• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Silky

8v Wiring Help - Essex

Silky

Recently changed engines over, the engine in there now has a slightly different loom which I am having problems with.

I've wired in as much as possible, tho still have some spare connectors and not sure where they go.

Ideally I'd like someone local with a P2 to pop over and give me a hand with the loom, even if it's just copying what you have so I can see if I'm missing anything

If you think you can help and don't mind popping to mine then please let me know

I just want to compare loom connections, where it runs, connects etc.

Anyone in the Essex/Kent/Herts area who could help would be fantastic

If I can't get it fixed then I'd be tempted to sell the lot, it's only a silly problem, probably something not plugged in.

If I sold it it'd go with coilovers/cage/buckets/harnesses etc etc etc

Tax'd and Mot'd and cheap

j_turnell

whats actually the problem with it mate?

Silky

I put another 8v engine as previous one had a dodgy loom.

This one is all good, but I don't know how to connect it up, it's all in and is probably something really silly like a wrongly connected part of the loom. I just need something to copy but I'm going to the ring in 2 months and if I can't get something to check it against then I'll look to sell it and buy something for the trip

Anthony

To be honest, the looms are very straight forward and you shouldn't really need another car to copy

The plugs and wires are obviously fairly close to where they need to plug into, and some of it is colour coded

4 x black 2 pin plugs = injectors

Blue 2 pin plug = ECU temp sensor

White 2 pin plug = reverse switch

Black 2 pin plug near the above two = SAD

Black 3 pin plug with normal wire = TPS

3 pin plug with shielded wire = dizzy pickup

Black 5 pin plug = AFM

Black 8 plin plug = ignition amp

2 x Green wires with ring terminals = earths

Brown 4 pin odd-shaped plug = coil

Thick brown wire = +12v feed from shuntbox

Spade with brown wire (7A) = alternator exciter

Spade with blue wire (46) = starter solenoid

That should get you started.

floodys

sell the car silks!! your to hasty!!! calm down man, its only a GTi!!! lol, i'll see if i can pop over this weeknd and do it for you!! floods to the rescue again.....

Silky

Brilliant, cheers Anthony.

To be honest most of that one is done, i'm

also struggling with the engine to fuseboard loom

Silky

I've got a square 3 pin plug up behind the battery next to the ignition amp....what's that for ? It's only on a short piece of wire so can't go far

Anthony
I've got a square 3 pin plug up behind the battery next to the ignition amp....what's that for ? It's only on a short piece of wire so can't go far

If it's on the engine loom, that's probably the one that connects to the dizzy pickup - with that unplugged, you'll have no spark or injection. Should be a shielded wire, so feel a thicker/stiffer than the others.

Silky

It's on the loom which comes through from the fuseboard

Baz

Pop over and have a look at one of mine if you like mate, take pics etc! I'm only have one that doesn't have injection on the road at the mo so not much use!

kate205gti

i'm aiming to have mine running for combe 24th april - i'll bring it over as soon as its running if you havent sorted it before then :huh: its not a p2 but cant be that much different

Silky

I may have to do that mate, if Ian can get over and run an eye over it I may be lucky, but then again you may see me at yours with a camera

Anthony
It's on the loom which comes through from the fuseboard

Errrmmm... there's the plug for the level sensor at the bottom of the expansion tank that's 3 pin, and there's a white connector (which I thought was 2 pin) that's to the right of the expansion tank that's is where the ABS connects to the main car loom if fitted. Those are the only two that immediately spring to mind.

Silky

Thanks Kate, much appreciated. You should have your bits from me by tomorrow, they're in two seperate envelopes

Silky

If anyone is available this weekend then please let me know, any help appreciated.

I go to the ring in about 8 weeks and 4 of them I am either away on holidays or have weddings etc, so I have little time to get it finished let alone get the cage/buckets etc welded in and do the rest

Silky

If anyone wants to have a go at fixing the loom issue then £50 to whoever can

M@tt

get some pics up of the connectors your stuck on i'm sure between us we can sort it.

Have you checked for any wire numbers on the wires near the connectors. Give the wires abit of a rub with a rag and some wd40 to remove any dirt or oil and see what you can find.

Silky

I'll try and get some pics up though likely to be the weekend as it's too dark of an evening to take any decent ones.

The problem I have is that I may have put some the wrong way round therefore causing an issue

M@tt

How about remove the loom take a picture of the loom all laid out on the floor and edit the pic in paint or somethign and add a number to each of the connectors. We can then tell you what each connector goes to

Silky

It's the fuseboard to engine loom I am working on

I've got all the headlight bits etc in, it's just a couple of others, plus I reckon the starter may be wired incorrectly.

I had to change the starter that was on the engine as some of the wiring was different, thought I had it correct but maybe not

Grim.Badger

The easiest thing is to just go around the engine bay checking that every component is connected up properly; as we all now there are a fair few spare connections in the GTi loom anyway.

Alternatively, you could post up pictures or descriptions of each loose connection ;)

Silky

Hoping the weekend is going to be dry so I can get out there and have a look.

I will get pics/descriptions of the spare connectors fuseboard side

However, could someone describe/tell me how the starter and alternator should be wired up as I might have that wrong

Anthony
However, could someone describe/tell me how the starter and alternator should be wired up as I might have that wrong

I already told you that further up the page. What's the point in asking for help and not actually reading what people say when they take the time to try and help you? :D

Indeed, why on earth have you got three threads running all on the same thing, and why have you put the same reply in all three?

Silky

Yep you're right Ant

I have actually printed off those little notes you made above to give it a go and check at the weekend, so thanks for those

What with going to work and returning home in the dark and not able to do anything its very frustrating, I just want it to run !!

Edited by Silky

floodys

Dont worry everyone!! i'm going round to claim my £50 and sort this little problem for mr siks at the weekend!!

Sign in to follow this