• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Vz_ace

Momentally is 1.6 xu5j (jetronic) installed in the car (with damaged camshaft). i have an option to get an 1.9 engine, 128 ps.

Is the 1.6 loom compatible to 1.9, so i can keep it? i know-i must swap ECU and AFM with 1.9 ones. what else would i have to do?

thanks,

Vladimir

MerlinGTI

Injectors :unsure: Thinks thats about it with the stuff you listed.

DrSarty
Injectors :unsure: Thinks thats about it with the stuff you listed.

Agreed. You may need to relocate the coil or even change it to a different type to suit a connector or two and the HT leads.

Also, I'd recommend keeping the 1.6 flywheel and gearbox.

pug_ham
Agreed. You may need to relocate the coil or even change it to a different type to suit a connector or two and the HT leads.

Why?

You can simply leave the car as it is & make the engine suit that rather than making the car suit the engine!

Its not worth the wiring trouble for the sake of a custom or alternative HT lead

Graham.

Vz_ace

but, what would happen if i'd fit everything from 1.6 to 1.9 block (ecu,afm,injectors,thbetc...)? would that be ok or not?

Edited by Vz_ace

DrSarty
but, what would happen if i'd fit everything from 1.6 to 1.9 block (ecu,afm,injectors,thbetc...)? would that be ok or not?

That doesn't make any sense.

A 1.6 has a different ECU and AFM, so you have to swap those.

As Graham said, just lift the 1.6 out and put the 1.9 in. The blocks are the same, but the rods (and pistons IIRC) are different.

My comment about the coil was not meant to mean it was difficult, just that some engines had the coil on the inlet manifold and others a cylinder type on the inner wing. I was just letting you know there may be some minor changes (like maybe an HT lead - nothing drastic).

Other than that it's just swap the 2 over, with different ECU and AFM, which could mean you only need to change one thing...the ECU.

Everything else is near as damn it plug and play.

Vz_ace
That doesn't make any sense.

A 1.6 has a different ECU and AFM, so you have to swap those.

As Graham said, just lift the 1.6 out and put the 1.9 in. The blocks are the same, but the rods (and pistons IIRC) are different.

My comment about the coil was not meant to mean it was difficult, just that some engines had the coil on the inlet manifold and others a cylinder type on the inner wing. I was just letting you know there may be some minor changes (like maybe an HT lead - nothing drastic).

Other than that it's just swap the 2 over, with different ECU and AFM, which could mean you only need to change one thing...the ECU.

Everything else is near as damn it plug and play.

But it would make any sense, and i'm not asking that. i'm just askig if it would work in a mean time (as good as original or better), just in case, until I find a 1.9 ecu and afm. so again: Would work (with no problems) 1.6 loom (ecu, afm) with 1.9 engine?

so, you tell me, that 1.9 afm and 1.9 ecu swap with 1.6 ones on original 1.6 wiring loom is like a plug 'n play stuff?

DrSarty
so, you tell me, that 1.9 afm and 1.9 ecu swap with 1.6 ones on original 1.6 wiring loom is like a plug 'n play stuff?

Yes.

jackherer

If you put EVERYTHING from the 1.6 onto the 1.9 it would actually run acceptably. But if you have ALL the 1.9 stuff then you should use that.

Problems occur when you mix the 1.6 and 1.9 parts such as ECU, AFM and injectors.

The loom is universal, just plug the appropriate things into it.

Vz_ace

that is what i want to hear!:D

thanks, guys.

Vladimir

dcc

I had a 1.6 ecu which was delimited on my old 8v, which was a 1.9 with 1.9 injectors and afm. after 5 minutes the engine started to misfire due to the "superchip" or more well known "over-fuel chip" and subsiquently the headgasket started to blow.

