• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Bolster Cover(s) Material

dch1950

Hi Everyone,

It's been a few days since my last post and what with my birthday an' all I been having a bit of fun so bolsters didn't seem too relevant.

As you know I have been looking to get the patterns digitised and ready for distribution along with the sewing and fitting notes I'm drawing up. My original thought was to use CAD files but I ruled this out after all the pullava of stitching jpgs, converting to pdf in photoshop, then pdf to dwg for display and print by Autodesk Design review software - a highly attractive route as Design review is free issue. I had been looking for sources of "Large Format" scanners in order to get the file conversion done, with my initial thought being to just circumvent the the first conversion (jpg->pdf)

I found a local firm who have all the kit you could ever need (today) and will use them to scan the patterns I can't fit on my (A4) scanner. I have also found an alternate to Design review, and am able to insert the tile printing at the Adobe Acrobat stage now. A lot of add-on software is available for use with pdf files and I have come across one called PDF-View (by Tracker Software) which fills the gap adequately. It's not free for full use but is available for download for you "to evaluate" and for this type of file it is very good at tile printing - although it's run a close second by "PosteRazor"

I have taken delivery of a new "walking foot" for my sewing machine and that should ease the sewing problems I've been having. Fitted that today and will practice tomorrow. I have been using the foam pieces (see previous post) to gradually build up layers of a repair on a bolster and these pictures show the progress.

They're coming along nicely.

and

The use of the pieces lets me get more adhesive into the repair and it's stronger when the glue cures.

I will update when more progress is made. Meanwhile I've taken my old beam to bits and the Driver side shaft is well stuck in a chewed up outer bearing and sleeve. Pity I was hoping to refurb it - ah well

see ya

Dave

dch1950

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to say I have created a Bolster repair booklet, which is now available on my drop page.

Comments and additional input gratefully received.

regards

Dave

shalmaneser
...that's what I wanted to hear Dave :)

And yes - I know how the french rave about their GTIs - pedantic - is one word which springs in my mind.

And have you seen, that they already do a complete new seatfoam on this forum? It is quite expensive - but the optimal solution.

Though I think your diy solution of foam repairing is of more use for the common GTI driver who doesn't build a trailer-queen.

looking forward to your progress

andi

Got a link?

Would be interested to have a look at this Frenchy forum!

dch1950

Hi all,

a beautiful day today - more like summer.

I finished tracing and annotating the patterns this afternoon and will take them to be scanned tomorrow.

I can now finalise the sewing notes which will accompany them. Just to give you a flavour of what I've done here's an overhead shot of the seven sections. I will be repeating this exercise for the rear seats (more as an exercise than anything else really as they tend to wear better foam wise - but the covers may well need doing - dunno though , I'll have a think about that.)

I will sew up my own seat covers as It's important for me to get them bang on, and that still requires more practice on my part until I feel happy with my machine. Still "per ardua ad astra" as they say.

regards

Dave

Obey_R

Keep up the work, I'm hoping to recover mine soon so will deffinately use the info from here!

dch1950

Hi Everyone,

I have now had the patterns scanned to file and also took check prints to make sure everything was OK. No problems at all.

So barring pattern modifications as I make more covers, they will ready for download soon once I set up my marketing web site set up. I have been working on the sewing and assembly notes and a first issue is on my drop page for you to look at.

All comments (constructive please) gratefully received.

I have enrolled on a training course to get myself up to speed with using my sewing machine for real. Should be fun.

I am also looking to employ the services of a pro sewing machinist to help me with production. Things are starting to come together - but then I don't like just diving in head first - plan,plan and plan again then do it right.

Hope you are enjoying this thread - although it seems to me that some of you must have done this before - you're keeping very quiet. though.

best regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi Everyone,

What a beautiful solstice morning. My sewing notes are progressing well and I am now near completion of them.

These are notes though and are a guide to making the covers only. The quality and accuracy of your sewing (as I have found) may not lead to perfect results first time.So persevere.

I have thought long and hard about the patterns and the associated notes and guides that I have produced. I am going to be making and selling made up replacement GTi seat covers in the near future. I also will offer a service to refurbish seat covers by adding my new bolster covers to your check pattern inserts. If I had enough centre section insert sections or I could have found a supply easily, then I would have offered an old for new exchange system, but the check material is not made anymore so I will need you to send your covers to me in Leamington.

I have used the William Marston material B09/B as my main replacement material but will also offer Microcare black "suede" as the quality solution. Microcare being the newer type of material with better wear and clean properties than Alcantara. It is more than 3X the price of the cord material though.

Once the notes are completed - later this wek I hope, then the patterns will be freely available from my drop page along with all the current manuals/notes.

I have gained a lot of useful help from this forum since I joined and hope to put something back with these patterns etc.

If you think my efforts are worthwhile I would ask you to consider making a voluntary contribution to "Help for Heroes"

but I leave this up to you all to judge for yourselves.

regards

Dave

PS I will move on to making the rear seat patterns next.

