• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ORB

I Got A New Gti

ORB

So, as some of you may have known, I decided to part with my track inspired GTi MI16 due to time constraints and family practicallity. I really did not want to break the car so I let it go for a song. I am happy though as the guy who bought it lives locally to me and he seems to be smitten by it.

Anyway, thats by the by. I used the money to buy another GTI. I wanted a fairly standard spec car that I do not have to do loads and loads of work on.

I wanted a car quickly as I did not want my wife to find 'better' things to spend the money on.

So after a bit of searching, I bought this:

post-8645-1267999359.jpg

I sorted a deal and bought the car blind and sent one of my drivers to go get it. I admit, the car is not as described, but still, it will make a great car and I am not bothered about that! as it has some nice features.

I have Air Con, ABS and the factory fitted Alarm and remote.

Another bonus was, I pulled the cam belt cover off to have a look, and noticed an adonised Vernier Pully. The previous keeper knew nothing about it, but I called the owner before and he told me he put in a kent cam and the pully. He also told me the head had been sent away for porting and big valves, but he cant remember where it went. I suggested Longman and he thought it 'could have been'

The car goes like stink, but I am not willing to drive it at the moment as there are some niggles that I want to sort. This is where you lot come in.

The oil filter is a remote jobbie (due to the AC i guess) but it is all just cable tied into place and I am not happy with it. So before I service the car, I would like to get it to where it should be. Has anyone got any good info or even better pics of this?

Next up is the heater controls. The fan seems to run all the time, and it is 'clicky' I cant controll it from the middle knob in the heater panel as it does nothing. I took it to bits and found that the multi plug on the back of the PCB is not connected. When I connected it, the fan stopped and nothing else happens. I have no adjustment. Any ideas?

Finally, I would like any info or pictures on the engine bay for cars with AC and ABS as I want to start getting it sorted asap but I want some images to refer to?

Can ABS parts still be bought?

Any conversation you can add would be great.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I guess you get the idea as to what I am after.

Thanks.

Edited by ORB

ORB

I hope I can make it a MINTER over the next year or so, but the car will have to compete with wife/work and kids for my attention. Working 6 hours a week does not give me a lot of time, so I have to cheat and beg for answers rather than research them myself!

Thanks for the pic Baz, it looks just like that but mine is sort of cobbled up against the gearbox with cable ties/hose clips and blue tack :lol:

Daviewonder
Working 6 hours a week does not give me a lot of time

Really?

ORB

lol. oops. 60 :lol:

MerlinGTI

Love the title:

Just bought a GTI... Please help :ph34r: mwahahaha, so true.

Working 6 hours a week and still no spare time? Thats a hell of a lot of 'Trisha', daytime drinking and wank-a-thons you doing then :lol:

Edited by MerlinGTI

johno_78

You don't have to have a remote oil filter with the AC, it's just a pig to get to. The easiest way is to take the alternator off to get enough room to fit the filter direct to the block.

ORB

Does that not mean I have to lose the oil cooler? ? ?

brian j

The holes for the remote filter mountings are in the g/box casing and the casting that the oil pipes screw into. just find where they line up and pop some bolts in. It is sooo much easier than having the filter mounted on the front of the block. The oil filter/pipe union casting may have the mounting holes broken, but it isn't that hard to get second hand from here as most ph2s seem to have the same setup.

AJA_GTi

I was watching this on ebay - glad someone off here bought it it really looks good. The description or rater, lack of description, made me a bit wary of it but it's looks like is was a good buy.

I hope you get the bits sorted :wacko:

welshpug
Does that not mean I have to lose the oil cooler? ? ?

you don't have one anyway, its a Heat exchanger rather than a cooler, warms up the oil quicker and when the oil gets really hot then it does cool it down.

perfect for a road car, the air-oil on standard 1.9's is a bit OTT :wacko:

2-Pugs

ORB,

I have attatched a couple of pics below of my 1FM which has aircon and ABS for you. I can do you an 'annotated' drawing showing main things to look for etc if you like.

I have also attached a photo of my previous 1FM showing the remote oil cooler mounting area from when I had the front bumper all off.

In terms of ABS, there is some information out there. I found an original Peugeot workshop manual for the ABS system on eBay, which gives all the neccessary details for fault finding and part location etc. Unfortunately it makes freqeunt reference to a test device that Peugeot had which you can't find these days. I've also got several pages of scans from an autodata book which gives a wiring schematics for the system and fault finding procedures using a multimeter. Before I found any of that I also got hold of a complete ABS system including loom, sensors, etc, and spent a couple of evenings working out what wire went where and drew my own schematics from that. If you would like copies, drop me a line.

You can still get some parts from Peugeot, but they are f-ing expensive as you might expect. A wheel speed sensor is £120, the ECU about £600 and the modulater is about £700. I'd suggest you keep an eye out for used parts, though even they are hard to come by. I have collected used spares as and when I see them come up for sale, so have several of most bits.

If your ABS light is permenantly on, that means there is a fault somewhere. There is a method of reading the fault codes and finding out what the problem is by using the diagnostic socket and observing the number of flashes of the dash lamp. If you want more details on that I can elaborate on email perhaps.

As for Air Conditioning, there is even less information out there. I have never found any official schematics or documentation on it. There were even less cars with it fitted, so there are even less parts knocking about. However, it is pretty simple both electrically and hydraulically (if that is the right word!) to figure out. It uses the same vapour compression cycle as used in a fridge.

The big problem with the air con is that if it has not been 'upgraded' to work on the 'new' gas (R134a), then its a fairly big job to do, because there is an O-ring in each pipe join that needs to be replaced. Not expensive but time consuming. The only other serviceable item is the filter drier. Everything else should work with either gas. Avoid any drop-in gases that negate the need to do a proper upgrade, they are a temporary solution only.

Again most parts you can obtain from Peugeot, and I did find an independant place that stocks a filters etc whose name escpaes me at the moment, otherwise it's a case of watching and waiting on eBay!

Regarding your interior fan, you will have the setup that can work in recirculation mode, which is slightly different to the normal fan knob. All I can suggest is that you have a look at the gears behind the knob, that they are working ok, and check that the cable to the flap is free to move. It's a bit of a pain quite frankly and not very well designed because the flap take a lot of effort to move from one position to another, which leads to the teeth slipping.

Anyway, rambled a bit, but HTH!

Rob

post-86-1268054182_thumb.jpg

post-86-1268054190.jpg

post-86-1268054198.jpg

post-86-1268054205.jpg

ORB

Thanks alot!!

What I really need is to find a few hours and have a strip down and a tidy up. I think alot of my issues are related to lose pipes and poor care with mechanical work on the car.

I recon a right good service and 200 quid in paint will have it sorted out.

twoker1986

looks like a nice straight car could do with an engine with the same specs my self for my 205 cti