• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harley

1.6 Overfuelling

harley

Basically the car runs as it should. Idles at 2k on a cold start and drops off to around 1k when it is at temperature, after lots of driving it sometimes drops to 800 and gets a bit lumpy but I think that is normal right?

However, I am getting through soo much fuel it is sickening (even more so considering I use this car to deliver pizza three nights a week!).

When I was replacing the starter motor I noticed that the large hose running from the bottom of the oil filler to the block had a few jubilee clips bunched up in one section and seemed to be weeping through them slightly. If this Hose has a slight split and is leaking air could that cause the engine to run rich?

Need to get this sorted now as it is driving me crazy!

Thanks In advance, Harley

Tom Fenton

First of all you need to determine how much is it actually using? Next time you go for a decent run somewhere work it out. Around town the fuel economy is always going to be poor.

The split hose will not be helping in general but probably isn't your problem. I would look at both the coolant temp sensor, and the air flow meter. Both are known to cause issues.

harley

Do you mean the blue sensor below the dizzy? I think a friend has a spare afm so will have a try with that on but then I'm not sure what condition that one will be in.

richsmells

That's the one. About £10 from GSF. Sorted my poor economy out.

Edited by richsmells

harley

ok cheers, will get hold of one of these asap and keep my fingers crossed that will sort it!

harley

also, i am probably being really stupid here but my coolant temperature gauge is working fine. is that read from a different sensor?

richsmells

Yes :P

harley

well i will try and get down to gsf this afternoon or tomorrow and get back on here with the results!

muddatrucker

My 1.4 GT gets me about 30mpg I reckon, it really bothered me for a while, now I make sure I fill the tank completely each time, just so I don't have an emotional breakdown in Waitrose filling station!

harley

So just been out to have a look and behind the dizzy i can find 3 plugs. 2 small side by side and below these there is a single, slightly larger plug with a thicker black wire coming from it. (is this the ecu temp sensor?)

All of these seem to be covered in dirty old oil and I couldn't pull the plug from what I think is the ecu temp sensor, is there a clip/catch i need to move to allow removal?

Rich_p

Check the tps sensor too, mine was drinking it when that went. £10 of petrol lasted about 20 miles!

harley

where would i find the tps sensor?

happygoron

Attached to the throttle mechanism.

Ren
So just been out to have a look and behind the dizzy i can find 3 plugs. 2 small side by side and below these there is a single, slightly larger plug with a thicker black wire coming from it. (is this the ecu temp sensor?)

All of these seem to be covered in dirty old oil and I couldn't pull the plug from what I think is the ecu temp sensor, is there a clip/catch i need to move to allow removal?

See this post for a pic, it's the blue one at the bottom.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...;hl=temp+sensor

harley

Thanks for all the help, replaced it now and economy seems better but I I can still smell fuel when I get out of the car.

Think I might try a new tps as suggested above but don't want to fork out for one if mine is fine! is there any way of checking or are they really cheap?

large

Or have you got a leak?

harley

I don't think it is a leak as I have never found any marks on the floor where I park her. How would I check this for sure though?

miamichris

what about taking it to a garage and getting the emissions checked in case your mixture is set up completely wrong?

the common thing seems to be this ecu temp. sensor though so I'd replace it first and see how you get on.

eck_johnston

can i be a wee bit cheeky and (assuming you got one from them) ask what the GSF part number was for the ECU temp sender?

not sure if i'm being a muppet on their website but i can't find them..

cheers

eck

harley

yeah when I asked if it was definitely to fit the 205 they told me it was listed for the bmw e30 and e36, it is the correct part though

harley

Just been to check the plugs and all seem fine although they were done up very tight and one of the HT leads does not seem to connect to the plug properly. the other 3 all need to be pulled quite hard but this one practically falls off!

Could this be the source of my problems? also noticed a couple of the leads have worn away in places, am I right in thinking this could be causing the occasional misfire I am experiencing?

The TPS "Clicks" just as the throttle comes to rest position but I have not tried testing it with a multimeter yet to see if it is dead or not! Is this a relatively easy job to do?

muddatrucker

Would a 1.4 GT with a TU engine have this sensor? I might consider changing mine if so.

harley

I'm now pretty sure that the ecu temp sensor has made no difference. I put £10 in a couple of days ago and that has only got me 40 miles!

If my tps has died in the wide open throttle position would that cause this sort of overfuelling?

also, when I checked the spark plugs they didn't seem black or oily so could that mean that the cause could be to do with a cracked exhaust manifold? the rest of the system should be fine because it was brand new just before christmas.

jackherer

Lift up the back seats then pry out the plastic covers over the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender. Check the hoses and gaskets there and then look under the car where the hoses emerge. I had the supply hose fail on mine and it went fairly quickly from bad economy to emptying my tank onto the road and leaving me stranded. Its also worth checking the tank filler hose which runs inside the wheelarch and sometimes get damaged.

Sign in to follow this