• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave_6785

1.1 With 1.9gti Alloys - Brake Options?

dave_6785

My Brakes are absolutely shot at on the 205 1.1 i've bought and is fitted with 1.9gti alloys, Within the next week or so i'm lookin at completely changing the brakes all round. What are my options spec wise?? I want the best brakes on a budget and dont know what i'll need if anything to upgrade to a higher spec.....

welshpug

1.9 discs with 1.6 calipers for a nice upgrade and light weight, or 1.9 calipers and 1.9 discs.

dave_6785

what about the rear??

zebedy101

Not really much you can do on the rear apart from get uprated drums? Or change to disks i'm not sure how easy that is on a base model beam though.

welshpug

drum rear brakes are perfectly up to the job, far better handbrake than a disc and much less prone to seizing up.

you can get a wider drum and shoe setup from a 1.6 gti, you'd need the backplates and wheel cylinders too.

dave_6785

would a set up (discs, capilers, pads) pulled straight off a 1.9gti fit straight onto the 1.1 as a replacement for the originals or would i need to chop and change things?

richsmells

Bolts straight on. Beware siezed bleed nipples and ropey copper pipes and hoses.

dave_6785

I'm also looking at Brembo brakes for a 1.9gti , what calipers and pads would go best with these?

Edited by dave_6785

richsmells

What calipers? 1.9 Girling calipers ideally, or lighter Bendix items from a 1.6 Gti. Either way, upgrading to the vented disks from a better model will make a large difference.

I would stick with standard disks, good quality standard pads to be honest. Anything else would just be expensive overkill. The difference will be quite apparent anyway.

Do a search for brake pads as there are good and bad, and they're a regular topic on here.

Edited by richsmells

kate205gti

i found the 1.9 alloys too heavy on mine - the cars only got about 20bhp lol :rolleyes: steelies made it go faster :lol:

dave_6785

mine feels nippy as hell with em on anway, 2nd gear gets to 55mph without worries and gets there around 10 seconds, top speed is over 95 which will do and its only got a full decat with big bore exhaust and a pipercross induction as performance mods. looking at stickin a 1.4 from a GR or XS & dropping the front on a 1.9gti set up with uprated brakes and a strut brace. I'd rather do all this to my car than use the money to buy a GTI. Daft maybe but the car deseves it lol

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz214/D...pg&newest=1

richsmells

Decat? it's a G plate :huh:

Have a read through some of the other member's projects, especially those with base model 205s. It will give you some good ideas for practical upgrades. Swordfish and Johnygoodhand's projects springs to mind.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=107936

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=91654

Edited by richsmells

swordfish210
Decat? it's a G plate :huh:

Have a read through some of the other member's projects, especially those with base model 205s. It will give you some good ideas for practical upgrades. Swordfish and Johnygoodhand's projects springs to mind.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=107936

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=91654

Thanks for the plug Rich ;) Seeing as it's only a 1.1 i would stick with the 1.6 calipers and 1.9 discs. I used to run this set-up on my XT and it coped fine with track user. I wouldnt bother with the Brembo discs, the car wont stop any better and your wallet will be lighter. Just get some Mintex pads they work fine. I think the 1.9 calipers will be a bit too heavy. As for the rear brakes i found that 1.6 drums were a bit overkill on a car with a light rear end (not sure of the state of yours but mine is completly gutted inside) the rears had a tendancy to lock up right when i didnt want it. Stick with the base model drums but give them an overhaul if you're desperate to do something.

dave_6785

Its funny you say that about the overhaul, took the car in to Kwikfit today for a free brake test, turns out the only decent thing on my braking system is my calipers and to fix it they wanted over £500! its needs absolutely everything else, Mintex 1.1 discs and pads to go on the standard calipers i can get for under £40, as this is now urgent i'm gunna stick with the 1.1 brakes, but for the rear prices rocket and my wallets tight as hell with less than a ton after the front, back needs everything, shoes are goosed, drums goosed, brake cylinders are leaking, spacers missing, brake hose needs changing and a couple of other bits that i cant remember, all i remember is i need absolutely everything for the rear brakes........... My only option on my budget seems to be buy everything from a complete car from a breaker but what engine spec models can i pick from as a replacment, i dont know what model comes with what drums etc... and need to broaden my search options to find the best used i can..... My knowledge of anything mechanical is limited but my budget is tight and the MOT date is nearing so i'm gunna do all the work myself, front look easy enough but the rears look interesting lol

richsmells

To be honest, brakes are not something you want to be messing about with or bodging if you don't know what you're doing. Do it once, do it right. Why not try an independent garage for a quote rather than the Kwik-fit monkies?

Wheel cylinders are about £15 a side. Hoses £7 each. Shoes £15-20 a set. Drums £25-30 ish each.

Edited by richsmells

richsmells

Edited by richsmells

dave_6785

fronts should be easy enough to do though shouldnt they? even if i sourced everything for the rears and got an independant garage to fit i'd be saving a load of money, kwikfit added £170 for bearings! I'm seriously thinking of buying a partly worn full rear brake set up and getting it fit for the MOT as a temp measure.

post-15314-1268332812.jpg