• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jakey

Driveshaft Issue

jakey

Good afternoon ladies and gents off drivers. I hope everyone is well on this fine day.

Now i have a dilema, in which i hope you can help or shed some light.

Let me set the scene.

-1990 205 gti

-1.9 8v engine from a 309gti

-1.6 BE3 gearbox (Baz's old NVL one)

-GTi-6 hubs

-1.9 drive shafts.

Thats the info i think would be needed that would solve the riddle.

Now my problem, my N/S (short) driveshaft seems to be too short ironically. It measures in at lovely 567mm, which is the right length?! But when i put the shaft in the gearbox, and then go to do up the shaft nut, it pulls the shaft out of the gear box?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Or if i put it all the way in the gear box, the thread doesn't poke out the hub enough to get the nut on.

Now alot of people i have asked have not heard of this before, and are confused about the situation, as i am myself.

A few possible problems have been mentioned like, possibly having too much suction pressure in the cv boot, thus not letting the shaft pull out properly.

Another has been about the alignment of the engine, possibly the bottom engine fork pulling the engine to the other side of the bay slightly, meaning again that then the shaft wouldn't fill the gap it's meant to. But with group N mounts all round, it dosn't seem possible to have that much latteral movement.

The hubs are ABS hubs, and the shaft is non ABS, but again i can't see that making any difference as the shafts are the same length.

The O/S (long) shaft is fine by the way.

If you have experienced that before, please let me know, or if i've done something wrong then also please let me know.

Many thanks

Jake

PS, i hope what i have said makes sense?!? :D

hothatch

Well! Odd very odd.

I do eliminate the suction in the cv gaiter thing. Just stupid tbh, impossible in my eyes.

The shaft is just too short, ide say any way. I'm not too clued up on on the gti6 and 1900 shaft and hub compatibilitie though tbh with you.

There's definatly a length issue with the shaft or cv joint.

Maybe the actual stub on the end of the shaft ?

welshpug

shaft sounds too short, they are meant to be 600mm long compressed.

hothatch
shaft sounds too short, they are meant to be 600mm long compressed.

And as welshpug just deminstrated !

Knowledge is power !

jakey

Right, ok then, well i'll order another shaft in and hope that it's the right length.

Otherwise, could it be a case of having any other shafts that would fit?!

Perhaps a 306 one?

hothatch
Right, ok then, well i'll order another shaft in and hope that it's the right length.

Otherwise, could it be a case of having any other shafts that would fit?!

Perhaps a 306 one?

Well take the shaft back tell them the issue and compare parts.

Ide say you have an odd shaft with same spline size etc, just the cup , cvj, end shaft length is wrong.

Let us know how you get on

welshpug

exactly as Ben said, take it back, as far as I know there is no l/h shaft that fits both hub and gearbox that is shorter than a 205 1.9 item, so someone has done a right gaff in the remanufacturing factory and used the wrong intermediate shaft.

1.6 items are the same length, just a different hub spline.

306/405/partner are longer, 406 more so.

hothatch
exactly as Ben said, take it back, as far as I know there is no l/h shaft that fits both hub and gearbox that is shorter than a 205 1.9 item, so someone has done a right gaff in the remanufacturing factory and used the wrong intermediate shaft.

1.6 items are the same length, just a different hub spline.

306/405/partner are longer, 406 more so.

Funny you say that welshpug, I had a remanurfactured shaft that had a flat cup instead of a tapered cup before that kept eating wheel bearings from the word go and I was totally oblivious to the reason why until I took it back (after 3 wheel bearings) the factorys DO make mistakes and it causes problems for us fitters when trying to diagnose faults.

Should always compare shafts, I learnt the hard way. So I totally agree that Your shaft has to be at fault.

jakey

Got another one in through my mate who works at a motor factors.

i hoping it's a hash up from factory.

Only problem being that this car has had LOTS of upgrades, like practically a re-shell of my old car, so i only had 1.6 shafts before, and then BAz took them off my hands so sillyly (sp) i had nothing to compare it against.

Will let you know how it goes, cheers chaps!

Tommer

Have you got 309 wishbones on it? you might need the 309 drive shafts (which are longer) to reach correctly...

Baz
Have you got 309 wishbones on it? you might need the 309 drive shafts (which are longer) to reach correctly...

He hasn't no, and the 309 driveshafts and even wishbones aren't 30mm longer than the 205 items!

jakey

Right, went to my mate to get me another shaft, just incase there was a freak accident from the factory! Buy it's exactly the same!!

He checked, the length of my shaft, and the new one ordered, AND every single company that sell drive shafts that he deals with, and all state the compressed length of the shaft is 567mm.

So now i'm VERY comfused, as there's no ring or clip to hold the shaft into the gearbox, but yet it will not stay in?!

ARGH!!!

Masekwm

Jake,

You don't have the suspension on the wrong side do you? Just wondering if that would make the struts do / \ instead of | |.

Have you got the lower arms on?

Keith

jakey

Just had the car out the carport to trailor it to have the exhaust sorted and this problem still occurs, it was leaking 'box fluid when up on the ramps!!

ARGH!!!!!!

welshpug

have you fitted the right length shaft yet??

jakey

Welshpug, no where sells 600mm shafts, every single one is a standard 567mm compressed.

Another question, is there meant to be a little c-clip holding the shaft into the gearbox in the little recess behind the splines?

If not then the problem may have been solved, by surprisingly not having enough air in the cv boot, coz i took it off, got some air in, closed it up, and it fits pretty much perfectly now. The boot now naturally sits at the same length as an old old 1.6 shaft of mine, which were all fine when on those cars!!

So fingers crossed really!!

welshpug

fair enough, just checked AMK's data an they are indeed 567 mm long fully compressed by their measurements, it may be that the data I have seen elsewhere took a measurement from a different point on the shaft.

jakey

600 seems right as a stretched length, but not compressed.

But if there is no clip to hold the driveshafts in, then it must be the the whole 'air' thing in the cv boot!! :S

hothatch
600 seems right as a stretched length, but not compressed.

But if there is no clip to hold the driveshafts in, then it must be the the whole 'air' thing in the cv boot!! :S

There are no cir-clips in the box jake, just to let you know, hope you solve it soon. I will have a think.

dcc

do you have 309 wishbones? is your engine sat properly on its mounts?

kate205gti

measured my 1.9 shafts tonight and they are 600 stretched out so 567mm compressed sounds about right, i thought i read somewhere that gti6 hubs would cause the problem but just checked and thats the gearbox not the hubs doh!

its a normal 8v setup apart from the hubs, the engine would have to be badly tilted to the left for that to be the problem and everything else lines up :unsure: got me baffled :o

jakey

The engine is fine, and not misaligned!

I'm pretty damn sure releasing presure in the CV boot has solved the problem, just need to get a new clip for it! So so annoying and strange though!

Sign in to follow this