• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fuji

1.9 Sump Bolts

fuji

Hi,

can anyone help with the following:

I am refitting the sump to my 1.9 GTI but can't find a reference to where the various size/type sump bolts should go. Can anyone provide a diagram or photo?

Does anyone know what size the two screws that hold the spacer plate to the block are only they were missing when disassembled.

Cheers.

Bottrill

Most logical way is to refit the longer bolts first. If it wont screw all the way in, remove then fit the shorter one. IIRC the short bolts screw into the crank seal/gearbox end of the block. The four allen key bolts go around the corner on the Cambelt end. Make sure you use a scraper, removing all the old gasket from both the sump and the block before re-fitting the new one.

Lee.

fuji
Most logical way is to refit the longer bolts first. If it wont screw all the way in, remove then fit the shorter one. IIRC the short bolts screw into the crank seal/gearbox end of the block. The four allen key bolts go around the corner on the Cambelt end. Make sure you use a scraper, removing all the old gasket from both the sump and the block before re-fitting the new one.

Lee.

Thanks Lee - that makes sense, with regard to the allen key bolts, do they go arround the corner nearest the radiator (front) or back of the sump. Can I use a paper gasket to seal the spacer plate to block or is RTV best? :lol:

pug_ham

RTV is the best thing to use for the spacer / stiffener plate, that's what the factory used.

The shorter bolts go into the sides of the block, especially in the middle two bolts either side where they are into the crankshaft seal carrier because if you use ones to long & opuncture through the edge the seal will leak.

The allen head bolts go at the front nearer the rad.

Most of the bolts fit through open backed holes so there are only a few you have to be careful with.

Graham.

fuji
RTV is the best thing to use for the spacer / stiffener plate, that's what the factory used.

The shorter bolts go into the sides of the block, especially in the middle two bolts either side where they are into the crankshaft seal carrier because if you use ones to long & opuncture through the edge the seal will leak.

The allen head bolts go at the front nearer the rad.

Most of the bolts fit through open backed holes so there are only a few you have to be careful with.

Graham.

Thanks Graham - sounds starightforward - do you know what size the screws that hold the spacer plate to the block are (the two were missing when i removed). Is it important they go back in?

Sign in to follow this