• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
The Arch Bishop

The Sparkle In The Mechanics Eye...

The Arch Bishop

Had a nice experience at the local garage today. Took the Pug on it's first proper run to work this year and once again, it behaved itself superbly (I'm going to start trusting it soon) but, having recently played with the timing, vac unit and tickover, I'd totally lost track of the mixture and had stupidly tried to fiddle with it blind. It stank of fuel for most of the journey and was obviously running super-rich.

I got back to our village and thought I'd try and blag the use of the garage's Co2 tester to set the mixture. Unusually for them, there was no work on so was ushered through to a bay andI was met by a grinning old boy who was obviously delighted to see me. Had a quick chat with him and got the impression that the old Pug had, frankly, made his Friday afternoon!

He let me get on with some tweaking (was sat at 3.5% Co2 and a few turns on the AFM screw saw it down to an easy 0.94%) and spent his time picking out new shiny parts in the engine bay and making appreciative noises. My point is that he looked like a man that hadn't seen an engine that could be set up with an allen key and a screw driver for far too long and was really rather enjoying it! He then waved any idea of payment for using their equipment which is always a bonus.

Has anyone else had any recent experience of what I'm going to call 'Old school engine hunger' from mechanics starved of setting up a car manually rather than using a laptop?

jord294

that's the sort of news i like to here

i'm going to book my resto project in for an m.o.t with peugeot main dealer within next couple of weeks, and can't wait to see their faces, when a mint 309 gti rolls in to the bay :)

Tom Fenton

The only place my 205 ever goes is the MOT station or the tyre fitter, either way it always creates some interest with all the guys coming to look at it. Even in the last few years most of the cars I used to see knocking about locally are slowly but surely disappearing.

Guest dirkdiggler
that's the sort of news i like to here

i'm going to book my resto project in for an m.o.t with peugeot main dealer within next couple of weeks, and can't wait to see their faces, when a mint 309 gti rolls in to the bay :D

its looking good....will keep my eye open for it on the local roads...

MerlinGTI

No one works on my 205 but me, only small exception is MOT which is done by my father in law and I'm always present for the whole thing doing the donkey work :D

My point being I sadly miss out on moments like this, but there's always the filling station conversations I suppose! Pulls a crowd everytime at work too, even though Ive been there nearly 4 years!

I breathe a sigh of appreacition for the 205 simplisity though. Would you belive we had to pull the memory from a Mazda PAS pump yesterday and transfer it to the new pump? Utter madness.

Edited by MerlinGTI

miamichris

I called into my peugeot dealer a few weeks ago in my Xs to pick up a some parts I'd ordered and had to park round the back where the service bays are because there were no parking spaces.

Came out from collecting my parts and found about 6 peugeot mechanics poking and prodding around the car, I had to laugh! :D They wanted a look under the bonnet and inside etc. suppose they don't see them much anymore!

I said to them, "if you like this, wait till I get my Gti project finished and you see that" B)

I quite like the interest the 205's get, people always come over to have a look around it. Was out in my brother's '86 corolla twin cam the other night and it gets the same sort of interest, I still preferred my 205 but its a nice car though.

muddatrucker

My Plymouth-Dakar rally car gets lots of attention, I love it, you get a few arrogant ****'s who like to claim its mechanically crap, but the reality is, there cars couldn't even reach the highs mine has, maybe I'll see theirs in the scrappy when I'm looking for parts!

Edit: infact some tosser saw me changing my radiator hose last week he said "it'll never make it!" to which I smugly replied "its already been there and back!".

Edited by muddatrucker

damien

ive got my MOTs done at the peugeot dealership in caterburry for the last few years, the only comments i get are ones along the lines of "you should part ex it for a 207".

monkee87

When i had my old Laser green GTi and i took it for MOT, the bloke who MOT'd it couldn't believe his eyes. Took him like 2 and a half hours to MOT my car because he kept on taking a look at how good it was!! :lol: Was so funny watching him, taking a step back and going, WOW!!!

