• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

406 Coupe

Bonzai

I've just dug out the PPC guide from Feb 2007 (issue 34) and boy do they sound rough. Here are the main points:-

Designed and built by pininfarina, dubious build quality.

Door retaining straps break and knock catches out of alignment

Bonnet release cable prone to snap

stripped gear in air recirc flap motor clicking behind glovebox, easier to disconnect and ignore than fix?

clicking from drivers side dash is indicator relay due to column stalk on its way out

brake warnings due to crap handbrake switch.

intermittant speedo and odd steering feeling either speed sensor or speed sensitive steering interface.

electric seats, dry connections, soldering required.

JBL speakers wear out?

coolant temp sensors die, reduce power

coil packs rough running and poor cold starts

upper offside engine mount knocking

leaking radiators (V6 typically?)

V6 cambelt = £1k dealer, head gaskets = £2k

brembo brakes persistant squeeling, no mention of cure?

ABS sensor rings on driveshafts crack

knocking from rear, could be anything basically!

Sounds like a bag of s*it then really :)

Any opinions to the contrary?

richsmells

I don't think they're quite that bad if well maintained. V6 is meant to be bomb proof, others being typical XU or EW/DW. I looked at one briefly after the 205. One of the better looking Peugeots IMO.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=107253

Edited by richsmells

welshpug

doesn't sound any worse than most cars out there, they all have their faults.

you'd be very unlucky if you found a car with every fault from your list.

cambelt can be done a lot cheaper btw, use late D9 water pump and tensioner kits, they fit the earlier D8 engine and do away with the hydraulic tensioner, but not many people know about this!

I don't get why a leaking rad would be limited to the V6, nothing special about them over a 1.9 diesel model.

upper engine mount wear, typical of every pug not just the v6 406!!

probably a world apart from your current steed though :)

boombang

They missed out issues with the adaptive sports suspension - know a few people who've owned V6s with this option and it's not worked on any of them.

Old man had one from about a year old. Press the damper button and it would just flash at you, Peugeot never managed to fix it.

Other than that it was perfect whilst he owned it. Few years on it came on market again, I went for a look and it was f***ed in every way. Time had been very hard on it.

Miles

The only thing I would say would be an issue but it is on any car is the electronic suspension,

Other than that cost per mile is cheaper than the 2.0 engine one hands down, I know the only fault I;ve had with mine is the temp sensor and rad fans but the fans where a due to driving thru floods so you cannot blame them for failing.

Mines (Although not the coupe) is the most reliable car I;ve owned and with 250 odd k on it nothing has gone wrong, as you know it's towed, Been on track and the ring and not even serviced when it should either.

Yes cambelts maybe expensive but over time it works out cheap as they only need changing at 85k compared with 2.0's every 35k or so, almost 3 to 1

D9's thou do have coil pack issues and Cat issues as they have 4 of them

Edited by Miles

Fox

I really like them, never owned one, never even driven one. But I really like them!

I've always fancied doing a GTI6 engined one

Miles

No point, the v6 is quicker then a 306 GTi anyway

jackherer

I drove a 2.0 coupe across Europe for Cybernck and I really liked it and had no problems. I did the same with a lower mileage Vauxhall Vectra and it was much worse.

I've had a 406 V6 (estate, not coupe) and it too was brilliant, had no issues at all and my sister has it now.

Bonzai
probably a world apart from your current steed though :)

Well they have similar real world MPG's so i am seriously considering a V6 powered replacement, this being one of the options but now i'm not so sure. Assuming the sports suspension and speed sensitive steering were standard, not options, sounds like it was too much too soon for peugeot! I'm not sure i can go back to a car that need attention every other weekend

DrSarty

I have to ask. Has the romance ended with the Type R Accord Ben?

welshpug

2.2 AccordR has similar MPG to the 406 V6? :)

crumbs!

A bit less BHP but a totally different torque curve, can't say I've heard a 2.2 Honda engine note, but I do like the ES9J4's growl.

hothatch

you forgot to add the window regulator problems !!

i know this because they are the same ones they put in 306 convertibles ! i got one ! they sh** lol

ORB

A friend of mine that works in the parts dept at my work has a very nice one for sale at the moment.

It is a 3.0 V6 in dark green, beige leather and big wheels.

Looks and goes well.

He would take a 1500 for it if you showed up with the money.

I think it is on Pistonheads.

jackherer
can't say I've heard a 2.2 Honda engine note, but I do like the ES9J4's growl.

The Accord Type R sounds very nice stock but the ES9J4 is pretty quiet with the standard airbox and exhaust. My Citroen C5 V6 with a massive K&N sounds quite frankly ludicrous for what it is, people turn and look then look elsewhere as they don't believe the sound is coming from such a boring looking car...

