• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

Upgraded Wetsump

petert

I've been getting itchy feet to get racing again. The rebuild of my 2L engine has been delayed, so in the meantime I thought I'd throw in a standard XU9J4Z I had sitting around. Having done 300000+Km, it's well and truly run in and still has 185psi on each pot. I'll add all the usual external goodies, but internally it's bog stock. I know if I installed it as is, it would last half a lap. So I've taken the opportunity to build an upgraded wet sump. If it lives after these mods I know the sump is worthy of a stamp of approval in the quest for XU9J4 oil control!

The base sump is an early XU9J2 air conditioned aluminium sump. To this will be added a spacer plate and extended pickup. I've added the usual trap door wall on the left. More importantly, I've started to build a curved wall on the right of the pickup to combat oil movement on long left handers. The notching is to clear the pickup. The next step is to cut away the recess for the A/C compressor, further increasing oil capacity and build a second trap door. The wall can't be as high as the other wall, but anything extra is a bonus.

The other mod I'm going to try is a mesh type windage tray rather than solid. Theory suggests mesh does a better job of breaking up the oil into droplets and allowing faster return to the sump.

post-2864-1270633534_thumb.jpg

A2TheA
I've been getting itchy feet to get racing again. The rebuild of my 2L engine has been delayed, so in the meantime I thought I'd throw in a standard XU9J4Z I had sitting around. Having done 300000+Km, it's well and truly run in and still has 185psi on each pot. I'll add all the usual external goodies, but internally it's bog stock. I know if I installed it as is, it would last half a lap. So I've taken the opportunity to build an upgraded wet sump. If it lives after these mods I know the sump is worthy of a stamp of approval in the quest for XU9J4 oil control!

The base sump is an early XU9J2 air conditioned aluminium sump. To this will be added a spacer plate and extended pickup. I've added the usual trap door wall on the left. More importantly, I've started to build a curved wall on the right of the pickup to combat oil movement on long left handers. The notching is to clear the pickup. The next step is to cut away the recess for the A/C compressor, further increasing oil capacity and build a second trap door. The wall can't be as high as the other wall, but anything extra is a bonus.

The other mod I'm going to try is a mesh type windage tray rather than solid. Theory suggests mesh does a better job of breaking up the oil into droplets and allowing faster return to the sump.

this looks fantastic. if you give me permission i would like to add this to a theory project i am doing at university??

petert
this looks fantastic. if you give me permission i would like to add this to a theory project i am doing at university??

Sure, but wait and see if it hangs together - 23 May from memory.

rodionski

Peter, why would you not consider the designs used by BMW in their M3 oil sump control and/or the systems used by drift cars?

What they do is essentially build a complete box around the pickup with 2-3 doors on each wall. This must surely be better than the constella or, for what it's worth, even your designs, with all due respect :-)

BTW, this design is actually similar to the designs used by Peugeot Sport for their 306 rally cars as seen from their Peugeot sport boutique.

Here's the link to the shop: LINK

Here's a couple of examples.

baffle.jpg

Cosw%20Sump%20Baffle%20copy.jpg

httpi33.photobucket.comalbumsd90Garage19SWG19Baffle.jpg

oilpan07b.jpg

IMHO I would tend to think that the tuned M3 baffled sumps and those of drift cars would be the way to go here as they surely generate more lateral G-forces than our Mi16 :-)

Edited by rodionski

Dj_mini

Thats is exactly how my peugeot sport xu10 one works with the same little rubber doors.

rodionski

AFAIK, the main thing here is not only to have rubber or metal doors, but to create a walled in box around the oil pickup (especially seeing drift cars sumps) so that oil is always retained in that box (even with walls on the top as much as possible), still allowing oil to enter the box during any cornering, and not allowing it to leave the box other than via oil pickup.

rodionski

Does anyone know if those rubber doors are sold separately? They surely must be as it would appear that all baffles use the same rubber doors.

It would be great to have them made or find who sells them in order to use in our baffles. They work better than metal doors since they would normally stay closed unless pressed open by oil.

petert

I did some more work today. There was a few hours work just getting the extension to fit nicely. I might end up dumping the curved wall and just go with another straight wall. The one in the pic. goes all the way into the extension.

post-2864-1270992960_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1270992978_thumb.jpg

rodionski

Yes, Peter, that's more of what I'm talking about!

The extra capacity due to that additional pocket is what almost all modified baffled sumps of pro drift cars use, at least all I've seen anyway!

They all do use a lot lot more doors than your wall though.

petert

Yes, I plan to put two more doors in. One to stop oil moving to the right, and another to stop oil moving forward.

rodionski

That would probably be the case with my engine, as on a track going to a 2click right turn, the oil pressure warning would light up after heavy braking in a straight line before the turn, and when turning right. This would probably imply that the oil would gather in the top front of the sump and then flow left when turning right.

Naturally, none of the increased oil pressure (spring, gear, chain) or the constella sump baffle would seem to help.

I must note, however, that during the same conditions it was absolutely fine through that turn with oil at 100% top level judging from the dipstick, whereas the case I mention above would be with about 90-95% oil level.

I will top up and try again soon (but on sticky tyres and more grip). We'll see, but I'm already convinced that the multi-door multi walled sump is the way to go.

unariciflocos

Any news with this Peter?

petert

No, sorry, I've been snowed under on the home front and haven't had any time for personal projects. I have made a little more progress however and will post some pics next week.

JeffR

Peter, have you measured what the extra capacity is? Looking at the pic maybe somewhere around 1.25-1.5 litres.

unariciflocos

Please tell me you've made progress with this. Some of us look up to you as a god when it comes to how to modify Mi16s. B)

JonnyGee

great idea any more news with it??

rodionski

I will soon be starting a similar build of the sump in view of the coming racing season. Will be making photos and discussing progress/advice of seasoned oil surge veterans. haha )

petert

It's been on the back burner, along with all my own projects, due to family commitments. Hoping to get it finished over the holidays.

Mattsav
Does anyone know if those rubber doors are sold separately? They surely must be as it would appear that all baffles use the same rubber doors.

It would be great to have them made or find who sells them in order to use in our baffles. They work better than metal doors since they would normally stay closed unless pressed open by oil.

SBD Motorsport used to sell them. Pricey though!!!

rodionski

I checked their website - did not manage to find rubber flap doors anywhere.

Sign in to follow this