• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JRL

I Wana Mak My Ride Go Fasterer Init.

JRL

:) Before you call me a chav I do not like to put everything from Halfrauds on my 205 but I have got the bug for improvements. Might be quite nice if everyone could contribute their favourite mod and whether it made a difference for them. Rather than turbos, jenvies supercharging, and 3000 bhp twin engines, I am thinking smaller stuff.

Here is a couple from me:

1. FSE boost valve, many people say dont bother but I personally noticed a difference after fitting one and crudely adjusting it. It made my car slightly less hesitant at lower revs and gave slighlty better acceleration. Even more so once it was tuned at the rollers.

2. Magnecor leads. anyone notice a difference? I had cheaper ones but they were thicker and cant say I did notice anything.

Baz

Flux capacitor.

Made my car fly at 88mph! And runs on garbage!

Daviewonder
Flux capacitor.

Make sure its the 1.21 gigawatts version though.

Lan
Make sure its the 1.21 gigawatts version though.

agreed, I could only afford the cheaper 0.3 gigawatts version needless to say im still stuck in the circuits of time :)

hexhamstu
fluxcapacitor.jpg

lloydgti
fluxcapacitor.jpg

hhahahaha your a legend

omega

another popular mod that is cheap and gives you 10 mph is to fold the rear seats down,this reduces drag so the car is faster

boombang
1. FSE boost valve, many people say dont bother but I personally noticed a difference after fitting one and crudely adjusting it. It made my car slightly less hesitant at lower revs and gave slighlty better acceleration. Even more so once it was tuned at the rollers.

2. Magnecor leads. anyone notice a difference? I had cheaper ones but they were thicker and cant say I did notice anything.

1. If you consider the current fueling isout on AFM, fuel pump tired or current regulator tired, then this would make sense. If you car was/is at all hesitant at low revs though, you've only masked an issue rather than solved it.

2. I would ONLY fit Bougiecords or similar - they sit nicely over the top of the spark plug hole and stop crap going down there. A slim ended one is simply a way of ensuring when you lift the plug out, a load of dust, dirt and road grime falls into the cylinder.

24seven

Change the gearbox oil and fit some of Miles' gear rods and short shift. A nice, crisp, clean gearchange makes a lot of difference. :lol:

DamirGTI

Wont be much bhp gain without some proper mechanical mods :lol:

FSE - useless if not dangerous for std. engine (bore wash..) if it doesn't need more fuel for some reason (such as in the case of ported head ..)

performance leads - complete waste of money from my perspective

aftermarket performance air filters - ditto as above

performance spark plugs - as above

exhaust - this might do some improvement but it'll have to be complete system manifold+pipework+silencers (proper custom made) and ought to be a bloody good job to beat std. system

If you're on for "easy stuff" id suggest just good , proper , engine tune up on a rolling road - air/fuel mixture , ignition timing (get the dizzy inspected/re-curved first cos the springs inside tend to go a bit dickey after all this years , just re-tensioning them a bit will improve the idle like you wouldn't believe ! and so will pick up some lost power) , adjust the valve clearances as precisely as you can , fit new air filter/plugs/leads , change the oil with OE Purflux filter and it'll be spot on :wub:

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

Simes
:lol: Before you call me a chav I do not like to put everything from Halfrauds on my 205 but I have got the bug for improvements. Might be quite nice if everyone could contribute their favourite mod and whether it made a difference for them. Rather than turbos, jenvies supercharging, and 3000 bhp twin engines, I am thinking smaller stuff.

Here is a couple from me:

I think what everyone is trying to say is that unless you make some serious mods do not bother with the above. Spend you money on servicing the car and get it running well first.

Cameron

Tuning 8V's is a right pain really, as they really don't seem to respond well to any of the cheaper aftermarket mods. You could spend £1000 quite easily on an exhaust manifold and system, induction kit, mild cam and adjustable pulley and you'd only make a gain of 10bhp or so if you were really lucky.

If you're after bang for buck then the single best modification you can make is fitting a 16V engine, and this has been said time and time again on here. You're likely to spend a few hundred quid on a decent GTi6 engine (they're probably the ones to go for now, since most Mi16's will need a rebuild) and then a few hundred again getting someone to fit it for you. But the returns are so much greater. I'll be nice to the 8V and say you spent £750 on the list of mods above, and you got a 10bhp gain from it. Then if you spent exactly the same amount (which you won't) on a conversion then you're making a gain of 37bhp, so almost 4 times as much! It makes sense. :lol:

Of course if you want to keep it original (and who would blame you) then you're best off just getting the 8V running sweet, you may get a few horsepower from little mods but is it really worth it?

Edited by Cameron

Cameron

Actually what am I saying?

If this is your first time tuning a car, which I'm guessing it is, then it's probably going to be quite valuable to you to do all the little bits and bobs like fitting induction kits, exhausts, cams etc; I know it was for me! If I'd jumped straight in to an engine conversion then I'd probably end up like a worrying majority of people do and have either a complete dog s*it mess and bodge-fest, or I'd have sold the car incomplete through running out of patience and money! :lol:

So there you go, 2 reasonably informative posts from me that are completely contradictory and add up to nothing! Basically, there's nothing wrong with fruitlessly chasing horsepower on an unsuitable engine, at least it teaches you the basics and gets your hands dirty! But if you're just after a quicker car and don't care about how you get there, do an engine conversion. :wub:

Edited by Cameron

swordfish210
Flux capacitor.

I have to ask, have you been watching Back To The Future lately, you seem to be quoting it quite a lot :lol:

steve@cornwall

Thinking from a monetary perspective, the most cost effective way at the moment of getting more power from an original spec'ed 205 GTi would be to sell it and buy a ready converted Mi or GTi-6 engined car as good original cars are beginning to command quite a premium!

Daviewonder

Nice looking car/conversion :lol:

kate205gti

could consider moving the washer bottle to under the slam panel, and moving the battery to the boot - give you some extra space in there for a K&N and get some better cold air flow?

Pugnut
another popular mod that is cheap and gives you 10 mph is to fold the rear seats down,this reduces drag so the car is faster

the beauty of this mod is that it also reduces your centre of gravity making cornering schweeet.

hcmini1989

nice looking motor mate.is in not fast enough with that engine in .there was a topic lately if you do a search about the little suttle mods people do to a 205 to make it better but not so much faster.

but if your after faster have a look at petert cam regrinds and chips i think theres a group buy going on at the minute .and maybe an adjustible pulley.these are supposed to make for a nice upgrade

JRL

thanks I am no mechanic but I enjoy getting stuck in couldnt have done it witout my friend. you are right about the cold air feed that is my next job to sort out. I really like the Baker bm shortened inlet hose I have a large green cotton air filter to replace my mushroom and I have just stripped a standard webber throttle after cleaning it up. i bought the mushroom as a quick fix. I have considered moving the battery to the back I started stripping the rear of my car wow what a weight all the seats and plastic adds up to!

http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=sih16v205

JRL

hcmin1989, thats what I mean little things improve and modify.

dcc

best mod by far is to get a tidy suspension setup! carrying speed through corners > straight line speed!

Cheap speed = nos.

danpug

How about fitting the turbo setup/management from the XU10 turbo as Henry Yorke has done? Good power to be had and lots of torque.