• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Pitted Paint

andyjstone

Picked up a really nice Cherry Red auto bonnet today from some guy off eGay. When I picked it up the paint was very dull, so it has obviously not seen anything close to polish for many years.

After hours of hard graft with T Cut and polish it has come up great, not a mark on it and the underneath looks like new. Only problem is that the paint surface is pitted, is there anything I can do to try and get rid of this such as really fine wet and dry or will this just take the paint off?

MerlinGTI

Post a pic dude :D

You can hit it with ~2000grit wet and dry, then machine polish it with a propper mop and various compounds. You do run the risk of burning through the paint or creating laquer faliure (if present).

If you was closer I would of happly done it for you, but alas..

andyjstone

OK, thanks, thought you might like a before and after picture first:

b4afterbonnet.jpg

And this is the spots:

bonnetspots.jpg

Paul_13

Sure that hasn't had a bodge respray?

Hard to tell from pics

MerlinGTI

That does look like a bodged respray, possibly the primer has popped due to moisture, but as Paul 13 said its hard to tell from the pic.

Well if you are ever up the M2 region of kent I will flat and machine polish it for you FOC which will vastly improve, but it does look like a respray jobbie if perfection is the goal unfortuantly.

EDIT: looks 20x better with the auto bonnet :P ABFTW! :D

Edited by MerlinGTI

andyjstone

I have to admit that with the two pics side by side the autp bonnet does look much better.

I'll have a go flatting it myself - I was thinking of getting the car resprayed at some point anyway as it has a few little dents gathered over it's 20 year life!

Paul_13

Does look alot better though Andy.

My dad picked up a cherry red bonnet for his Diesel Inca and it had the same bumps/pits on it as yours, he resprayed it and came up fine.