• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
treesimon

306 Xsi Head Gasket

treesimon

Just after any pointers from anyone thats done a head gasket on the titled 306 xsi.

My mate head gaskets has gone and asked for a hand doing it.

Ive previously done my 205 gti head gaskets with out problems, just would like to know if the 306 is harder? easier or any thing to watch out for?

welshpug

if its 8 valve then its identical in most ways to your 205 and very easy to do.

if its 16 valve, then its identical in nearly every way to a gti6, a few VERY important points to make note of.

1, pin the cams first then check the bottom pulley lines up, if it doesn't you should remove and discard it as the outer section has moved, Miles does some nice alloy pulleys for less than a replacement from Peugeot.

2, once the bottom end is pinned as well as the top you can fire away and remove the head, when you lift the head off lift it straight up so you dont catch the valves, place the head down on its side, NOT face down as you'll bend the valves.

3, DO NOT rotate the camshafts independently of each other, due to the size of the valves they will hit each other and bend.

4, get the head checked over, but make sure that it doesn't get skimmed any more than 0.25mm, and use a thicker gasket for the rebuild.

good luck!

Miles

the only other points that if it is a 8v the Cam cover is a pain to remove but the belt is a doddle as you don;t have a engine mount in the way

carbers205

On my 8v I flipped the brake m/c out the way to get the cam cover off, other way is to take off the top engine mount to rock it out the way but I preferred the m/c route as its just held by 2x 13mm bolts.

Other than that, as above its just the same as the 205

treesimon

It doesn't sound bad at all!

Cheers for the replies!

treesimon

Can anyone tell me i its a 8v or 16v engine from the vin no 7ARFV?

welshpug

errrr, have you not looked under the bonnet yet? or ask your mate :)

RFV is a 16 valve one though.

treesimon
errrr, have you not looked under the bonnet yet? or ask your mate :)

RFV is a 16 valve one though.

No i have not looked yet and when i asked him he didnt know. So i got him to look on his V5 to get the vin.

welshpug

he didn't know what his own car was? :)

treesimon
he didn't know what his own car was? :)

Hes hasnt got much knowledge on cars. i first asked what it was 16 or 8v. He didnt know, so i got his vin number off him, to find out.

can i get a thicker headgasket from pug when he gets it skimmed? also to lock the pulleys is it 10mm dowels like the xu9ja?

welshpug

naah its smaller 6mm ones for the cams and 8mm for the crank pulley, yes Peugeot do a thicker gasket but they are expensive, also depends how much needs to be taken off the head.

treesimon
naah its smaller 6mm ones for the cams and 8mm for the crank pulley, yes Peugeot do a thicker gasket but they are expensive, also depends how much needs to be taken off the head.

Ok thats useful to know.

Do you know the size of an untouched head and how it can be measured?

Is it critical to get the right thickness? I take it the valve-piston clearances are small.

Sign in to follow this