• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
KRISKARRERA

Oil In Spark Plug Holes - Mi16

KRISKARRERA

Last night I had a look under the bonnet on the Mi16 and noticed arcing from the ht leads in several places. The leads are fairly new, albeit pattern parts. (Does anywhere still sell the bougicord leads these days anyway?)

Today I took the leads off, gave them a wipe over, and then proceeded to take the spark plugs out and discovered they were all drenched in oil, just the threads, not the electrodes. I then did a compression test and that was ok, all around 200 psi.

I take it I need to replace some seals between the cam cover and head? Is that an easy job? I've never had the cam cover off.

welshpug

pretty easy yes, just need to take heed of the tightening torques and sequence, as per Haynes :D

KRISKARRERA

Ah ok. What about the seals? Am I right in saying there's 4 "O" ring seals that need doing or is there more than that?

C_W

It's quite easy but be prepared to catch the excess oil that sits at the back which the exhaust cam bathes in, sometimes above the gasket line. The main cam cover gasket can probably be reused with a bit of silicone gasket.

I'm not sure if you can get those seal separately (probably from Peugeot maybe) as they'd be def part of a headset which you obviously don't need, but there's 4 rubber seals around each spark plug hole.

Or you could simply try tightening down the centre 3 bolts in case they're loose! and nip the rest of the cam cover bolts up to match.

Baz

Might be worth doing the 3 small oil seals that are for the centre bolt holes too while you're there.

Miles

Knowing your a skinflint just buy a tub of RTV and use that on the old seals :lol:

Tom Fenton

Just be careful when tightening the cam cover bolts down, they can be sheared quite easily.

KRISKARRERA

Might as well have it off and do it properly. Least that way I can take a high res pic of my cam lobes and have you lot tell me if they're worn.

AndyJ
I'm not sure if you can get those seal separately (probably from Peugeot maybe) as they'd be def part of a headset which you obviously don't need, but there's 4 rubber seals around each spark plug hole.

When I did this, I got all the seals mentioned in a kit (not a full head-set) for not a lot from my local Camberely Auto Factors, so theyre easy enough to get hold of

Baz

Part number for the spark plug bore ones is 0213.06

:huh:

welshpug

also NFP :huh:

welshpug

doesn't mean they haven't got any though!

screwloose

I ordered some of the spark plug bore seals today from peugeot and the 3 small oil seals that are for the centre bolt holes.

What does NFP stand for?

welshpug

No Further Production.

matthewm

Bugger, bought a Payen head set last week, comes with the grey rocker cover gasket but didn't come with the seals for the spark plugs - contacted supplier and apparently Payen dont include them with the kit!!???

On a seperate note I had 5 small o-rings which I assume are for the oil rail across the cam caps - however I'd need 12. Anyone else had this?

Baz

Well Jonny's ordered them and paid for them earlier, so they can't be NLA.

Mind you, iirc it says an Mi16 dipstick is also NFP... :P

welshpug

naah, doesn't say the 1.9 dipstick is NFP, though the dipstick tube is :P

Mind you, I have managed to order parts that are NFP/NLA as it doesn't say so on the stock files, only on the parts file AFAIK, needless to say they never arrived...

Edited by welshpug

mr_exe
What does NFP stand for?

According to mate who is a partsman, Not a F@@king prayer :wacko:

matthewm

Ordered 4 from my dealer yesterday, £6.40 odd with the VAT, said they'd be in by wednesday.

That was after I managed to get the prick to look on the system after he did his horrified face and nervous 'chassis number, chassis number, chassis number - cant do anything without a chassis number' dance.

Baz

Just to update this, they never arrived and we were refunded for the order.

Jonny then nicked my last set and now i really need another set...

KRISKARRERA

Have you got a part number for that site pleases?

Sign in to follow this