Alastairh
can't say I've heard a 2.2 Honda engine note,

:);):D My Brother bought one the other week with a few tweeks. A very capable car if driven in anger. But i have to say Ben, im not sure i would swap an Accord for a 406 coupe. Once you've had reliable jap as a daily driver. Its hard to beat it!

Al

Bonzai
I have to ask. Has the romance ended with the Type R Accord Ben?

Im not sure it ever started to be honest. It ticks boxes, but it doesnt leave me with a smile after every journey. Also i wouldn't mind a bit of cash in my pocket.

2.2 AccordR has similar MPG to the 406 V6? ;)

crumbs!

A bit less BHP but a totally different torque curve, can't say I've heard a 2.2 Honda engine note, but I do like the ES9J4's growl.

I have a k&n panel filter fitted and it does have a nice induction note through the midrange, but thats part of the reason why i get such bad mpg, you end up giving a good stab of right foot in 2nd and 3rd when your ears need pleasing.

:D:o:D My Brother bought one the other week with a few tweeks. A very capable car if driven in anger. But i have to say Ben, im not sure i would swap an Accord for a 406 coupe. Once you've had reliable jap as a daily driver. Its hard to beat it!

Al

I think your right, it was just an option i had to look at. So i'm pretty much narrowed down to a corrado vr6 B)

welshpug

hmm, Cast iron 190 bhp VW, or alloy 196bhp pug, 200 kilos in it mind, pugs a heavy beast, but still not slow ;)

Miles

After having a little ding dong with one a while back in Germany of course, It was pretty much the same with gear changes upto 100 ish, He looked very surprizzed with the little old 406 Estate not being left for dead, Mind I find that with all the Audi and BMW drivers on the Autobann's at over 155 mph they can;t beleve it, Great fun

DrSarty

I'm glad you've been honest about your relationship with the Accord. So secretly you've been having an affair with something else behind its back! ;)

Re: VR6

It's possible my mate Pronta would sell his if you're interested, but it's over near Cambridge.

It's that Mulberry (deep purple) colour with full black leather, leccy everything and so on, and made a healthy 200 on a RR day I was at.

What's good, is that he's a VAG guru and would ensure you got a sound and loved car. Might be quite cheap too.

Just a thought as it's been sitting on his front lawn for months. :D

scottish_lion

Is it me or is that a Golf Rich? If it's who I think it is, and the car I think it is, it's very tasty though...

quagmire

I had an Accord Type R last year and you hit the nail right on the head. Its fast, reliable, sounds awesome and handles well but somehow its just boring to drive.

boombang
I had an Accord Type R last year and you hit the nail right on the head. Its fast, reliable, sounds awesome and handles well but somehow its just boring to drive.

It's the "soul" of the car you're looking for.

Is the difference between liking a car and loving it.

Strangely enough it usually is the flawed cars that have it (Pugs, Alfas, Lotus etc).

Bonzai
I'm glad you've been honest about your relationship with the Accord. So secretly you've been having an affair with something else behind its back! :blush:

Re: VR6

It's possible my mate Pronta would sell his if you're interested, but it's over near Cambridge.

Not so much having an affair, but its definately comparable to looking at other women and thinking i could have done a little better for myself :lol:

I'm willing to travel for the right car. My 205 came from Stratford-upon-Avon and my ATR came from Southampton way. I need to speak to my insurance and check that its not going to be daft before i commit myself to the change though.

I didn't really want this to become a topic about me btw, i had searched here for info on the 406 coupe as i recall seeing threads and no doubt it is something many forum members will consider at some time, so if anyone else does ahve anything to say about them please speak up!

RHULPUG
Not so much having an affair, but its definately comparable to looking at other women and thinking i could have done a little better for myself :blush:

I'm willing to travel for the right car. My 205 came from Stratford-upon-Avon and my ATR came from Southampton way. I need to speak to my insurance and check that its not going to be daft before i commit myself to the change though.

I didn't really want this to become a topic about me btw, i had searched here for info on the 406 coupe as i recall seeing threads and no doubt it is something many forum members will consider at some time, so if anyone else does ahve anything to say about them please speak up!

Have you driven a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo? Before I bought one a few years ago the 406 V6 Coupe was on my list of alternatives. I found the 406 (manual version) certainly was no slouch in a straight line, quick but not fast, but once you drive a 20v Turbo, the sound of a 5cyl at any revs, the smoothness, and the quirkyness soon persuades you to part with your money. In standard form, with regular servicing (mainly aux and cam belts) there're few problems.

Not looked at a Corrado for a few years but at the time I seem to remember around 2k would buy a high mileage scruffy example, then there were the mint ones for between 5-->6k+. A standard looking Mk2 Golf with a VR6 conversion appeals more IMO.

24seven

If I still had the space for another car alongside my 205, I'd have one in a heartbeat! Beautiful to look at, fantastic V6 induction note and if the passenger ride I had in a 2.0 was anything to go by, a joy to drive.