When he saw my current GTi, he was just amazed at the fact it had ABS and my mint shiny goodwood wheels. :P Needs a respray, so it looks a bit crap up close.. He let me adjust my mixture for free too!! I love the simplicity of being able to adjust the fuel/air ratio.

He does love Peugeots though, he has had 405's for as long as i've known him. B)

monkee87
ive got my MOTs done at the peugeot dealership in caterburry for the last few years, the only comments i get are ones along the lines of "you should part ex it for a 207".

They are idiots who know nothing. SIMPLE AS. :lol:

hothatch
They are idiots who know nothing. SIMPLE AS. :wub:

I've had this experiemce many a times specailly with the boys at my local testing staition!n

They are all over 45 and used to own esocorts and gtes , I never get from there in less than two hours because we jus stand there and talk every little detail about the cars and past experiences !

And do you know what the best bit is ? They are talking of times before I was born !!!! And I become a part of it ! Its like a little time travel !!!

And gotta laugh at paul ! Can't stop playing afm spring, tuning the throttle response, just makes me laugh aye. Mad for it hahaha awsome

jeremy

My only strange experience of Peugeot garages recently was when I asked for Parts for my 309 GTI, after a few moments the lad asked me if it was carb or injection! Hasten to say I didn't buy anything.

Henry Yorke

I've had a "What's a 205?" from a Peugeot parts dealership before!

Mine is a pain as MOT stations are never quite sure what to put it through as with a half engine conversion! I usually get it through as a standard car and one tester said "I have not seen the turbo"

monkee87
I've had a "What's a 205?" from a Peugeot parts dealership before!

Mine is a pain as MOT stations are never quite sure what to put it through as with a half engine conversion! I usually get it through as a standard car and one tester said "I have not seen the turbo"

How can you have a 'half engine conversion'? I saw your car at Pugfest a couple of years ago, didn't realise it had a turbo lurking in there! Got a nice pic of it! :lol:

Baz
They are idiots who know nothing. SIMPLE AS. :lol:

What do you do for a living? Idiots who work/run a peugeot dealership, suggesting you trade in an old carfor a new model they happen to make money on selling and maintaining. Perhaps it was a tongue in cheek comment that had that sentiment in mind, and thus barely an act of idiocy.

Although otherwise, takes one to spot one perhaps, as they say.

:)

monkee87
What do you do for a living? Idiots who work/run a peugeot dealership, suggesting you trade in an old carfor a new model they happen to make money on selling and maintaining. Perhaps it was a tongue in cheek comment that had that sentiment in mind, and thus barely an act of idiocy.

;)

Why would you want to trade in your 205? It's too much fun! Hence why they are idiots who know nothing! ;)

The Arch Bishop

;)

Come on now lads, this was meant to be a genteel thread!

I'm wondering if it's possible to start a chat on here without it turning into an argument... ;)

monkee87
Come on now lads, this was meant to be a genteel thread!

I'm wondering if it's possible to start a chat on here without it turning into an argument... ;)

Yeah! Take note Baz! ;)

dave_gti

One time i had begun stripping the car while i waited for peugeot to open to collect parts and as soon as i walked in covered in oil etc i got an evil look of the salesmen, before i could say a word one of them said 'parts desk is over there!'

I felt like a right gypsy ;)

Edited by dave_gti

The Arch Bishop
Yeah! Take note Baz! ;)

And that won't help either!!

alfer
One time i had begun stripping the car while i waited for peugeot to open to collect parts and as soon as i walked in covered in oil etc i got an evil look of the salesmen, before i could say a word one of them said 'parts desk is over there!'

I felt like a right gypsy ^_^

I have done that many a time, Westover Peugeot they don't like oil covered customers :P They think it looks bad for them...

hothatch

A customers a customer and that's the end of it, I hate snobby salesmen and receptionist.