• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
2-Pugs

Tracking & Dunlop Gauge Help

2-Pugs

OK I have been having a good read of the pinned thread up there ^^^ about setting tracking and have also done a few searches and read up on various past threads relating to doing the tracking. It mostly makes sense and I'm pretty keen to try this out for myself, but I just have a couple of questions, which are slightly dumb, so sorry about that, but I could do with some reassurance that I am doing this right!

So I have centred the rack as per the guidlines mentioned by, I think, Tom Fenton's or jackherer. I took each track rod end off the hub, so that the rack was free to move, then turned the steering wheel all the way left and all the way right, and then took the steering wheel off and repositioned it so that it now turns exactly the same amount left and right, and it stops in the same corresponding position in both directions.

So am I right to think that now when the steering wheel is dead straight, the rack is central, and I should not adjust the steering wheel at all any more?

Next I have screwed each tie rod in an equal amount. When it comes to adjusting the tracking, I adjust each one an equal amount until the desired toe is reached, whatever that may be, and that, presumably, is that. When I drive the car, the steering wheel must presumably be straight therefore, but what if it is not?

Next question is I have just bought a Dunlop AG0/40 tracking gauge which gets mentioned and well rated by people on this forum and elsewhere. Problem is, I don't have any instructions. Would someone be kind enough to explain how I use it, and calibrate it, etc? Or scan their instuctions?

I was going to play around with different toe settings once I get the hang of it but given that this is a not a track car nor even a particularly fast road car (I am just looking for a nice accurate steering 'feel' and no wandering or pulling), I was going to go for 1mm toe in. What do people think about that?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Tom Fenton

I have my dads set of these gauges.

First off set one gauge so the arms sit on your wheel rim. Then set the other gauge the same as this.

Then place the arms so the tips touch on both sets of gauges, then look through the periscope. Move the sliding baseplate till the line on the scope lines up with the centre of the black arrow. Then look down on the lens where the gauge is, line up both markers, and read off. You should get zero, if not yu need to adjust so you do get zero. As the gauges should at the moment be parallel.

When this is done, place each gauge on the wheel. Look down the scope. Move the sliding plate so the line and arrow line up. Read your tracking result off the scale.

2-Pugs

Thanks Tom. Will give it a try this weekend :lol:

philfingers

Instructions scanned and placed here

AGO40Instructions001.jpg

AGO40Instructions.jpg

Phil