Vz_ace
I had a 1.6 ecu which was delimited on my old 8v, which was a 1.9 with 1.9 injectors and afm. after 5 minutes the engine started to misfire due to the "superchip" or more well known "over-fuel chip" and subsiquently the headgasket started to blow.

so, the 1.9 engine is in. now i have problems with the loom. i think, that 1.9 one is not completely the same as 1.6 one.

can i anywhere find anything, how to correctly connect all wires and conectors? now i'm confused. Should i keep old loom or install 1.9 one, that came with a new engine?

i noticed, that one thing is missing on the exhaust manifold of the 1.9 engine,i've got:

what is this? i've got this on 1.6 e.manifold, but i cant see tha 1.9 has got it? is it necessary? do some models didn't have it?

thanks for the answers.

Vladimir

post-11903-1270977220_thumb.jpg

Baz

Looks like an exhaust gas recirculation device or something, remove it!

The looms should be the same if the engine and car are from a similar year, the only differences occur across different year/phases. What year is the car, and what did the engine come from?

steve@cornwall
Looks like an exhaust gas recirculation device or something, remove it!

The looms should be the same if the engine and car are from a similar year, the only differences occur across different year/phases. What year is the car, and what did the engine come from?

I'd transfer the exhaust manifolds and use your 1.6 with the strange thing on it on your new 1.9 engine - I'm not sure of the emission laws in your country, so would play safe!

DamirGTI

.. suppose it'll be "pulse air" system , which was fitted on German market cars only :D mostly 1.6's ...

anyway , id remove it , no need for this stuff in this part of the world either :)

Damir B)

Vz_ace
.. suppose it'll be "pulse air" system , which was fitted on German market cars only :) mostly 1.6's ...

anyway , id remove it , no need for this stuff in this part of the world either :)

Damir B)

...and then I simply clog the connector on the filter housing (there originally comes a hose from "pulse air s." to filter h)?

another question:

i decided now to keep the old loom. i forgot to tell you, that new engine has Ign.C on the intake manifold, previous had it on the inner wing. the difference in looms is aslo in that famous brown multipin-connector. my old loom doesnt have it (separated looms). is that possible or there were made (i dont know?) any modifications once?

another question:

what is and where goes 2-pin connector (one slot is free) from the loom, which is in grey colour and contains only one brown littlebit thicker wire? it is located in the end of the loom... i'll post picture in the evening if needed, but now i'm at work;)

and one more question:

with the "new" 1.9 engine together there came AFM Bosch p.nr xxxxxxx109;

and ECU: xxxxxxx359 (Bosch LE Jetronics) all this aims to B6D block. but i noticed, that there is written DKZ on the block plate. shouldn't it be B6D? can i expect any problems?

thank you experts;),

Vlado

Vz_ace
...and then I simply clog the connector on the filter housing (there originally comes a hose from "pulse air s." to filter h)?

another question:

i decided now to keep the old loom. i forgot to tell you, that new engine has Ign.C on the intake manifold, previous had it on the inner wing. the difference in looms is aslo in that famous brown multipin-connector. my old loom doesnt have it (separated looms). is that possible or there were made (i dont know?) any modifications once?

another question:

what is and where goes 2-pin connector (one slot is free) from the loom, which is in grey colour and contains only one brown littlebit thicker wire? it is located in the end of the loom... i'll post picture in the evening if needed, but now i'm at work;)

and one more question:

with the "new" 1.9 engine together there came AFM Bosch p.nr xxxxxxx109;

and ECU: xxxxxxx359 (Bosch LE Jetronics) all this aims to B6D block. but i noticed, that there is written DKZ on the block plate. shouldn't it be B6D? can i expect any problems?

thank you experts;),

Vlado

this is it.where should it come? thanks guys.

post-11903-1271085576_thumb.jpg

Vz_ace
this is it.where should it come? thanks guys.

i've searched the forum and i think i found where that connector comes. in the shunt box. am i right? but there is another problem. there is no fuse on the box, where that connector fits. is it maybe free?

can somebody tell me the fuse sequence in that shunt box. (there are 2 fuses in and 2 metal pieces.) what are these metal pieces for? are they maybe intended for bridging? (my car is non-cat & non abs)

many thanks,

Vlado

Sign in to follow this