 engine out of a 1990 205 so in theory it should have the bigger valves.......awesome

It should be but to check look for the engine ID tag on the top of the block near the r/h engine mount.

post-71-1272544416.jpg

Graham.

Sign in to follow this