• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Joshy

Break Or Sale?

Joshy

Hey guys

I'm just trying to gather up some ideas for and against breaking my 205 XS.

There isn't actually anything wrong with the car. It still starts, runs and drives. It was in daily usage right until the day I bought my GTI, was flawlessly maintained by it's previous owner of 9 years and in general was a very, very nice car.

Problem is that the paint is faded a bit on random panels (making it appear two different shades of red!), there is a dent in one of the front wings and it needs a set of seats. Even though sourcing a set of seats sounds like an easy task, it hasn't really. I'm getting rather tempted to take off the valuable mods it has had fitted (4-2-1 manifold and euro rallye cam), taking random things like the PH2 rear lights, side repeaters to fit to my GTI and breaking the rest for parts...

How much am I likely to make from breaking a 205? I'm not expecting a lot,

Is it worth maybe even keeping a hold of some stuff for the GTI just in case something goes wrong (I stack it! :))?

Is it really worth breaking a perfectly good car when there isn't really any need to (other than I don't want to go through the hassle of putting it back together and selling it complete)?

Thoughts?

Anthony

Take the fancy bits off and sell it as a standard(ish) car - I doubt an XS would break particularly well, and they're getting pretty rare now so it would be a shame for it to be needlessly broken.

Edp

Agree with Anthony, don't break a good car just because it's paint is faded. I'd hazard a guess that an xs is worth about the same complete or in bits. :D

willo-1

same as above it would be a shame to brake a car becouse of paint fade

omega

i think your options are

1 decide how much you want for it and advertise it on here

2 advertise it in the free papers

3 but it on ebay [with a reserve]

4 if you brake it you have a lot of hassel with taking bits of .postage,hanging around for people to turn up and all the mess

and you still have to ge rid of whats left

Edited by omega

Lan

if your removing parts ill take the euro rallye cam, and the 4-2-1 manifold

johnnyboy666

how much do you want for it whole? does it have tax/test?

Joshy
how much do you want for it whole? does it have tax/test?

It does have tax and test (I think 6-7 months MOT and 4 months Tax).

Complete I'd be after about £600 if I managed to sort some seats out for it and did some tidying up.

I'm seriously thinking about going a different route with my cars now (selling them all!) so it would seem breaking is no longer really an option.

Lan

I'm willing to pay good money for those two bits if you split them, or at the least the manifold :)

Daviewonder
same as above it would be a shame to brake a car becouse of paint fade

If people did that all the Cherry reds would have gone long ago :)

Joshy

Hmm, what's good money? :)

I do have the old Manifold and downpipe, so I could be very tempted to sell the manifold. The Cam less so, unless I could source a replacement.

I do know that the manifold is the posh Italian one that has a brand name similar to marmite :D

Lan

pm me with a price for it :) if you can replace the cam ill take that too

Anthony
The Cam less so, unless I could source a replacement.

I've got a standard TU3S cam in the garage if needs be.

johnnyboy666

how much would you be looking for minus those parts then (and dont worry about tidying up the interior or anything, a bit of tattyness never hurt anyone)?

steble

if you leave those parst on i'd be interested in a deal involving my gti :) i miss my old xs so much

Joshy

Complete as it is with an interior fitted, I'd be looking for about £600 - £700.

Complete with the manifold and cam removed but standard parts fitted , and a set of seats sourced, maybe £400 - £500

As is, with the manifold and cam removed (standard manifold included though) and no seats. £350?

I think I'm going to be quitting the world of 205s and moving onto the world of Jap, so I'll take offers for a quick sale :o