• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeXS

Which Temperature Switch Do I Need?

GeorgeXS

The temp switch is knackered on my radiator, causing the radiator to run constantly, which also flattened my battery earlier this week :lol:

Question is which temp switch do i need?? Servicebox lists 12 different different ones rather helpfully.

Haynes manual says it will switch at 88/102 degrees however none of the ones listed correspond exactly.

Will something close to these temps do? Also do switches off anything else fit, 106, saxo, other 205s etc.

Cheers George

Guest steveontwin40s

hi, you say uv used service box, did you but ur chassis number in? i would of thought that any one that close should be ok but always good too have the right one!

welshpug

is yours a single speed or two speed fan? there's usually a coloured ring around the switch that gives an indication of what temps it switches at, and often enough the temperatures will be stamped into the brass/copper body.

if its the F reg in your sig it'll also have the earlier arrangement of spade terminals rather than a JPT plug with 3 inline pins.

Anthony

Personally, I usually run one of the cooler of the dual-speed switches - I think from memory it's 92/97 degrees, and corresponds roughly with the slow speed fan coming on a little past halfway on the gauge, and full speed fan around 3/4 or so. Just get whatever one will mean that the fan comes on a few degrees above the normal engine running temperature, and that'll be fine :lol:

GeorgeXS

Sh*t me you guys are quick on the ball.

No, I didn't put my chassis number into servicebox, forgot entirely about doing that. Shall have a go.

It is an F-Reg, never actually noticed if its 2 speed or not, presume it is due to anthony's reply but will check tomorrow.

Servicebox seems to suggest 92/97 switches are used in a few cars, will these all have the same screw thread, ie something PSA in a scrappy will do??

Anthony
Servicebox seems to suggest 92/97 switches are used in a few cars, will these all have the same screw thread, ie something PSA in a scrappy will do??

Yes, but you'll possibly need to change your car over to use the later style thermoswitch connector - my F-reg XS had the later style connector, whereas my F-reg GTi had the earlier. Most early-mid 90's PSA models without aircon use the same fitment of thermoswitch as later 205's - the 92/97 thermoswitches have a purple band on them if I recall.

GeorgeXS
Yes, but you'll possibly need to change your car over to use the later style thermoswitch connector - my F-reg XS had the later style connector, whereas my F-reg GTi had the earlier. Most early-mid 90's PSA models without aircon use the same fitment of thermoswitch as later 205's - the 92/97 thermoswitches have a purple band on them if I recall.

Thanks Anthony, thats really helpful.

welshpug

my 89 1.9 had the earlier plug and a 97/101 sender with the white-creamy coloured ring :lol:

DrSarty
with the white-creamy coloured ring :D

:lol: ^^^ :D

And remember OP you'll only get half-speed fan if you have the resistor in the 12v (thick) wire coming out of the relevant pin on the rad switch. Some people cut them out.

Edited by DrSarty