• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bluesleeper

Supercharger's Whats The Differece?

bluesleeper

guy's,

been offered a early model mini cooper supercharger as new, i've seen pics and it has black rotors so i thought that was the last gen one so just wondered if anyone could explain the difference between the different models?

Cheers for the replies guys

Gareth.

iamjackiechan

hi

There are two different superchargers that come on the minis the standard one being the eaton m45 and coming on the cooper s, and the second being the same charger but with teflon coated blades and comes on the s works.

correct me if im wrong though.

will

welshpug

when did they change to turbo's?

Ren

2006 according to Wikipedia but I though it was late 2007.

allanallen
hi

There are two different superchargers that come on the minis the standard one being the eaton m45 and coming on the cooper s, and the second being the same charger but with teflon coated blades and comes on the s works.

correct me if im wrong though.

will

I don't think that is quite right. Sometime during production of cooper s's they changed to the teflon coated blades on normal s models. The cooper s works upgrade was a standard charger (possibly all teflon coated) with a smaller pulley. As far as I know the only reason they changed the whole charger was to stop the bmw spanner monkeys f***ing the charger up when swapping the pulleys.

shalmaneser
I don't think that is quite right. Sometime during production of cooper s's they changed to the teflon coated blades on normal s models. The cooper s works upgrade was a standard charger (possibly all teflon coated) with a smaller pulley. As far as I know the only reason they changed the whole charger was to stop the bmw spanner monkeys f***ing the charger up when swapping the pulleys.

They changed production halfway through the run - the Teflon coated chargers were the black ones and as new have a slightly rough finish to the scrolls as the idea was that at the charger was used the contact between the scrolls themselves would flatten the Teflon material allowing for varying production tolerances and ensuring a better seal.

Don't know if there was a measurable power differential though, although clearly the Teflon ones are the ones to have.

What are you going to supercharge? 8V or 16V?

Some guy on e30 zone has had some very good results supercharging a 318is with a mini 'charger. There's an excellent thread on it I'll see if i can dig it up.

I'd love a supercharged low comp 1.6.

bluesleeper

I'm gonna get it as it has the teflon rotors and is brand spanking new, to answer your question I'm gonna blow an mi16 motor and hopefully emulate allenallen's success! :huh:

thanks for your replies guys much appreciated. ^_^