• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackflash

Water Leak, But Where From?

jackflash

Hi people, Ive recently gone to change the stereo in my 205 gti and after removing the old one have found it quite badly corroded at the back, so much so Im amazed it still works, it appears I have a leak somewhere behind the dashboard, I hovered our the car recently and found the carpet to be wet more so on the passenger side footwell than the drivers side, I have inspected the windscreen seal and it looks to be ok, has anyone has a similair problem? any thoughts would be apreciated. many thanks

Pugnut

more than likely the heater matrix, although it normally sends coolant to the drivers footwell.

search for heater matrix, theres plenty info, but first check if the water tastes sweet because that will verify that its coolant and do you use any coolant? other than that it could be some of the grommets on the bulkhead?

jackflash

ok thanks for that, looks like i have the joy of taking the dashboard out then :)

GLPoomobile

Maybe it leaked out of the Search function B)

backroadpug

sounds like the heater matrix as said you dont need the dash out in a 205 just the centre console side pannels only takes 40 mins max and on a non gti you dont have to remove a thing 20mins max easy stuff i swapped mine from my gti to my rallye

jackflash

thanks for the info, is there a guide on here anywhere for the dash removal/ side panel removal? Have searched but cant seem to find it. kind regards

Pugnut
Remove the bottom bit of dash(under steering wheel), undo a couple of bolts holding the pipes to the matrix, slide the pipes back in to the engine bay, remove a couple of screws holding the matrix in and slide out.

About 15mins work