• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

[non_car] Mountain Cycle Moho Rebirth

cybernck

1997 Mountain Cycle MOHO STS - a story of giving this fascinating MTB a new lease of life!

I'll start off from the beginning. I've been riding bicycles from very early age. Then, for my

10th birthday (in 1992) I got my first 26" wheeled 18-speed MTB. It had a steel frame, rigid fork,

basic non-SIS shifters and wheels that used to bend easily, but I've been happy with it until I got

a GT Timberline FS in early 1998. With its CrMo frame, RapidFire shifters, a mixture of 21-speed

Shimano STX-RC and LX components, basic RockShock suspension fork and strong alloy wheels,

it was a revelation and I started enjoying cycling much more from then on :huh:.

mcmoho_001.thumb.jpg

(Un)fortunately, I didn't get to enjoy it for too long, because in the beginning of 1999 I bought this

utterly fascinating Mountain Cycle MOHO STS. I often refer to it as "the best thing I've ever bought

in my life" - and I'm sure it will stay that way for quite a while. And not only did it look like nothing

I've seen before, but the ride feel was really special (now that pic brings some nice memories!).

mcmoho_002.thumb.jpg

It featured a beautiful hand-made 6061-T6 alloy frame with a patented "Softail Traction System"

rear fork, Chris King A-head headset, 24-speed Shimano XT groupset (with an exception of XTR

front derailleur), RockShox Judy XC fork and a very strong Bontrager wheelset with IRC Mythos XC

tyres - all the proper stuff back in the day, plus some very rare bits such as Modolo Pilot stem and

handlebar, Selcof CNC seatpost and Gipiemme Pluma Titanium saddle.

mcmoho_005.thumb.jpg

I simply loved riding it and even done some MTB/Cyclocross races on it but have then discovered

road cycling, got into racing etc, so the MOHO became a "secondary bike". That's until I stopped road

racing and dismantled my road bike to build a new one and equipped the MOHO with slick tyres and

started using it more again, mostly on the road though.

It took me a while to gather all the parts for my new road bike - Kovjanic Custom (click here),

but then the MOHO had again "taken the back seat". Although it was still in pretty good shape,

the age has taken its toll and my next mission was to completely restore it to its former glory.

While dreaming about it and slowly gathering parts, in 2007 I came across a Spinergy carbon

wheelset for sale locally, something I've been after for my road bike as it happens. I couldn't

miss such an opportunity, so I've had to buy them:

mcmoho_010.thumb.jpg

Nothing has changed much over the next couple of years, as I got back into active road cycling.

I've only been using the bike for short rides in the city and surrounding hills. Also, I managed to

get a Spinergy wheelset in 28" road bike form too - here they are both together:

mcmoho_012.thumb.jpg

By now, the bike had developed yet more creeks, squeels and groans and I've been daydreaming

about rebuilding it, as it really deserved it! Since it hasn't seen too much use in its life, perhaps

thorough dismantling, cleaning and regreasing would have been enough to bring it back to its

former glory, but I decided to go a step further...

Read more about it in the following updates! ;)

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho

GeorgeXS

damn that is old school, i like it though.

Lovely wheelset too!

Baz

Wow!! Blast from the past! The shop i used to work at was a Mountain Cycle dealer, we had a couple of the mega full-sus frames for a while, they were silly money, we sold one eventually, but i don't think the other ever went! Good to see one again! :)

MrG

how do you find the spynergy's?

Nearly bought a set a few years ago but the pictures I saw of broken wheel sets and the damage done to the face as it hit the ground sort of put me off!

cybernck

Well, in short - I like them very much (touch wood) :).

cybernck

Before I could actually start the rebuild, I've had to make some critical decisions. The first thing

was the type of rebuild I'm going to carry out. I really wanted to do a proper restoration to original

condition, however, I wouldn't be sattisfied with anything less than a brand new bike as a result.

Since it seemed that it would be nigh on impossible to find each and every original component as

brand new old stock, I decided that this will be a "hot rod" type of restoration instead - combining

old with new, to create a retro product with modern appearance and improved performance.

With that in mind, the next thing to decide was whether to go for discs or not. Since going for discs

meant changing the wheels, buying a new fork and making a custom caliper mount for the frame

and since I didn't indend to ride this bike in snow and mud - I decided to stay with the V-brakes.

Then I started thinking about the suspension fork. Firstly, I like my fork and secondly, none of the

better new forks have V-brake mounts. So I decided to stay with my Judy XC. I was thinking of

creating custom graphics to make it more look up to date, but decided I'll stick with retro looks.

The same goes for stickers on the frame - they've had to stay exactly as they are.

Speaking of the frame, my intention was to keep it looking polished, though I couldn't find anyone

who could confirm that it will be possible to do that, due to any eventual protective surface coating.

A small test shown that it might be possible to do it, but still I've had a few colour choices in the back

of my mind, as a backup solution, should polishing fail.

Finally - I've done a mockup of the completed bike in Photoshop, ordered the remaining few bits

and then the restoration, rebuild or more appropriately - rebirth - could commence!

