• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marcus

Removing A Whale Tail Spolier

Guest Marcus

Hi guys,

I'm after abit of help. I have purchased a 205 gti which has a whale tail spoiler (i think) but i dont like it. Well i want to remove it ... but i'm not sure where the hell to start. As anyone ever done anything like this before ? I've removed the boot and have it in my garage but dont know where to start.

100306_174833.jpg

100306_175035.jpg

If it cant be removed easy enough, how much is it worth ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Marcus

Daviewonder

Personally I'd get a new tailgate as that ones been smoothed and looks a bit chavtastic :P

Welcome along anyway :lol:

Edited by Daviewonder

jimistdt

I'm sure some kind soul on here will donate you a bootlid just so you don't have to wear that one!

I don't know how you'd go about getting it back to normal though,....... on second glance it looks like it just screwed on?

I dont think it would be worth much to anybody though.

Edited by jimistdt

MerlinGTI

629387-harpoon_large.jpg

:lol:

Probably screwed and glued mate. Judging by the amount of filler in that tailgate I would hazard a guess that any screw holes have been filled too. Look for slightly sunken screw sized holes and dig the filler out. If it is indeed glued as well, heat up the area with a heat gun and pull/peel it off.

Will probably knacker the spoiler but thats not a bad thing :D

Edited by MerlinGTI

omega

have a look where it fixs on the side near the glass as it must have some screws/glue there that should give you a start.

the proplem will be if you take it off you will have a mess left that will need paint etc,so if you dont like it the best /cheapest option would be to replace the whole lot

Cameron

Get a 2nd hand tailgate then smash that monstrosity to pieces with a massive hammer and send the bloke pictures of it. :lol:

Daviewonder

Then put the pictures on here for us to see :lol:

Guest Marcus

Thanks for the advise everyone, sorry for the delay work has been crazy.

I've put the thing on ebay and 4 people are watching it .... dont know why i couldnt do it to my car ... it's a crime. But hey cant speak for everyone. I have a boot lid as well from a friend who had a spare one laying around. So glad i have it looking more like the original. Just got to get rid of the alloys and she will be close to original that i want. The it's on to fixing the little things like jets not working.

Henry Yorke

That looks like the Equisse Auto Auxia spoiler which was a one of the nicer kits back in the day. Ecosse used to sell these so may be able to advise how it could be removed, though if it is original you want then I would replace the whole tailgate. There are plenty about buy just make sure that they are not rotten round the window seal and are the correct phase for the car. A GTI roof spoiler will fit a non GTI tailgate if you drill holes