• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weetel

20005 Gti 1.6 Air Flow Meter

weetel

hi i am new to the forum i have just purchased a 1992 pug 205 gti 1.6. not 20005 like the title says. lol

i am having problems with idling and i have been advised this could be air flow meter or mass itake sensor.

i have been struggling to get the parts i need to get my car on te road and would like to know if anyone could point me in the right direction to get my car running properly again.

from what my autospark has told me it is either mass air intake sensor or air flow meter.

my local dealers do not stock this part and would love to know if someone would have 1 i could buy. or is this definatly the problem.

car will not hold idle properly at all.

hope someone can help.

thanks Terry.

Edited by weetel

hothatch

Hya mate I'm new to the forum to. U only have a air flow meter on yours its the big bulky unit just after your air filter , it is an old type of system now there is a flap in side which opens as the air draws in more air when you open the throttle. Cut a long story short as I'm babbling on a bit :P ! I would check ur throttle postiton sensor first though which is where your throttle cable attachs to , if u listen queitly with the engine off with your hand operating the throttle valve u shud hear a click as soon as u open it the tiniest bit and a click as u let it off. Also on the throttle body is an idle screw, I think its an allen key I cnt quite rember maybe u cud adjust it.

If not tho I wud try and source an air flow meter as they resistors DO wear out on them.

Dnt forget always check ur plugs , leads, dizzy and cap, and for any air leaks into the inlet manifold.

Hope this can help u bud ! Ben

weetel

thanks ben i will try this today and let you know the outcome.

many thanks Terry

hothatch

No probs bud if u get stuck gives a shout

weetel
No probs bud if u get stuck gives a shout

hi ben just after readng again.

do you know where i couldd source an air flow meter if neccissary?

thanks Terry.

i have tried peugeot at a cost of £500 + vat.

would love to source 1 a bit cheaper if i need it.

thanks Terrry

hothatch
hi ben just after readng again.

do you know where i couldd source an air flow meter if neccissary?

thanks Terry.

i have tried peugeot at a cost of £500 + vat.

would love to source 1 a bit cheaper if i need it.

thanks Terrry

No problem terry, to be honest with u I'm not entirely sure, try searching the internet on ebay and pugspares , if not there try finding some one who deals with them near your area. Sorry not the best of help with that :P

welshpug

ATP electronics will do you a remanufactured one, was £150 when I got one but that was 4+ years ago.

hothatch

there you go weetal! jackpot B)

weetel
there you go weetal! jackpot B)

hi and thanks for the replys

i have had the car in the garage for over 3 weeks now and all he seems to want to do is replace main parts rather than having a look elsewhere.

i am going to get the car tomorrow and will keep you up to date.

anything else i should do when i get it?

thanks

hothatch
hi and thanks for the replys

i have had the car in the garage for over 3 weeks now and all he seems to want to do is replace main parts rather than having a look elsewhere.

i am going to get the car tomorrow and will keep you up to date.

anything else i should do when i get it?

thanks

I would definatly check all your oil breather pipes and vaccum pipes or anything going into the inlet manifold as air leaks will give u very bad idols. Air flow meters on 205s are mechanical and the resistors wear awy, u can test them for resitance yourself with a multimeter ther are eaither 4 or 5 pins in the plug on it, ones earth . If u take the black cap off the top of it, ther will be a coil spring and a pointer which makes the conection, as you turn the pointer the resistance. Should increase 7 times. There might be a thread on here somewher. I learned this in college though.

Also check the little vacuum pipe going to your dizzy, this is an important part of your ignition timing and it won't run well at all if its leaking.

weetel
I would definatly check all your oil breather pipes and vaccum pipes or anything going into the inlet manifold as air leaks will give u very bad idols. Air flow meters on 205s are mechanical and the resistors wear awy, u can test them for resitance yourself with a multimeter ther are eaither 4 or 5 pins in the plug on it, ones earth . If u take the black cap off the top of it, ther will be a coil spring and a pointer which makes the conection, as you turn the pointer the resistance. Should increase 7 times. There might be a thread on here somewher. I learned this in college though.

Also check the little vacuum pipe going to your dizzy, this is an important part of your ignition timing and it won't run well at all if its leaking.

rite here go's hopefully someone will know better than my mechanic.

i told him that i needed to clean all pipes, inlet for idle etc and he reckons the air flow meter is problem.

any one know where to source 1 at a reasonable cost?

or possibly any other fix?

thanks for help.

busting to get pug on road.

Edited by weetel

richsmells

Hang around here for a while. Then post a wanted add. There's always an AFM for sale.

GG205rob

There are usually afm's on ebay very cheap. Also, check ignition timing as this can cause a very uneven idle

Jemehan

If you are stuck for them and know where you can find an old Ford Capri, they use the same air flow meter.

shalmaneser
If you are stuck for them and know where you can find an old Ford Capri, they use the same air flow meter.

calibration varies though i think.

These can normally be picked up on here for £20 or so, but it's worth re-tracking your existing one first to confirm it's f***ed!

see this topic...

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...%20AFM&st=0

or this page which is very useful indeed...

http://www.efinnegan.com/Porsche/MiscInfo/AFMRebuild.html

good luck.

pugpete1108

i got an afm from my 1.6 sat here, was working fine when i removed it a few years ago :)

Pete

Guest 20dizzle5 gti

as the pointer raises push down gently on it to help better connection i did it and it worked <_<