D

dch1950

Hi all,

I'm still looking for a suitable check patterned insert material. Found this this afternnon.

a red and black dogstooth check, made by Chapmans of Lancashire

doesn't look to bad does it.

Dave

Paulmac19
Hi all,

I'm still looking for a suitable check patterned insert material. Found this this afternnon.

a red and black dogstooth check, made by Chapmans of Lancashire

doesn't look to bad does it.

Dave

L :(;) ks pretty good to me nice match!

dch1950

Hi again,

unfortunately the material I displayed in my last post was a printed moleskin fabric (velour) and not an ideal replacement.

I started "dissecting" the real material to see what it was made of. The warp is standard and comprises of 2 threads (black) of 2 threads each. I don't know the technical terms for this type of thread but If anybody does feel free to join in.

The weft is a curious material, red and black strips of plastic backed felt like material about 3.5/4 mm wide - like so

To be honest it doesn't look that sophisticated a fabric and if a supplier of the red/black material can be found I'm thinking that a far east supplier might be found to weave it. - You never know.

regards

Dave

dch1950

Good evening all,

Just a quick note to say that I have now created a zip file (on my drop page) which contains the patterns, the instructions, and the pictures so they can be downloaded in one go.

I will update this archive regularly - the updates to the sewing instructions being the most likely to change in the near future.

good luck guys

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

as part of my never ending pursuit of new insert material, I got sent this from a supplier for consideration.

This is a bri/nylon two tone with a 2mm scrim backing ( see how easily I've slipped into trim speak !)

Doesn't look too bad - we're getting there slowly but surely

What do you think?

regards

Dave

lemmingzappa

Looks pretty close !

The weaves just need to be a touch longer.

dch1950

This is a real possibility - Camira fabrics product done in this style also with green - I have sent for samples and also asked if they do a red/black version. This a wool weave material and so has good wear properties.

I'm getting there, I will succeed

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi again,

As you can see I am looking mainly in the UK for a seat insert material replacement. I have also been in in touch with Chinese mainland manufacturers (using Alibaba.com) and have been getting good responses from seat fabric/upholstery material manufacturers. They want more info - of course but the initial response is positive. I will pursue both UK and Chinese links - it's quite interesting - and I've not been to China before.

regards

Dave

GLPoomobile

Credit where it's due Dave, your not f***ing about with this are you? :D

I've long thought it would be brilliant if somebody could start producing imitation check patterned fabric, but I never thought anyone would actually do it due to the financial outlay.

Henry Yorke

This is a real possibility - Camira fabrics product done in this style also with green - I have sent for samples and also asked if they do a red/black version. This a wool weave material and so has good wear properties.

I'm getting there, I will succeed

regards

Dave

This looks very similar to the interior that was fitted to the 309 GTI16 which had the same chequered weave as the 205 GTI but with blue instead of the red. I am sure a few people would be interested in this as possible miami blue retrim colour with a grey carpet.....

dch1950

Hi all,

It is my intention to get the upholstery of our cars refurbished as well and as close to the original factory fit as I can.

I have spent time on the bolster refurb, the patterns and the bolster cover manufacture. For my own part I am working on getting my sewing skills up to speed and I think you are all aware that I wish to be in a position to manufacture quality replacement covers for our PUGs. I am currently looking for sewing machinists to assist me with production.

Seat insert material has always presented a logistical supply problem, i.e I have to be able to produce the complete cover - which means I either buy up every Gti seat cover in the known world, or I find a replacement material. If it can be done , rest assured I'll do it.

Hope everyone's playing around with the patterns - good fun aren't they. Drove me bloody mad trying to see how they went together mind you. I would ask you all to bear with me on this part of my various projects and I'm sure a good cost effective solution will emerge.

Best regards

Dave

dch1950

Good day everyone.

I have had a fairly mad couple of days. I've been on-line to China quite a lot talking to fabric manufacturers using MSN and alibabas own version for exhanging info on the seat material.

Compared to some of the responses I've had in the UK, to be honest you can see why China is racing ahead of eveybody on the production front. Very much a can do attitude - which I like a lot.

I have forwarded material samples to 3 companies who are interested in quoting me. As it takes a few days I'll have to sit back and wait.

Back on the home front - Camira Fabrics got back to me today and sent me a samples card for their Plaza material.

This is the one I showed before. A straight fabric which may ( I say may) get to a reasonable approximation of what we want. No velour on the red/black strips though - a plain weave material. I have asked them about a red/black variant as they don't have that particular variant on the sample card. The red of the one at the top (PLX01) with a black background would look good. I've also asked them if they could change the pattern size and repeat. It will be interesting to see how they reply, because the Chinese don't have a problem with anything like that - still musn't pre-judge, they might surprise me.

here's the Camira chart - the seat shown in the LH corner didn't come out very well so I took a close up to illustrate what I mean.

and

I have put a hi-res tiff file on the drop page - but it's big , 23Mb !

Worth a look though.

Will keep you up to date as and when

regards

Dave