• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JRL

Roll Cages In Road Cars

JRL

Im not planning on wearing a helmet to drive to work every day so I wonder if anyone could tell me if its more dangerous for myself and passengers on a road car? I witnessed a bad accident with a 205 crumpled beyond recognition it should have put me off them but cant help myself.

James

welshpug

I wouldn't say so myself, there's other bits of car that'd hurt just as much if you headbutt them in an accident.

Extra cage padding might be an idea, though you'd ideally have some there anyway, you do for any competition car.

Also fitting harnesses and a bucket seat would help a lot.

IMO its all or nothing i.e stock seats belts and shell, or cage buckets and harnesses, harnesses and a stock seat is pointless, harnesses buckets and no cage is dangerous as you have nowhere to go as the roof/a-pillars comes down.

harryskid

Make sure areas where you could bang your head are well padded and around bolts where they may stick out. I not sure but i think some insurance compane..ys like to be informed. Passengers might find it a bit of a struggle getting in or out.

:)

large

Get some cage pading. Not the FIA rubber stuff as that is for use with a helmet. Get the thick foam stuff not pipe laging as that's crap and cover everything.

JRL

No where to go if the roof caves in: that scares me. Another expensive thing to get but safety first I shall look at SD website isnt there a guy that fabricates cages on here?

Cheers welshpug

JRL

yep thick padding is definately a good idea! so it would probably end up being softer than anything on the car as standard anyway.

Rob Thomson

Here's an old thread where this was discussed to death...

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=36495

There have certainly been cases where people have come off badly after head-butting a cage (1980s British rally star - who's name I can't remember - who died following a road accident to mention one) but I've seen plenty of very badly munted road rally cars (including 205s) out of which the occupants have climbed unscathed but would have been totally f***ed without the enormous benefits that even a simple 6-point cage provides in a heavy impact.

JRL

I always search before I post so I dont upset anyone but i didnt see this. thanks

JRL

I have just read that thread its long took me 40 mins, just with most modifications its never black and white. Theres a lot of contradicting posts. I think on the whole people agreed motorsport-= cage and road= no cage after reading the saftey debate. Still I look inside my 205 and there is sod all protection so I think I still will be looking to get one.

boldy205

i have often thought this, but then imagine smashing your head through the window in a crash/roll, and cutting your neck.

Baz

Echoingthat topic, i wouldn't want to run a cage on the road without proper seats and harnesses.

JRL

Put simply as im simple.

No cage but with buckets and harnesses = possibility of roof caving in on your head preventing you from ducking it.

Cage with no buckets and harnesses = possibilty of eating tubular steel frame.

So..... A 205 with a 6-point cage, racing seats, harnesses and thick foam padding will do the job nicely. Agreed?

Its not nice hearing that someone you know or have chatted to on a forum has been killed in an accident so hopefully it will get everyone checking their set up.

I was once dropping my girlfriend off to uni on my way to work one morning I came round a corner in a semi rural area and came up to slow traffic. Up ahead I could see a car on its roof as I got closer I said it looks like a 205 my gf said dont say that and was panicking because her brother owned a 1.9 sure enough it was his car. He kicked open the rear hatch becuase the bonnet had been crushed inside the passenger side. Apart from glass cutting his face up he was ok anyone sitting in the passenger side would have been squashed scary thing was he was meant to be taking her to uni that morning.

Iim sure a lot of you have near miss stories?? that make us think about roll cages and saftey.