14/Jul/2009 - Day 1 of the Rebirth

Naturally, I had done a few "before" photos (mmm... retrotastic!):

mcmoho_013.thumb.jpg

And then took it to my bike builder, who quickly disassembled it and then we assesed the situation:

mcmoho_017.thumb.jpg

It was a scary moment - I was without a MTB for the first time in 17 years and there was no going back!

mcmoho_018.thumb.jpg

The fork was also disassembled. Since it runs a sealed cartridge insert (that appeared to be fine,

due to not seeing too much use), all we needed to do about it is clean and regrease the internals:

mcmoho_020.thumb.jpg

Day 1 complete - the story continues with the following update! :lol:

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho and http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=2

cybernck

16/Jul/2009 - Day 2 of the Rebirth

The 2nd day was reserved for renewing the frame, wheels and fork, starting with stripping the decals:

mcmoho_022.thumb.jpg

I left the MC headtube sticker and the "hand built" one on the seat tube, to retain some originality.

Spinergy decals have also been removed, bar the "Rev X" logo:

mcmoho_025.thumb.jpg

Also, I removed the flywheel and one of the bearings to go hunt for new replacements.

Next up was getting the frame thoroughly polished to remove any oxydation, scratches etc.

mcmoho_026.thumb.jpg

We had to use the alloy polishing paste to get rid of the nastiest bits and then fine polishing

paste to get a mirror finish. The result was a very shiny and sexy looking frame:

mcmoho_027.thumb.jpg

We'll see if the finish will be as long lasting as it was from the factory.

Then I picked up a complete decal set I designed based on the original decals (for the frame)

and updated look decals for the wheels. I stress that these stickers have been unavailable

for many years now, otherwise I would have got original manufacturer ones:

mcmoho_028.thumb.jpg

I got all the decals profesionally applied and the final result was a brand new looking frame!

mcmoho_030.thumb.jpg

The same could be said for the wheels.

And finally, we assembled the fork, polished the legs and the crown and touched up the stickers:

mcmoho_032.thumb.jpg

Started this day's work in the morning and finished it late in the night, but got everything ready

for the final build! So far, so good!

Day 2 complete - the build commences in the following update! ;)

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=2

cybernck

17/Jul/2009 - Day 3 of the Rebirth

A preview of things to come :). Here's the collection of parts I've gathered over the last few years:

mcmoho_033.thumb.jpg

On the way to my bike builder, I got the main bits weighed at a nearby grocery store B).

The frame weighs 1770g, the fork is 1210g and the wheels are ~940g each.

Having done so much planning and work, I genuinely felt as if I had built the frame :huh:.

mcmoho_034.thumb.jpg

Then we started building it up. The plan was first to build a frameset and then (re)build the wheels.

With RockShox Judy XC fork and Modolo Pilot stem fitted, the next in line was Mike Burrows (Giant)

carbon fibre aero road seatpost - the choice that probably won't be approved by MTB-ers, but it will

look great on the bike and aero seatposts are my "signature". USE 31.8 > 27.2 thermoplastic seatpost

shim does its job properly.

mcmoho_037.thumb.jpg

Frameset built up and looking great - the bike is starting to take shape!

mcmoho_039.thumb.jpg

Then we started the work on the Spinergy wheels. The front wheel was fitted with brand new bearings and

an innocent new hub killed in order to donate the freewheel, axle, cone and ball bearings for the rear wheel.

mcmoho_043.thumb.jpg

The cassette is a 11-32 tooth Shimano XT cassette. I would have got 12-28, if there was such an option.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 directional tyres - one of the best XC tyres money can buy.

mcmoho_047.thumb.jpg

Wheels (re)built, running super smooth and looking as new!

mcmoho_048.thumb.jpg

Day 3 is half-way through now and continues in the next update!

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=3

cybernck

Day 3 of the Rebirth finally continues...

I initially planned to get a chainset with carbon cranks, but opted for full compatibility and ease of

maintenance in the end, so in the end I bought Shimano XT M770 chainset. Upon (a difficult) removal

of the bottom bracket, it seemed that the start of the thread was damaged!

mcmoho_051.thumb.jpg

Luckily, it only turned out to be residue of the bottom bracket cups. Guys in a Shimano shop kindly

cleaned it out. It took a best part of two hours though!

Shimano XTR M971 (top-normal) rear derailleur, XT M771 front derailleur and XT M770 V-brakes.

mcmoho_052.thumb.jpg

Shimano XT M770 STI levers - much better than the previous model. Unexpectedly, I got used to

them within a few hours and would never switch back to RapidFire.

mcmoho_054.thumb.jpg

Gipiemme Pluma Titanio Evolution saddle - by some very strange strike of luck, I've managed to find

a brand new item, a few years ago! The choice of grips is ODI Yeti Hard Core (not as comfortable as

the ProGrip's I used to have, but still nice) and for the bar ends PowerPlay Carbon Pro (they will go

along nicely with the seatpost and the wheels).

mcmoho_058.thumb.jpg

I also got new pedals (VP 104, like the ones I used to have, but in red) and new MTB-specific shoes

(Shimano SH-M160) - no more slippery and dangerous steps in road shoes!

mcmoho_062.thumb.jpg

Woohoo! Completed and looking exactly as I had envisaged it! It rides like a new bike (which it basically is)

and also much better than it has ever had. I'm really overwhelmed with the result.

mcmoho_063.thumb.jpg

Another dream come true... and Day 3 of the rebirth complete!

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=4