• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimmer

Brake Ducting Options/pics

jimmer

After experiencing brake fade on my last event i've decided to try and install some brake ducting. Does anyone have any pics of there ducting and where i can get hold of the parts?

Any help much appreciated

swordfish210

Heres some of mine:

DSC00501-1.jpg

DSC00498-1.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

maxirallye

why not fit some bigger wheels and 6 pot brakes ....

After experiencing brake fade on my last event i've decided to try and install some brake ducting. Does anyone have any of there ducting and where i can get hold of the parts?

swordfish210

Silly me, i forgot to recomend that nice cheap option :)

harryskid
Heres some of mine:

DSC00501-1.jpg

DSC00498-1.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

Is the supply of air coming in to where the lights use to be? :)

swordfish210

Yes

maxirallye
Silly me, i forgot to recomend that nice cheap option :)

James car is over 250bhp, cooking alcon 4 pots , don't think there is a cheap solution in reality! However he does has the option on the six pots and 17 inch wheels/ slicks from my car now i am running 18 inch wrc rubber.

Liquid_106
After experiencing brake fade on my last event i've decided to try and install some brake ducting. Does anyone have any pics of there ducting and where i can get hold of the parts?

Before you start on your ducting, have you thought about simply changing your fluid? Odds are it may be old and so contaminated (as all <I think> brake fluid is hygroscopic) and so will be less effective.

If you do swap it, why not upgrade to something a bit better than the usual, such as clicky (the blue variety).

Friend used it on his XE'd Nova (200bhp & 800ish kg) and never had any problems with brake fade, even on open pit lane days

Edited by Liquid_106

jimmer

i wonder why you suggest that tony, maybe because your 17's are in my workshop looking for a new home. :)

Being a farmers son, its my duty to attempt it on the cheap with some baler cord, a 5 gallon drum and some bathroom silicon sealant.

Thinking of maybe creating some wishbone mounted delectors

Cameron

Demon Tweeks or a similar place for the parts. You should make some GRP shrouds to duct the air into the centre of the brake disc, that would be proper motorsport. :)

Can't find any decent pics.. something like this:

DCP_2918.sized.jpg

Blowing a bit of air at the side of the disc isn't going to do s*it frankly, you need the air to be ducted into the centre of the disc so it can pass through the cooling vents.

Edited by Cameron

Cameron

This is what you want! :)

729px-Porsche_962C_without_nose.jpg

Batfink

I found some pictures

nmb4000.jpg

type in 'brake cooling' in google to get loads

jimmer
Before you start on your ducting, have you thought about simply changing your fluid? Odds are it may be old and so contaminated (as all <I think> brake fluid is hygroscopic) and so will be less effective.

If you do swap it, why not upgrade to something a bit better than the usual, such as clicky (the blue variety).

Friend used it on his XE'd Nova (200bhp & 800ish kg) and never had any problems with brake fade, even on open pit lane days

I'm running willwood EXP 600+ fluid already which has been in the lines for about a year at the most. How often should brake fluid be changed when under racing conditions?

Batfink
James car is over 250bhp, cooking alcon 4 pots , don't think there is a cheap solution in reality! However he does has the option on the six pots and 17 inch wheels/ slicks from my car now i am running 18 inch wrc rubber.

The amount of pistons will not have an effect on temperature control as its there to improve feel and pad surface contact. Bigger discs, better pads and fluid, and better cooling though ducts or more open faced alloys is the answer

Batfink
I'm running willwood EXP 600+ fluid already which has been in the lines for about a year at the most. How often should brake fluid be changed when under racing conditions?

That seems to have a good wet boiling point so its probably not your fluid that is a problem unless its old.

What pads do you have?

maxirallye
This is what you want! :)

729px-Porsche_962C_without_nose.jpg

James, you must have most of the ingredients for that in the back of your van, we can butcher one of your extraction fan kits, bit of fibreglass work, cheap solution!

Liquid_106

Afraid I'd have to let someone more experienced answer.

jimmer
I found some pictures

nmb4000.jpg

type in 'brake cooling' in google to get loads

That looks like an ideal setup for a 205 with the calliper in front of the hub and the driveshaft to avoid.

I am also using OZ superleggera wheels which are pretty open fronted

maxirallye
That seems to have a good wet boiling point so its probably not your fluid that is a problem unless its old.

What pads do you have?

Performance friction carbon metallic pads.

Liquid_106
Thinking of maybe creating some wishbone mounted delectors

Such as:

duct.jpg

Can't think how you'd attach it to the wishbone though :)

Liquid_106

What wheels do you run, as some 'hold' heat in more than others. My only point of reference are Cav slabs, more or less a solid disc so hold the heat in and brake fade is experienced a lot earlier, more so than with an open/multi spoked wheel.

Batfink
Performance friction carbon metallic pads.

Well its pretty hard to find any information on their pad compounds and temperature ranges so i'd change the brake fluid and try again.

What compound is fitted? I dont know what the operating ranges are for each one but its worth investigating whether you have the correct choice for the application.

jimmer
What wheels do you run, as some 'hold' heat in more than others. My only point of reference are Cav slabs, more or less a solid disc so hold the heat in and brake fade is experienced a lot earlier, more so than with an open/multi spoked wheel.

OZ Superleggera

post-11400-1272316337.jpg